GUI aplication on VMS.
Andrey Savin
2003-12-24 10:32:12 UTC
Hi,

I've upgrade my OpenVMS VAX to OpenVMS Alpha.
On the OpenVMS VAX work of clients application
On the OpenVMS VAX work of exhibit of clients at the following scheme:

OpenVMS VAX <=set disp/cre/node=xxx=> VXT Terminal (X-Server + GUI)

My old GUI-applications was development under the Teleuse graphical editor.
Now I'm porting Qt-free-3.2.1 (from Trolltech http://www.trolltech.com) and it work.

The VXT Terminal too old and anyone has thoughts that
possible use instead of the VXT Terminal,
important to there to be X-Server.

OpenVMS AXP <====> ??? (may be any a thin client)

Andrey.
Bob Koehler
2003-12-24 13:35:58 UTC
Post by Andrey Savin
Hi,
The VXT Terminal too old and anyone has thoughts that
possible use instead of the VXT Terminal,
important to there to be X-Server.
I've been using my VXT with my Alpha since the day I bought them
together. Works great.
Fabio Cardoso
2003-12-24 21:33:30 UTC
Post by Bob Koehler
Post by Andrey Savin
Hi,
The VXT Terminal too old and anyone has thoughts that
possible use instead of the VXT Terminal,
important to there to be X-Server.
I've been using my VXT with my Alpha since the day I bought them
together. Works great.
Try a X-Terminal Software like Reflection X ! It works fine !

Regards and merry X-MAS !

FC
Richard B. Gilbert
FC
Fabio Cardoso
2003-12-26 17:58:21 UTC
Post by Richard B. Gilbert
How do you get the "DEC Keypad" to work in Reflection X? I've never
been able to figure it out!
Post by Fabio Cardoso
Post by Bob Koehler
Post by Andrey Savin
Hi,
The VXT Terminal too old and anyone has thoughts that
possible use instead of the VXT Terminal,
important to there to be X-Server.
I've been using my VXT with my Alpha since the day I bought them
together. Works great.
Try a X-Terminal Software like Reflection X ! It works fine !
Regards and merry X-MAS !
FC
I am not using R-X at this moment for OVMS ! Just for Solaris !
But I dont remember If I needet to configure something...
In the eXcursion I needed to redefine the portuguese keyboard to
use under OVMS !

Regards

FC
JOUKJ
2004-01-02 11:38:13 UTC
Post by Andrey Savin
Now I'm porting Qt-free-3.2.1 (from Trolltech http://www.trolltech.com) and it work.
Are you going to make the port available for others. I'm very interested
in a OpenVMS port of Qt.

Jouk
Andrey Savin
Yes. It will available with the GPL licence (native from "Qt-free").
b***@gmail.com
2017-02-16 16:40:38 UTC
Post by Andrey Savin
Post by JOUKJ
Post by Andrey Savin
Now I'm porting Qt-free-3.2.1 (from Trolltech http://www.trolltech.com) and it work.
Are you going to make the port available for others. I'm very interested
in a OpenVMS port of Qt.
Jouk
Yes. It will available with the GPL licence (native from "Qt-free").
Andrey,

I have a customer looking for a version of QT that runs under OpenVMS. They have an old application that they are looking to support. Did you finish the port of Qt-free-3.2.1? Is it available anywhere?

Thank you,

Brian
Stephen Hoffman
2017-02-16 17:11:41 UTC
On Monday, January 5, 2004...
I have a customer looking for a version of QT that runs under OpenVMS.
They have an old application that they are looking to support. Did you
finish the port of Qt-free-3.2.1? Is it available anywhere?
Welcome to the comp.os.vms newsgroup! FWIW, you're replying to a
newsgroup posting from 2004 via a web front end at Google, so it's not
at all certain that the folks that posted this will see your request.

There's no port of Free Qt on any "recent" OpenVMS Freeware, nor on the
Delft freeware site, nor readily listed nor otherwise available. As
you've probably already (not) found.

