HELP! SCSI formatting on 3100/80.
David Hoelzer
2014-02-27 21:59:55 UTC
I have my brand new 3100/80 set up with 3 Seagate ST1480N disk drives
inside. Unfortunately these drives are unformatted. The 3100/80 docs
don't say how to format a SCSI drive, and I couldn't find anything on
the DEC documentation CDs. I have formatted SCSI drives on other VAXen
(Vaxstation 3100/30, Vaxstation 3100/76), but the console ROMs for the
3100/80 aren't the same (probably more like the 4000/60 if you have one
of those). Here's what I have done so far...
TEST/UTIL SCSI
1 - SCSI-flp_key
2 - SCSI-tp_key
3 - SCSI-hd_dsk_eras
4 - SCSI-flp_fmt
SCSI_util>>> 3
SCSI_id(0-7)>>> 1
SCSI_id(0-7)>>> 0
SCSI HD_DSK_ERAS_UTIL
DKA100 OK ? Y
SCSI_user_terminat
84 FAIL
It doesn't seem to matter what I put at the "DKA100 OK ?" prompt, the result
is always the same (I have tried "Y", "YES", "1", "0", and some other less
likely things). Options 1, 2, and 4 from the SCSI util menu don't even get
that far.
I guess I could install/format the drives one by one in my VAXstation 3100/30,
but I'd rather not.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
William P. Bame | sneakernet: William P. Bame
AT&T : [Work] (410) 328-3062 | Baltimore, MD 21201
CIS : 71620,425 | Room: T1R55
I realize this is decades old, but just for posterity (and the fact that I couldn't remember how to do this earlier today), the correct way to answer this question is "OK", not "Y". Any other answer will fail.
u***@gmail.com
2016-11-04 18:35:18 UTC
Post by David Hoelzer
I realize this is decades old, but just for posterity (and the fact that I couldn't remember how to do this earlier today), the correct way to answer this question is "OK", not "Y". Any other answer will fail.
Thanks, and again some Years later it has helped me to format a drive in my 4000/60.

Who the hell was the meaning than an "ok" should be the answer for this question? ;-)
t***@gmail.com
2017-06-26 15:52:02 UTC
That solved it for me! Thank you.
Camiel Vanderhoeven
2017-06-26 17:46:36 UTC
What an amazing thread this is... Still useful to people 25 years later!
David Froble
2017-06-26 19:28:18 UTC
Post by Camiel Vanderhoeven
Post by t***@gmail.com
That solved it for me! Thank you.
What an amazing thread this is... Still useful to people 25 years later!
I find even more amazing that 25+ year old HW is still functional. Guess that's
what killed DEC, not getting new HW sales every couple of years.
Bill Gunshannon
2017-06-26 20:20:44 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
That solved it for me! Thank you.
What an amazing thread this is... Still useful to people 25 years later!
I find even more amazing that 25+ year old HW is still functional.
Guess that's what killed DEC, not getting new HW sales every couple of
years.
All my PDP-11 and Vax systems still run. I am not amazed at all. I
expect it