VMS Software, Inc. Announces New TCP/IP Stack
Add Reply
u***@gmail.com
2017-05-14 11:10:19 UTC
there goes a lot of the tcpip issues.
thats why all openvms sites should use process software

VMS Software, Inc. Announces New TCP/IP Stack
Share Article

VMS Software, Inc. replacing existing TCP/IP stack with modern stack based on IP licensed from Process Software, LLC

VMS Software Logo

“We have collaborated with Process Software for two years, and are delighted that VSI can leverage decades of their excellent work to jumpstart VSI’s own effort to modernize OpenVMS TCP/IP,” said Duane P. Harris, CEO of VMS Software.

Bolton, MA (PRWEB) September 21, 2016

VMS Software, Inc. (VSI) today announced plans to replace the existing OpenVMS TCP/IP stack with a completely updated stack based on software licensed from Process Software, LLC a long-time OpenVMS independent software vendor based in Framingham, Massachusetts. The license allows VSI to integrate features of Process Software's MultiNet software with VSI’s releases of the OpenVMS operating system, and add VSI’s own modifications and improvements over time.

“We have collaborated with Process Software for two years, and are delighted that VSI can leverage decades of their excellent work to jumpstart VSI’s own effort to modernize OpenVMS TCP/IP,” said Duane P. Harris, CEO of VMS Software. “This license saves us the substantial time and resources required to update the existing TCP/IP stack to current industry standards. More importantly, VSI engineers can focus on our most important priority: porting the OpenVMS operating system to the Intel x86-64 hardware platform.”

Details about specific TCP/IP components will be made available on the VSI website shortly (http://www.vmssoftware.com), including a comparison table displaying the two stacks side by side. Some of the major updates include: OpenSSL 1.0.2, SSH (V1 & V2), DHCP v3, IPv6 (complete application protocols supported), IPSEC (full support), Bind 9.9, Kerberos 5, and advanced features such as IPS, paired network interface support, and improved performance monitoring capabilities.

“Our agreement with VSI will enable Process to benefit from introduction to a broader OpenVMS customer base, including customers who have not used MultiNet in the past,“ said Michael Lamont, Chief Technology Officer of Process Software. “This will lead to further enhancements in our products and improvements to our support services. We are excited about our collaboration with VSI, but Process customers should know that today’s announcement does not mean that Process is changing its product offerings or support commitments. Process will continue to license and support its products, including MultiNet, and will continue to develop and enhance MultiNet for use on existing and future platforms.”

VSI intends to release the new TCP/IP stack as VSI TCP/IP V10.5. The timing of the release is still being determined, but we intend to accelerate time-to-market, by first distributing V10.5 as an independent installation kit. Customers will have the option to keep using the existing stack or install V10.5. However, the older stack will be phased out within the next 2 years.

About Process Software, LLC
Process Software is a premier supplier of communications software solutions to mission critical environments. With a loyal customer base of over 3,000 organizations, including Global 2000 and Fortune 1000 companies, Process Software has earned a strong reputation for meeting the stringent reliability and performance requirements of enterprise networks. Process Software products include MultiNet, a full suite of TCP/IP applications and services for OpenVMS VAX, Alpha and Integrity platforms.

About VMS Software, Inc.
VMS Software, Inc. develops, sells and supports innovative and advanced releases of OpenVMS, the most secure operating system on the planet. The company’s core motivation is to support and enable customers to run their mission critical applications at the legendary uptime levels OpenVMS is known for, at maximum performance levels, today and into the future. VMS Software Inc. is headquartered in Bolton, MA. For more information, go to http://www.vmssoftware.com

VMS Software, Inc.
pr(at)vmssoftware(dot)com
978-451-0110
u***@gmail.com
2017-05-14 11:12:54 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
[...]
and well we are at it more security

VMS Authentication Module

When it comes to protecting critical data assets, enterprises cannot risk unauthorized users gaining access to this vital information. The use of static, clear text passwords has proven easy for hackers to beat. Process Software’s VMS Authentication Module provides an added layer of security for protecting mission critical applications running on OpenVMS. The authentication methods include secure LDAP and RADIUS. Any combination of authentication methods can be deployed in an organization.

Process Software’s VMS Authentication Module software can be deployed to protect a specific application on the OpenVMS system or as part of OpenVMS LOGINOUT. The LDAP or RADIUS client can be integrated into third-party applications using the VMS Authentication Module API. Process Software is available to help with any special requests including additional authentication methods and application integration.
Advantages:

Protects applications from unauthorized users
Integrates seamlessly with any OpenVMS application
Fits into your existing LDAP or RADIUS infrastructure
Provides OpenVMS operating system authentication

Process Software is the best choice for your OpenVMS TCP/IP requirements. With thousands of loyal customers worldwide, including Global 2000 and Fortune 1000 companies, Process Software has earned a strong reputation for meeting the stringent reliability and performance requirements of enterprise networks. Process Software products incorporate leading edge technologies and are backed with a dedicated customer support organization.
Art
2017-05-16 16:03:02 UTC
..

VMS Authentication Module

.. Process Software's VMS Authentication Module provides an added layer of security for protecting mission critical applications running on OpenVMS. The authentication methods include secure LDAP and RADIUS. Any combination of authentication methods can be deployed in an organization.

