First boot contest
2017-01-24 13:31:28 UTC
Is it still too early for the first boot contest for VMS on x86-64
or do you think it's about time it got underway ?

Bob Koehler
2017-01-24 14:10:06 UTC
I just want to see the video on YouTube.
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-01-24 14:30:11 UTC
Is it still too early for the first boot contest for VMS on x86-64
or do you think it's about time it got underway ?
Simon.
With the complexity of todays boot infrastructure, can you
even decide when the "forst boot" happend? Does it include
virtualization environments?
Simon Clubley
2017-01-24 18:11:18 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
Post by Simon Clubley
Is it still too early for the first boot contest for VMS on x86-64
or do you think it's about time it got underway ?
With the complexity of todays boot infrastructure, can you
even decide when the "forst boot" happend?
First boot is when you can issue a directory command from DCL.
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
Does it include virtualization environments?
I'm not really concerned about this bit as it's mainly a matter
of hardware support whether VMS runs within a virtual or physical
machine. It doesn't really affect the core development which has to
be done to get VMS to the stage where you can do a $ DIR from DCL.

c***@gmail.com
We are not ready just yet. I'm thinking about a "trigger" - when we get to that point then the contest will start. The time between trigger and first boot should be reasonable in length but not exceedingly long. Stay tuned.
Simon Clubley
2017-01-24 18:53:52 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
We are not ready just yet. I'm thinking about a "trigger" - when we get to
that point then the contest will start. The time between trigger and first
boot should be reasonable in length but not exceedingly long. Stay tuned.
Thanks Clair. It's nice to know that you have the first boot contest
in mind when the time comes.

2017-01-24 20:35:00 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
Does it include virtualization environments?
I'm not really concerned about this bit as it's mainly a matter
of hardware support whether VMS runs within a virtual or physical
machine. It doesn't really affect the core development which has to
be done to get VMS to the stage where you can do a $ DIR from DCL.
Simon.
Just because it's me, I'm going to suggest that being able to run a particular
utility, and see what's on a disk, isn't really indicative of beng able to load
an OS into memory, start it up, and have it do "OS type of things".

But, if that's how you want to define something, have at ....
c***@gmail.com
We will do exactly what we have done in the past - bring the system up, login, do a directory command and get the right answer. That's it.
Craig A. Berry
2017-01-25 01:23:20 UTC
Just because it's me, I'm going to suggest that being able to run a
particular utility, and see what's on a disk, isn't really indicative of
beng able to load an OS into memory, start it up, and have it do "OS
type of things".
How could the command parser and image loader and file system be
functioning if the OS had not booted?
David Froble
2017-01-25 05:24:49 UTC
Just because it's me, I'm going to suggest that being able to run a
particular utility, and see what's on a disk, isn't really indicative of
beng able to load an OS into memory, start it up, and have it do "OS
type of things".
How could the command parser and image loader and file system be
functioning if the OS had not booted?
They wouldn't. But the OS could be functional, but DCL might not be.

Doesn't matter, Clair has specified the conditions. The edict has come down
from on high.

:-)
c***@gmail.com
2017-01-25 19:53:55 UTC
Just because it's me, I'm going to suggest that being able to run a
particular utility, and see what's on a disk, isn't really indicative of
beng able to load an OS into memory, start it up, and have it do "OS
type of things".
How could the command parser and image loader and file system be
functioning if the OS had not booted?
They wouldn't. But the OS could be functional, but DCL might not be.
Doesn't matter, Clair has specified the conditions. The edict has come down
from on high.
:-)
From an Appendix in the Story of the Port…...

These files contain the 1361 modules that completed the first boot of OpenVMS on Integrity.

vms_loader.efi

ipb.exe

sysboot.exe

sys$public_vectors.exe