Mailing Lists
2017-04-21 17:03:38 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?

2017-04-21 18:27:01 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
I believe risks-digest predates VMS itself.
It's possible the telecom-digest does as well.
2017-04-21 19:01:40 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
I believe risks-digest predates VMS itself.
It's possible the telecom-digest does as well.
--scott
The SF Lovers list seems to be the oldest mentioned so far.
First originated on ARPANet.

2017-04-21 20:19:46 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
I believe risks-digest predates VMS itself.
It's possible the telecom-digest does as well.
The SF Lovers list seems to be the oldest mentioned so far.
First originated on ARPANet.
Hmm, I didn't see sf-lovers until maybe '83, but it looks like the first
post was from '79 which makes it a couple years older than risks-digest.

What about human-nets? Is that still around even? I am pretty sure that
dsc-list is long gone, as is stupid-list.
2017-04-21 22:39:40 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
GG has references to INFO-VAX back to April 1987.

2017-04-21 23:01:37 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
GG has references to INFO-VAX back to April 1987.
Arne
That's interesting, as the first VAX wasn't available until 1988, if I recall
correctly. Then again, I didn't have the first one, it might have been 1987.
Arne Vajhøj
2017-04-21 23:24:07 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
GG has references to INFO-VAX back to April 1987.
That's interesting, as the first VAX wasn't available until 1988, if I
recall correctly. Then again, I didn't have the first one, it might
have been 1987.
I think you mean 1978 or 1977.

2017-04-22 00:26:09 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
GG has references to INFO-VAX back to April 1987.
That's interesting, as the first VAX wasn't available until 1988, if I
recall correctly. Then again, I didn't have the first one, it might
have been 1987.
I think you mean 1978 or 1977.
Yes, and another senior moment is exposed.

2017-04-22 00:11:33 UTC
Over on a mailing list (not crossposted to Usenet) there is
a discussion about what might be the oldest Mailing List
still in operation. The one in question just passed 20 years.
Anybody know the date of the first message on the VMS List?
GG has references to INFO-VAX back to April 1987.
Arne
That's interesting, as the first VAX wasn't available until 1988, if I
recall correctly. Then again, I didn't have the first one, it might
have been 1987.
Earlier than that. I saw my first VAX in the Geography and Computer
Science Department at USMA in 82 or 83. Was actively competing with
them at Martin Marietta in the 84-86 timefram.

2017-04-24 00:22:47 UTC
That's interesting, as the first VAX wasn't available until 1988, if I recall
correctly. Then again, I didn't have the first one, it might have been 1987.
If VMS had really been designed and implemented in the mid 1980s
instead of the mid 1970s then I strongly suspect VSI would have
completed their port to x86-64 by now. :-)

(Yes, I know we've had that discussion before and yes I know that
the original VMS design was very much a product of the mid 1970s
OS mindset and available hardware environment.)

2017-04-21 23:24:29 UTC
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/comp.os.vms/hY-Hf7Ffgy4/mSRjGiczSoIJ