Alpha Console Access Question
David J Dachtera
2006-02-03 03:27:56 UTC
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.

I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?

When I say "PCM", I'm implicitly including CA's Unicenter console
product and ConsoleWorks from TDITX.
--
David J Dachtera
dba DJE Systems

Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
Ken Robinson
2006-02-03 04:55:52 UTC
Post by David J Dachtera
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?
At my previous job, we had the GS1280 opa0: ports hooked up to
Consoleworks and you could get to MBM by entering the correct escape
sequence as long as you were at the ">>>" prompt.

Do you mean access that way or a different way?

Ken
David J Dachtera
2006-02-04 19:38:21 UTC
Post by Ken Robinson
Post by David J Dachtera
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?
At my previous job, we had the GS1280 opa0: ports hooked up to
Consoleworks and you could get to MBM by entering the correct escape
sequence as long as you were at the ">>>" prompt.
Do you mean access that way or a different way?
Well, I actually meant "Use PCM to access the MBM on GS1280s via
reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and possibly
thence to access OPA0: also via PCM", though perhaps it wouldn't be
"reverse" TELNET, really.

I can understand the caveat against connecting the WAN port of the SMC
Barricade to the corporate LAN, since little or nothing the other side
of it presents any kind of a password or other challenge before serious
negative impact can be imposed.

So, perhaps the terminal server route is best, eve if one lack PCM or
any of its kin.

Ken Fairfield
2006-02-06 19:32:45 UTC
David J Dachtera wrote:
[...]
Post by David J Dachtera
Well, I actually meant "Use PCM to access the MBM on GS1280s via
reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and possibly
thence to access OPA0: also via PCM", though perhaps it wouldn't be
"reverse" TELNET, really.
I can understand the caveat against connecting the WAN port of the SMC
Barricade to the corporate LAN, since little or nothing the other side
of it presents any kind of a password or other challenge before serious
negative impact can be imposed.
So, perhaps the terminal server route is best, eve if one lack PCM or
any of its kin.
I've been following this conversation without fully understanding
because I have no experience with the GS-class machines and, so,
am not familiar with the terms being tossed around. However...

If you have ports on the GS that answer to telnet, PCM will connect
to them just fine through your terminal server(s). While most of our
console ports (to the Alphas) do use serial connections to the terminal
servers, we use telnet from the terminal servers to our Brocade switches
(they don't have serial connections). This works just fine.

In addition, we've been able to have PCM monitor remote VMS systems
directly via rlogin (actually, SET HOST/RLOGIN, but that's a detail
the guy who wrote it decided to use) and a dedicated account on the
target cluster. (The point of doing this isn't important, the point
is, it can be done.) The trick here was to configure the "system" as
"Connection" type "Pseudo-Terminal" and to provide a command file to
execute as the "Command", e.g., "@dev:[dir]My_Proc". Within My_Proc,
one does the rlogin. The user on the remote end has to be set up to
provide some output, e.g., have the user's login.com Set Term/Broadcast
and Reply/Enab=(some classess), and whatever else you want. (We do
this with an account that is Restricted, Captive and has DisReconnect
set.)

I don't know if this answers any of your questions, but it should show
that there is a *lot* you can do with PCM...and a little ingenuity. :-)

Regards, Ken
--
I don't speak for Intel, Intel doesn't speak for me...

Ken Fairfield
D1C Automation VMS System Support
who: kenneth dot h dot fairfield
where: intel dot com
David J Dachtera
2006-02-07 02:13:50 UTC
[snip]
I don't know if this answers any of your questions, but it should show
that there is a *lot* you can do with PCM...and a little ingenuity. :-)
Now, if we could just a work-around for the lack of sufficient system
licenses...

Dave Harrold
2006-02-03 16:35:42 UTC
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:27:56 -0600, David J Dachtera
Post by David J Dachtera
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?
Haven't tried it, so don't know for sure. One caution against is HP's
recommendation to not put the router on your production network, but
have an isolated network. If you are installing another network
adapter in the console system to talk to your GS1280 routers, that
would be O.K.
Post by David J Dachtera
When I say "PCM", I'm implicitly including CA's Unicenter console
product and ConsoleWorks from TDITX.
We use ConsoleWorks from TDI to manage the consoles on the 1280s and
just us a terminal server to the serial port on the system box.

I would think a "reverse-TELNET" connection would work, but don't
know. I know ConsoleWorks can do that and you can find the port
numbers for the router....

Hope that helps.

