Marketing ideas for VMS ?
2017-02-15 02:21:10 UTC
This thread is designed to solicit ideas about the marketing of VMS
that VSI might be able to use.

This falls into two categories:

1) letting people know that VSI actually exists, that they are porting
VMS to x86-64 and for generating an overall "buzz" about the port and

2) ideas for why VSI should be considered for providing a viable VMS
solution in the future.

A third category is targetting VMS to brand new customers who have
never heard of VMS before, but I don't think that VMS is currently
in a state where that is likely to meet with much success.

Therefore, I personally think such marketing should focus on existing
or previous VMS users who already know VMS. If you think I am wrong
about that, then please say so, but also say _why_ I am wrong about this.

I think as a matter of urgency we need to focus on 1) above in order
to try and reduce the immediate rate of decline in the VMS user
population by letting people know a future version of VMS is coming
and that VMS is not dead.

So, what marketing ideas do you have ?

As for me, I wonder if VSI are currently running an Adwords campaign
for the various porting away from VMS phrases because that would
seem to be an ideal way to reach customers who are currently actively
looking to move away from VMS.

IanD
2017-02-15 05:53:31 UTC
[...]
Excellent thread...

I came up with a cheap one that requires no 'advertising budget' (but will require someone's time)

I suggested that 'someone' (VSI) do a simple Google search looking for articles that tell the story that VMS is dead (you know the one, about VMS being taken out the back and shot...) and updating the article if possible (contacting the website etc) and/or adding updated comments to show this is no longer the case

I've updated a few comments on posts that I've found but I think that this would be something VSI could do for very cheap and post in a form they would be happy with...
seasoned_geek
2017-02-17 12:47:45 UTC
Well, this Novella

http://lesedi.us/

mentions OpenVMS multiple times. Finally launched it this past week. Once SmashWords finishing chewing on it the novella will be available to all of their non-Amazon subscriber sites. Here is a snippet where they are discussing it, not the entire discussion, just a snippet.

“You aren’t making any sense, son,” said Matthew. “I do thank you for keeping the uglier details away from the young ones though.”

Lesedi nodded and continued. “The people who were in charge of infrastructures around the world pleaded with the U.N. to step in and quite simply the officials stepped out. We were all told that in order to have an effective and functioning infrastructure three things were required: sufficient potable water, reliable electricity, and OpenVMS.”

“What the hell is OpenVMS?” asked Billy.

“Billy! Your language!” exclaimed Madeline.

“Sorry, mom,” he replied.

“I had never heard of it either,” offered Lesedi, “but the company which owned it was planning on shutting it down. ‘End of life’ they called it. We were besieged with claims that upper management at the company was little more than
aerobic bacteria and . . .”

“Um,” interrupted Billy again, “most of us here never went to college.”

“Didn’t have to for that one, son,” stated Caleb. “It is the bacteria in a septic system’s leach field. I will give you three guesses as to what it feeds on.”

“Oh,” replied Billy. He thought for a second and said, “That was real polite, mister, but we still don’t know what OpenVMS is.”
IanD
2017-03-13 18:46:03 UTC
Wow, 3 responses including the original post...

What does the marketing arm at VSI suggest?

What's working for them and how can we help?

Perhaps ramp up the twitter use a bit? (post history lists as, 27-Jan-2017 (4 months), 17-Oct-2016 (6 months), 21-Apr-2016 (3 months)...)
Simon Clubley
2017-03-14 14:00:24 UTC
Post by IanD
Wow, 3 responses including the original post...
I know. :-(
Post by IanD
What does the marketing arm at VSI suggest?
What marketing arm ?

gérard Calliet
2017-03-13 20:16:47 UTC
[...]
Simon.
Very good idea.

I propose a fourth category: to construct a coherent discourse exposing
why VMS ecosystem is a specific and wonderfull ecosystem, why it
survived, how its very long life cycle is itself an important element
for computer science, how the investment logic on it is an interesting
business subject,...

An event in our world is when something new happens, and every second
something *very* new happens, and it is boring.

The event of VMS revival, doing innovation from very old things,
creating, for example, a startup of sixty-four old people, is *realy*
new, and *realy* fun.

Jazzmen are innovative doing subtle differences on very old things, and
it is more fun than Schoenberg - my opinion -. VMS revival is innovative
because it can redo fundamental choices in computing, with very fun
subtle differences.

(Thanks to Simon, I assume this evening my poet part :) )

Gérard Calliet

---
2017-03-18 14:09:19 UTC
gérard Calliet via Info-vax
Sent: March 13, 2017 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Info-vax] Marketing ideas for VMS ?
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
While there are obviously a number of areas (tools, security etc) to
be enhanced and/or upgraded in the future, one key differentiator for
OpenVMS is that a number of key components of applications today like
HA, data consistency, cluster node mgmt., DB sharding, routing of back
end DB updates, is handled at the Application layer using a shared
nothing model while on OpenVMS, these are handled at the OS layer
(DLM, shadowing, active-active updates from any system) using a shared
disk model.

Imho, once some of the enhancements are in place, a marketing strategy
might be to position the OpenVMS platform as a means to simplify
developer coding complexity by embedding a number of those App coders
requirements into the OS and hence, making it simpler for developers
so they no longer have to worry about many of these issues.

Case in point- The following are issues that shared nothing,
distributed model developers have to deal with today.

Making the Case for Building Scalable Stateful Services in the Modern
Era:
http://highscalability.com/blog/2015/10/12/making-the-case-for-buildin
g-scalable-stateful-services-in-t.html

Building scalable stateful services - from well known Twitter
developer: Again - remember, these are issues the developers have to
handle in EACH of their different applications.

One could argue that OpenVMS does not fit that well into a highly
distributed model - at least compared to alternatives. However, given
the huge increases in centralized compute HW (60TB single disks, TB's
of local non-volatile memory), perhaps its time to position OpenVMS
marketing at how OpenVMS's centralized shared disk model can be better
positioned to take advantage of these new HW enhancements and at the
same time, simplify developers coding complexity requirements.