Alpha support from VSI.
2017-01-25 13:03:11 UTC
Hi.

Last week I recevied a quote from VSI on 3 years support
for what is called the "VSI OpenVMS for Alpha" product for
the three Alpha servers at my costumer site.

First, I will not disclose any prices since I have not seen
any official price list from VSI and I can not tell how
costumer specific this quote is.

Together with the quote as such, there were two documents
supplied that I have not been able to locate at the VSI site:

One three page PDF "VSI OpenVMS for Alpha data Sheet". This
is not the same as the information on the "Alpha Evaluation"
page http://vmssoftware.com/alpha/. The data sheet also talkes
about a "Detailed Layered Products lists" that should be specific
to this Alpha offer that I have not been able to locate yet.

One eight page PDF "VSI Software Support Portfolio". This is
similar to the PTT presentation in the VSI Support page
http://vmssoftware.com/services_supp.html, but with some
additional and detailed information.

I get the impression that this Alpha offer is in an kind of
build-up phase and that there is still things to sort out.
But besides of that, it looks fine so far.

In short:

- Licenses included for all OS components (cluster, shadowing
and so on) and all LPs that are included in the above metioned
"Detailed Layered Products lists". I supplied lists of currently
registered PAKs that was accepted with a few omissings (OPEN3D
and PHIGS-RUNTIME-USER that we don't use anyway). All compilers
that we use (C, Fortran and Cobol) are there anyway.

- Free port to the coming x86-64 platform. Not clear if that also
includes all the OS components and LPs. But if so, this migth be
a hint of the future licensing model for VMS on x86-64. And in
that case, a highly simplified model...

This Alpha offering has three price levels. 1-2 CPUs, 3-4 CPUs
and > 4 CPUs.

Thought it might interest someone... :-)

Jan-Erik.
Robert A. Brooks
2017-01-25 14:36:53 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
Hi.
Last week I recevied a quote from VSI on 3 years support
for what is called the "VSI OpenVMS for Alpha" product for
the three Alpha servers at my costumer site.
First, I will not disclose any prices since I have not seen
any official price list from VSI and I can not tell how
costumer specific this quote is.
I've been told that the quotes that have gone out so far
are the standard rates.
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
- Licenses included for all OS components (cluster, shadowing
and so on) and all LPs that are included in the above metioned
"Detailed Layered Products lists".
There are just two licenses for Alpha -- one for the OS and
one forall the LP's.

Active licenses on node RT117:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 0 H 0 0.0 (none) 16-DEC-2017
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 0 A 0 0.0 (none) 16-DEC-2017
2017-01-25 15:25:00 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
Hi.
Last week I recevied a quote from VSI on 3 years support
for what is called the "VSI OpenVMS for Alpha" product for
the three Alpha servers at my costumer site.
First, I will not disclose any prices since I have not seen
any official price list from VSI and I can not tell how
costumer specific this quote is.
I've been told that the quotes that have gone out so far
are the standard rates.
OK. I'm not going to disclose my quote anyway. The price lists
(if any) has to come from VSI, in my view.

But nice to hear that I'm not alone... :-)

I'm preparing a presentation of the quote, what it consists of
and how it "works" for the costumer and we'll take it from there.
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
- Licenses included for all OS components (cluster, shadowing
and so on) and all LPs that are included in the above metioned
"Detailed Layered Products lists".
There are just two licenses for Alpha -- one for the OS and
one forall the LP's.
------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release
Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 0 H 0 0.0 (none)
16-DEC-2017
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 0 A 0 0.0 (none)
16-DEC-2017
OK. So there are no "USERS" licens then. And no additinal "SMP"
licens if you add a CPU to a box. That simplifies things. :-)

I also guess that this offer will have a end-of-life some times
after the x86-64 official release.

Finaly, I still guess that the "Detailed Layered Products lists",
that the data sheet refer to, can be of interest to some.
Bob Gezelter
2017-01-27 16:35:23 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
[...]
Jan-Erik,

A public announcement has now appeared.

See http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/01/prweb14019089.htm

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-01-27 16:52:49 UTC
Post by Bob Gezelter
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
[...]
Thanks for the pointer! We'll see the details in the VSI
site later, according to that page...