strange pattern on graphics-monitor screen
2017-05-01 11:16:38 UTC
Suddenly, three diagonal lines consisting of dots (smaller than "." and
a few millimeters apart) appeared on my graphics monitor. I restarted
the DECwindows server, but that didn't help. The colour appears dark
against a bright background and light against a dark background, so
perhaps it is some shade of grey. On the other hand, it does some to be
either very dark or very light, one or the other appearing when the grey
background is only slightly different in its brightness. Also, they are
not visible at all in front of some colours (yellow, green, black).

Graphics card giving out?
George Cornelius
2017-05-02 15:23:09 UTC
Suddenly, three diagonal lines consisting of dots (smaller than "." and
a few millimeters apart) appeared on my graphics monitor. I restarted
the DECwindows server, but that didn't help. The colour appears dark
against a bright background and light against a dark background, so
perhaps it is some shade of grey. On the other hand, it does some to be
either very dark or very light, one or the other appearing when the grey
background is only slightly different in its brightness. Also, they are
not visible at all in front of some colours (yellow, green, black).
Doesn't sound like a typical failure mode of a monitor or a graphics
card. Yes, I know, today's graphics cards do a lot. What are the details of
your environment?
Graphics card giving out?
I would try very basic things. Does it work OK from setup screens,
etc.? Itanium, for example, uses graphics mode for such things.

Can you boot to an alternate environment, say from an O/S CD or
DVD? Even setting up a new username and running within that may
help, since you'll start with a new DECwindows configuration.

And of course, the obvious thing: swap out monitor, swap out
graphics card.

George
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2017-05-02 18:53:59 UTC
Post by George Cornelius
Doesn't sound like a typical failure mode of a monitor or a graphics
card. Yes, I know, today's graphics cards do a lot. What are the details of
your environment?
This is on a PWS with probably whatever graphics card shipped with it.
I do have several spares I can try.

It's workable now. When I have time, I'll try some of the suggestions.