Dave Harrold

David Harrold E-Mail: ***@aurora.org
Lead Software Systems Engineer Phone: (414) 647-6204
Pager: (414) 941-4634
Aurora Health Care Fax: (414) 647-4999
3031 W. Montana Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Bob Blunt
2006-02-04 20:55:27 UTC
Post by David J Dachtera
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?
When I say "PCM", I'm implicitly including CA's Unicenter console
product and ConsoleWorks from TDITX.
The network MBM port has an IP address and reverse-TELNET is how any of
the console management tools (including the AMS/AMU variant available
from HP) would communicate with it. You can connect a terminal server
port to the serial console port for the GS1280 instead (or both), but
ONLY one can be used at a time.

bob
David J Dachtera
2006-02-06 03:40:10 UTC
Post by Bob Blunt
Post by David J Dachtera
O.k. Folks here have posted about using VCS/PCM and successors to this
day to manage their Alpha, HSx, etc. consoles.
I'm wondering if anyone is doing this: Use PCM to access the MBM on
GS1280s via reverse-TELNET thru port mapping on the SMC Barricade, and
possibly thence to access OPA0: also via PCM?
When I say "PCM", I'm implicitly including CA's Unicenter console
product and ConsoleWorks from TDITX.
The network MBM port has an IP address and reverse-TELNET is how any of
the console management tools (including the AMS/AMU variant available
from HP) would communicate with it. You can connect a terminal server
port to the serial console port for the GS1280 instead (or both), but
ONLY one can be used at a time.
Well, to be more specific, only one can be used as OPA0: at a time
(either the TELNET session or the serial proit, but not both), and only
one TELNET session the MBM is possible at any one time.

It is entirely valid to have OPA0: by one method and access to MBM by
the other at the same time. They MUST, however, be separate.

Bart Zorn
2006-02-07 07:39:13 UTC
Here is what I have done. This is on ES47 systems but I think they are
the same with respect to the design of the console.

For each system I have three entries in PCM:

- reverse telnet to port 323 of the SMC for OPA0: access
- reverse telnet to port 23 of the SMC for MBM access
- reverse LAT via a DECserver port and the serial port of the
Alphaserver as backup.

HTH,

Bart Zorn
David J Dachtera
2006-02-08 01:39:11 UTC
Post by Bart Zorn
Here is what I have done. This is on ES47 systems but I think they are
the same with respect to the design of the console.
- reverse telnet to port 323 of the SMC for OPA0: access
- reverse telnet to port 23 of the SMC for MBM access
- reverse LAT via a DECserver port and the serial port of the
Alphaserver as backup.
Interesting approach. Thanx for sharing.

Durga Prasad
2017-05-25 16:08:19 UTC
hi

-NET-I-(td23) session opened to port 23,fd 57, by host 90.0.0.102 port 2732
-NET-E-(td23) waiting to tclitelnet to finish try again later

actually host is in display is 90.0.0.101

how can i change this ip address....
Steven Schweda
2017-05-25 16:51:11 UTC
Post by Durga Prasad
hi
Awakening a thread from 2006 was probably not a good way
to ask your question.
Post by Durga Prasad
-NET-I-(td23) session opened to port 23,fd 57, by host 90.0.0.102 port 2732
-NET-E-(td23) waiting to tclitelnet to finish try again later
actually host is in display is 90.0.0.101
how can i change this ip address....
What are you talking about? What is this computer? What,
exactly, are you doing? What produces these messages? What
"host"? What "display"? Which "this ip address"? Of what
is that the IP address?

You may know what you're doing, but no one else does, and
your problem description provides approximately no useful
information.
Stephen Hoffman
2017-05-25 18:15:34 UTC
Post by Durga Prasad
-NET-I-(td23) session opened to port 23,fd 57, by host 90.0.0.102 port 2732
-NET-E-(td23) waiting to tclitelnet to finish try again later
actually host is in display is 90.0.0.101
how can i change this ip address....
Welcome back to the comp.os,vms newsgroup... Been a while since
you've last posted....

To help me understand the particular context you're working in here,
could you provide a few more details around the commands and software
and context? OpenVMS system and version, and a little more context
on the error itself could help me understand what you're working with.
Which commands were used for the display that is showing the actual
host address, etc? The last time you were asking networking-related
questions, it was with an OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 on unspecified Alpha
hardware, with an Oracle database around. Have there been any updates
or details changed here, or is this a different configuration involved?

Is this an AlphaServer ES47, ES80 or GS1280 server, perchance? And if
so, are you looking for assistance configuring the internal network
within one of these servers, or troubleshooting a related issue? If
so, that's detailed in the AlphaServer GS1280 manual, though the
address range you're using here is pretty typical. This might help:
http://www.istoragenetworks.com/servermanuals/es47_es80_gs1280_installation.pdf
That only if you're working with the server's own internal network,
and not with your organization's own internal network — some
AlphaServer systems had a network within, and used to access the MBM
and SRM consoles.

Or is this a question of changing the OpenVMS IP address for one or
more interfaces that might be present? Changing the address of the
server either on your client — which client? — or on the AlphaServer
system, on your organization's own network or the public internet?
If you're looking to change the IP address of an OpenVMS server, that's
via @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG (newer releases) or
@SYS$MANAGER:UCX$CONFIG (older releases), or via whatever tools are
used for the third-party IP stack that might be installed. Configure
the core environments, in the interfaces section.

If this is on the client system initiating the telnet connection, we'll
need a few more details of the client system in use, the telnet command
that initiated that error, and whether there's DNS around with the
necessary IP address translation.