Probably best to check with the folks at https://www.qt.io as the
specific licensing that would be involved with OpenVMS is not entirely
clear. All the old pointers I can locate are stale, too.

As an alternative, fetch the current Free Qt distro, and see how easily
it (or "enough of it") ports to OpenVMS for your customer?

Qt was never commonly used with OpenVMS, so I'm not at all sure why an
old application (presumably for OpenVMS) would have Qt as a dependency.
But then stranger things have happened, certainly.

The pvbrowser folks https://pvbrowser.de/ reportedly had a Qt port
around for OpenVMS, but I've not rummaged that site nor
https://github.com/pvbrowser/pvb for details. Check the

Failing all that, can you back up a few steps and describe a few more
details around the particular software and OpenVMS environment with the
Qt dependency, and the associated customer requirements around Qt?
seasoned_geek
2017-02-17 01:01:24 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
I have a customer looking for a version of QT that runs under OpenVMS. They have an old application that they are looking to support. Did you finish the port of Qt-free-3.2.1? Is it available anywhere?
When I first started using Qt, when Qt 4.x came out, the current owners of the product had now interest in porting to OpenVMS. Then Nokia had no interest, then Digia had no interest. The name of the company has changed but it is still what was Digia.

Qt 3.x was massively different from Qt 4.x. When Qt 5.x came out it was significantly different than Qt 4.x but, if you hadn't pushed the envelop, after fixing the header files, simpler code would still work.

There has been some serious hardware coupling/specifics/etc. with graphics. They have added some higher level support for OpenGL but you would need a compatible OpenGL layer. https://www.kdab.com/opengl-in-qt-5-1-part-1/

Before you could even start compiling Qt for OpenVMS from one of the OpenSource versions you would need to get the configure program to compile. That checks environments and tools, etc. It looks for things in specific places on the various platforms so you would need to do some serious mods there starting with adding a defined constant to identify OpenVMS.

The Qt SQL classes do not have any idea what RDB is, just a short list of PC specific databases. The QFile and QDir classes have no concept of RMS directory structures or file versioning. All they know is Linux and everything is converted to Linux internally and it is called canonical format or something like that.

Sorry, tired. It has been a long day.

When last I spoke with any of the powers that be, they said they wouldn't even accept a port of Qt to OpenVMS back to be included in the code base. There primary focus is embedded systems with touch screens and identity theft enabling idiot phones. If your client does undertake such a laudable effort, they will be stuck with maintaining it for the rest of their existence.

A better question is what happened to the version of Qt they had for their old program? If it really is written with Qt on OpenVMS:

1) I really really really want to see the code
2) I really really really want to look at the comments in the source to find out who ported Qt to OpenVMS, wrote an app with it, then let the port die.

There used to be some "other" libraries for C/C++ back in the day which used Q for much of their function/class naming schema. I don't remember what they were, but I remember seeing them during the days of BBS systems and shareware.

If you really do have all of the source for the application _AND_ if it was really built with Qt there should be a .pro file which qmake used to build the project. The contents will look a bit like this:

#-------------------------------------------------
#
# Project created by QtCreator 2016-01-23T16:08:56
#
#-------------------------------------------------

QT += core gui serialport

greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets

TARGET = serial_keypad
TEMPLATE = app

SOURCES += main.cpp\
mainwindow.cpp \
serialthread.cpp

HEADERS += mainwindow.h \
serialthread.h

FORMS += mainwindow.ui

It will look quite a bit different if it really is Qt 3.x.

Personally I've never heard of anyone actually completing a port of Qt to OpenVMS. Some little geek who managed to do that really should have been bragging.
seasoned_geek
2017-02-17 01:06:43 UTC
Per Hoff's link I took a look. If I get time over the weekend I might pull down the file here:

https://pvbrowser.de/pvbrowser/index.php?lang=en&menu=6&left=5

But given the description about only the server running on OpenVMS I wouldn't hold out much hope.

For the old Qt 3.x based version they have the following disclaimer:

For compiling and linking the sources you need the Qt3 SDK.