20 years from 10K days; ~20 years to the end of the 32-bit world...
2017-05-19 18:43:36 UTC
Today is exactly 20 years after the VMS 10K days overflow problem;
I knew there was something familiar about today's date.

Is anyone else depressed that they can remember applying the patches ?

Good. Because you've now only got ~20 years to go before the end of
the legacy 32-bit world in 2038 and suddenly now that doesn't seem
all that far away. :-)

Simon.

PS: I hope no-one around here used 2020 as their Y2K pivot date for
systems which are still in operation...

PPS: This post was prompted by the realisation that we are rapidly
closing in on various date limits. Dates that once seemed so far,
far, away...
2017-05-19 19:51:29 UTC
Today is exactly 20 years after the VMS 10K days overflow problem; I
knew there was something familiar about today's date.
Is anyone else depressed that they can remember applying the patches ?
Isn't it more depressing that we're still chasing application and
system date bugs, and that OpenVMS is still a weird 32- and 64-bit mix
of APIs and not native 64-bit?
Good. Because you've now only got ~20 years to go before the end of the
legacy 32-bit world in 2038 and suddenly now that doesn't seem all that
far away. :-)
Thirty year mortgages and related matters have all been subject to 2038
for a while.

Wouldn't bet that OpenVMS and layered products and applications do
entirely well here with 2038 too, as 2038 was expressly outside the
testing range for Y2K though some fixes for correct operations past
2038 were implemented.

VSI IP is also a whole new hunk of code.

Some of us are expecting to supplement our incomes chasing 2038 bugs.
PS: I hope no-one around here used 2020 as their Y2K pivot date for
systems which are still in operation...
OpenVMS has been using 2057 for that. One hundred years since the
founding of DEC.
PPS: This post was prompted by the realisation that we are rapidly
closing in on various date limits. Dates that once seemed so far, far,
away...
Some postings here have been discussing norms and features and
capabilities and expectations that are as far before Y2K as we are now
from it, too.
2017-05-19 21:07:38 UTC
Today is exactly 20 years after the VMS 10K days overflow problem;
I knew there was something familiar about today's date.
Is anyone else depressed that they can remember applying the patches ?
Good. Because you've now only got ~20 years to go before the end of
the legacy 32-bit world in 2038 and suddenly now that doesn't seem
all that far away. :-)
Simon.
PS: I hope no-one around here used 2020 as their Y2K pivot date for
systems which are still in operation...
PPS: This post was prompted by the realisation that we are rapidly
closing in on various date limits. Dates that once seemed so far,
far, away...
The decision to use an 8 byte date was made by the boss. YYYYMMDD should be Ok
for a few years. I've been asked about time, and replied that I don't think the
number of nanoseconds in a day has been changing much. Of course, the
applications don't worry too much about time of day, just the date. I'm sure
there are those who do better with a combined date and time.

Just one solution to the Y2K issues ..
Neil Rieck
2017-05-20 11:02:31 UTC
Today is exactly 20 years after the VMS 10K days overflow problem;
I knew there was something familiar about today's date.
Is anyone else depressed that they can remember applying the patches ?
Good. Because you've now only got ~20 years to go before the end of
the legacy 32-bit world in 2038 and suddenly now that doesn't seem
all that far away. :-)
Simon.
PS: I hope no-one around here used 2020 as their Y2K pivot date for
systems which are still in operation...
PPS: This post was prompted by the realisation that we are rapidly
closing in on various date limits. Dates that once seemed so far,
far, away...
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/calendar_time_y2k_etc.html#Y2038

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
Bob Koehler
2017-05-22 13:30:58 UTC
PPS: This post was prompted by the realisation that we are rapidly
closing in on various date limits. Dates that once seemed so far,
far, away...
Are still more than a decade after retirement. Let's see the script
kiddies fix it.