Decw$keymap for PC 105 keyboard?
Add Reply
Paul Hardy
2017-04-05 16:13:19 UTC
Does anyone have a Decw$keymap file for a PC keyboard layout to send me?
Specifically I need a 105 key UK one, although I don't mind editing a close
relative.

The context is running a simulated VMS VAXstation on SimH with a USB PC
keyboard - most keys are ok, except I can't use the key next to Return on
the J, K, L line that has # and ~ on it - any clue as to its key code
number?

If I connect a terminal session using Putty, then I get a workable key
mapping (including keypad so I can use EDT) so I know the keyboard can work
ok with VMS. I just have to get the keystrokes via SimH's graphics device
and through Decwindows.
Bob Koehler
2017-04-05 20:00:55 UTC
Post by Paul Hardy
Does anyone have a Decw$keymap file for a PC keyboard layout to send me?
Specifically I need a 105 key UK one, although I don't mind editing a close
relative.
The context is running a simulated VMS VAXstation on SimH with a USB PC
keyboard - most keys are ok, except I can't use the key next to Return on
the J, K, L line that has # and ~ on it - any clue as to its key code
number?
If I connect a terminal session using Putty, then I get a workable key
mapping (including keypad so I can use EDT) so I know the keyboard can work
ok with VMS. I just have to get the keystrokes via SimH's graphics device
and through Decwindows.
You don't say what your host is. If it had an X server, and you
can connect to an X client, then xev should tell you all about that
key.
Paul Hardy
2017-04-10 16:31:02 UTC
Post by Bob Koehler
Post by Paul Hardy
Does anyone have a Decw$keymap file for a PC keyboard layout to send me?
Specifically I need a 105 key UK one, although I don't mind editing a close
relative.
The context is running a simulated VMS VAXstation on SimH with a USB PC
keyboard - most keys are ok, except I can't use the key next to Return on
the J, K, L line that has # and ~ on it - any clue as to its key code
number?
If I connect a terminal session using Putty, then I get a workable key
mapping (including keypad so I can use EDT) so I know the keyboard can work
ok with VMS. I just have to get the keystrokes via SimH's graphics device
and through Decwindows.
You don't say what your host is. If it had an X server, and you
can connect to an X client, then xev should tell you all about that
key.
I'm running SimH on a Raspberry Pi 3 (getting 4.1 VUPs) or an Intel i3 NUC
(getting 23 VUPs), or an i5 PC (getting 41 VUPs). With the Pi and xev or
the PC with xming and xev it returns 51 as the key code for the offending
key. Running xev on the emulated VAXstation returns nothing for that key,
but a set of codes for all the other keys that differ from the underlying
host - increasing by 1 top to bottom for columns down the keyboard, rather
than increasing for rows across it.

It looks as if I need to look at the source code for SIMH's QVSS emulation,
as it must be doing key remapping to try and match an LK201 keyboard.

I'd still like a Decw$keymap file for any PC keyboard though, to help me
sort out the keypad and function keys. Did anyone here run Decwindows with
a PC keyboard?
--
Paul at the paulhardy.net domain