Process Software's VMS Authentication Module software can be deployed to protect a specific application on the OpenVMS system or as part of OpenVMS LOGINOUT. The LDAP or RADIUS client can be integrated into third-party applications using the VMS Authentication Module API. Process Software is available to help with any special requests including additional authentication methods and application integration.
Advantages:

..

Unfortunately, even at v3.x, the VAM software does not work reliably and they don't seem to be interested in fixing it to make a sale. I was really hoping that I could implement basic LDAP integration with our (now completed) migration to Itanium. We use Process's TCPware.

When it worked it was great having the functionality, but every once in a while (~20% of the time) the login process would get stuck in a 100% cpu loop - no obvious pattern why or when. With ~500 interactive sessions on the live cluster this would have been a daily nightmare. It also seemed to have a fatal problem when the AD password was changed. Couldn't log into VMS with old or new passwords and even when AUTHORIZE was used to change/sync the password it still wouldn't login. That ended the test of the product. :)

I did follow up with them a few times over several months. No response that they were pursuing a fix.

Art
Stephen Hoffman
2017-05-15 16:24:34 UTC
there goes a lot of the tcpip issues. thats why all openvms sites
should use process software
VMS Software, Inc. Announces New TCP/IP Stack
Bolton, MA (PRWEB) September 21, 2016
Which is not available yet.

Once VSI IP is available, it'll address a number of features and
security updates that are presently missing from TCP/IP Services.

What it won't do is make OpenVMS a particularly useful mail server for
folks, for instance. Not for the folks using Exchange Server and its
legions of features and integration. Though the mail server in VSI
IP will undoubtedly be more secure than the unencrypted connections
available with TCP/IP Services.

VSI is working on these and other issues, but overselling the security
of any platform — or dumping on the security of other platforms — has a
very long history of blowing up.
u***@gmail.com
ever hear of precisemail?
Stephen Hoffman
2017-05-15 23:26:51 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
ever hear of precisemail?
Sure. Brilliant Systems Quintara, too. Kerio (though that's not on
OpenVMS), too. Ever hear of Microsoft Exchange Server, and of hosted
email providers including Microsoft Exchange Online? That's the
competition. Ponder how long has OpenVMS been around, and with the
products you've mentioned, and what if anything has changed or can be
changed to cause folks to consider or to select OpenVMS here? As VSI
gets the x86-64 port completed, the aggregate configuration prices will
likely be a bit closer together than they are now with HPE Integrity
servers, too. Figure out how to draw enough (paying) folks off of
those products and away from competing products — and over onto
OpenVMS, with or without an add-on mail package — and you might just
have a job with VSI sales. Because for right now, Exchange Server and
Windows Server 2016 — and variously hosted Exchange Online or hosted
mail — are simply better choices for most businesses, and OpenVMS
servers — almost certainly not being centrally used as an email server
— have to integrate with those and other Microsoft server products, and
with Linux and BSD servers.

As for the competition... Go try configuring this stuff, and try
configuring Windows Server and Exchange Server. Kerio or Postfix and
Dovecot, etc. See which is easier, and which provides the features
that folks need.
2017-05-20 14:33:48 UTC
Stephen Hoffman via Info-vax
Sent: May 15, 2017 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Info-vax] VMS Software, Inc. Announces New TCP/IP Stack
there goes a lot of the tcpip issues. thats why all openvms sites
should use process software
VMS Software, Inc. Announces New TCP/IP Stack
Bolton, MA (PRWEB) September 21, 2016
Which is not available yet.
Once VSI IP is available, it'll address a number of features and
security updates that are presently missing from TCP/IP Services.
What it won't do is make OpenVMS a particularly useful mail server for
folks, for instance. Not for the folks using Exchange Server and its
legions of features and integration. Though the mail server in VSI
IP will undoubtedly be more secure than the unencrypted connections
available with TCP/IP Services.
To be clear, MS Exchange is hated by large enterprises because of many issues that include, but are not limited to:
- extremely poor DR capabilities - other than pretty cold site solutions, most companies have slim to zero modern DR solutions for their Exchange servers.
- lack of single large server scale-up scalability. This results in scale-out solutions that requires armies of servers that btw, increases the number of Windows licenses required

Now, having stated this, the primary reason why these back end Exchange issues are put up with is the client MS Outlook. Many end users (ok, incl. me) are tied to their Outlook client (especially calendars), Word, Excel, and PPT integration.

I would love to see VSI re-engage the Communigate Pro folks to get a current version running again on OpenVMS. Older Integrity and Alpha versions of Communigate Pro are available today. When they were last engaged by HP, the upcoming release of OpenVMS X86-64 was not an option.

Key benefit - clients can keep their Outlook clients (critical), but back end would be running on Communigate Pro / OpenVMS. Also supports mobile clients (Android, iPhone) as well as Windows/Linux clients

<http://www.communigate.com/main/aboutus/>

Reference: Integrity / Alpha OpenVMS versions available, but not current
<http://www.communigate.com/main/purchase/download.html>

< http://www.communigate.com/main/solutions/business.html>

Older positioning with OpenVMS and Communigate Pro:
<http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/solutions/mail.html>

[snip..]

Bob Koehler
2017-05-16 17:32:43 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
there goes a lot of the tcpip issues.
thats why all openvms sites should use process software
Looks like future versions of VMS from VSI pretty much will.
Process has suppported RSA for a long time. There appears to be
something new in this announcement, I'm not sure what, but it is
good new for VMS.