Changin VMS TPC/IP domain name
Lee Gleason
2017-04-14 20:22:28 UTC
I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
name to a different domain.

What's the hot setup for doing this?

Thanks

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
***@comcast.net
Steven Schweda
2017-04-14 21:56:39 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
name to a different domain.
What's the hot setup for doing this?
Define "hot setup"? Normally, I'd use
SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG.COM. My newer version (V5.7 -
ECO 5) says:

HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Core Environment Configuration Menu

Configuration options:

1 - Domain
[...]

Enter configuration option: 1

DOMAIN Configuration

Enter Internet domain [antinode.info]:

Otherwise, I'd guess something like:

tcpip set name_service /domain = XXX
Lee Gleason
2017-04-14 22:14:59 UTC
Post by Steven Schweda
Post by Lee Gleason
I'm running VAX/VMS 7.3, TCP/IP services 5.1. I need to change the domain
name to a different domain.
What's the hot setup for doing this?
Define "hot setup"? Normally, I'd use
You know, the hot setup - what the fast guys, the cool, tuned in, in the
know hep cats do when they need to do this...
Post by Steven Schweda
Enter configuration option: 1
DOMAIN Configuration
Ah, I had tried that, but it didn't look like it worked. But I struck the
rock a second time, and rebooted, and it looks like it did the business.

Thanks

-
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
***@comcast.net
Steven Schweda
2017-04-14 23:30:06 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
You know, the hot setup - what the fast guys, the cool,
tuned in, in the know hep cats do when they need to do
this...
Ah. I thought that that was the "cool setup". Not being
hep myself, I conjectured that "hot setup" might be one which
avoids a reboot. I also don't know how dynamic that setting
is, so I would not be amazed if a stop-start of TCPIP were
needed to make it effective. A full reboot should certainly
be an adequate club.
Post by Lee Gleason
[...] it looks like it did the business.
What could go wrong?