OT: Oracle Personal Edition for Linux
seasoned_geek
2017-02-06 21:39:54 UTC
Waaaaay off topic but since I could find nothing out on the site and they want you to pay for support contract just to post in the "community" forum, I thought I would ask here.

The Personal Edition used to only exist for Windows and since Windows is a completely obsolete platform, of no use to anyone. Someone on one of the Linux places mentioned there are now Personal and Express editions for Linux. I went poking around and found this doc:

http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBLIC/editions.htm#DBLIC110

A bit more poking turned up this page:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/downloads/index.html

The blurb under the Linux version says it is an RPM.

Is there a DEB and if so, where is it? Been a while since I did any PL/SQL and I thought I would brush up. Last time I touched PL/SQL I think 8i was "current."

Thanks,

-----
http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com
http://www.infiniteexposure.net
http://www.johnsmith-book.com
http://www.logikalblog.com
http://www.interestingauthors.com/blog
Arne Vajhøj
2017-02-08 02:31:08 UTC
Post by seasoned_geek
Waaaaay off topic but since I could find nothing out on the site and
they want you to pay for support contract just to post in the
"community" forum, I thought I would ask here.
The Personal Edition used to only exist for Windows and since Windows
is a completely obsolete platform, of no use to anyone.
I think there is about a billion users left.

:-)
Post by seasoned_geek
Someone on
one of the Linux places mentioned there are now Personal and Express
http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBLIC/editions.htm#DBLIC110
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/express-edition/downloads/index.html
The blurb under the Linux version says it is an RPM.
Is there a DEB and if so, where is it?
I think they only provide RPM. Given that RHEL, SUSE and
Oracle Linux all use RPM then that should not surprise anyone.

You should be able to convert from RPM to DEB via alien tool.

Arne
seasoned_geek
2017-02-08 12:13:16 UTC
Post by seasoned_geek
The Personal Edition used to only exist for Windows and since Windows
is a completely obsolete platform, of no use to anyone.
I think there is about a billion users left.
:-)
No, only you. How is that 286 holding up for you? <Grin>
Post by Arne Vajhøj
I think they only provide RPM. Given that RHEL, SUSE and
Oracle Linux all use RPM then that should not surprise anyone.
You should be able to convert from RPM to DEB via alien tool.
I've done that before with other things. alien is rather hit or miss. When one is going from DEB to RPM Hell it has a high rate of success because internally a DEB is really just a big zip file containing the installed directory tree and all its files. Yes, there are a few DEB specific files but by and large that is the structure. The only place you _really_ get burned is the desktop. The exact same desktop will, in many cases, will look for menu specific entries in different locations on RPM based distro. Sometimes alien gets it right, most other times not.

SuSE is a real pig to install and tumbleweed has abandoned all support for NVIDIA, of course one doesn't find that out until _after_ the install. When last I tried tumbleweed I started the install then went to supper. After finishing supper, doing the dishes and taking the dog for a walk the install was _still_ going on. First it is a 2+Gig DVD, then it auto-forces you to download another 2+Gig during the install.

Maybe I can stuff it in a VM under Linux Lite. I certainly don't want to allocate a machine to a distro which can't run NVIDIA and therefore can't effectively run BOINC.