HPE bows to inevitable: Integrity servers get latest Itanium engine
Neil Rieck
2017-05-11 13:59:42 UTC
HPE bows to inevitable: Integrity servers get latest Itanium engine

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/11/integrity_servers_itanium_engine_container_offramp/

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
Stephen Hoffman
2017-05-11 16:42:53 UTC
Post by Neil Rieck
HPE bows to inevitable: Integrity servers get latest Itanium engine
There's little in the way of performance information nor of particular
new processor features announced.

Based on what's currently available and posted, this Kittson (i6)
processor announcement appears to be a Poulson (i4) processor with new
part and model numbers, and with new "bins" used for two of the 9700
series processors that support faster clock speeds. The i6 is a
drop-in replacement for i4 in terms of the processor socket and related
hardware, apparently.

Some more reading...

https://community.hpe.com/t5/Servers-The-Right-Compute/HPE-Advances-the-HP-UX-Platform-with-New-Integrity-i6-Servers/ba-p/6963055

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11372/intels-itanium-takes-one-last-breath-9700-series-released

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/compare-products.html?productIds=71699,122883

On the plus side, few (no?) processor changes for Kittson will mean an
easier platform port for VSI and OpenVMS, and few (no?) problems for
OpenVMS folks upgrading to the newer i6 servers.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-05-11 19:36:37 UTC
Post by Neil Rieck
HPE bows to inevitable: Integrity servers get latest Itanium engine
There's little in the way of performance information nor of particular new
processor features announced.
Based on what's currently available and posted, this Kittson (i6) processor
announcement appears to be a Poulson (i4) processor...
One thing I noticed in the The Register article:

"HPE claims Integrity i6 and updated HP-UX provide:
... Up to 50 per cent reduction in database support and license
costs over Integrity i2 servers..."

Why compare with i2 and not with i4 !? It tells me that the
difference between i4 and i6 is not that large...
Kerry Main
2017-05-12 01:03:16 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
announcement appears to be a Poulson (i4) processor...
... Up to 50 per cent reduction in database support and license
costs over Integrity i2 servers..."
Why compare with i2 and not with i4 !? It tells me that the
difference between i4 and i6 is not that large...
While I agree the I6 server performance increase from I4 to I6 will
likely only be in the 10-15% range (ymmv), the more likely reason for
the I2 comparison is that most HP-UX Customers are still on I2 servers.

Regards,

Kerry Main
Kerry dot main at starkgaming dot com