Conference Call - Open Source on OpenVMS - 08:00 EST, Thursday 19 January!
Bill Pedersen
2017-01-18 15:41:48 UTC
Just a quick reminder that we have the Open Source on OpenVMS Conference
Call at 08:00 EST, Thursday 19 January!

Last month's notes and a recording of the call are available here
<https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/discussion/call_topics/> . As well as
prior months.

You can join the call by using the on-line connection
<https://hello.freeconference.com/conf/call/2041583> (works best with
Chrome) or by calling on of these telephone numbers:

Dial: 712-832-8328
Access Code: 2041583

Additional telephone numbers
are available internationally:

Australia: (08) 9520 3110
Austria: 0820 444599
Austria - Mobile: 0820 987601
Belgium: 02 808 76 34
Canada: 867 292 3030
Estonia: 609 4175
Finland: 09 74790416
Germany: 0211 95987102
Hungary: (1) 848 0439
Ireland: (01) 437 0588
Latvia: 67 652 298
Lithuania: (8-5) 207 8094
Netherlands: 020 262 1918
Poland: 22 116 86 89
South Africa: 087 195 0685
Ukraine: 089 320 2487
United Kingdom: 0330 010 1990
United Kingdom: 0330 777 1307

We hope to see you on the call.

Thanks.

Best,
Bill.

Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
211 Ruth Drive
Gaffney, SC 29341
Telephone: +1-864-490-8863
Facsimile: +1-206-984-3068

---
IanD
2017-02-01 10:17:01 UTC
Post by Bill Pedersen
[...]
Did this happen?

I have not seen the normally excellent release notes / audio link posted

I believe Bill was engaged in some robotic endeavor somewhere so quite understandable if he simply has not had time

*Is the robotics like the British version a number of years ago? (Robot wars or something like it?)

I always remember with fondness a scientific American article about Core wars many years ago. Reading about the different strategies way back then was so interesting. From memory, the simple Imp program was extremely difficult to defeat

For those wondering what core wars was about, it was a system where you pitted programs against each other. Each program took a turn executing set instructions. The object of the game was to render your opponent's program inoperable (it was at a time before visuals in computing)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_War
BillPedersen
2017-02-02 01:36:35 UTC
Post by IanD
Post by Bill Pedersen
[...]
Yes, Ian, it did happen.

My apologies, I have been a bit distracted. I had several weekend projects last month and have more this month. And has you mentioned I am involved with robots. No, not battle-bots or robot wars, FIRST Tech Challenge, it is one of four programs (elementary through high school) that have been created by FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) which is a non-profit founded by Dean Kamen in the late 1980s to encourage young people to get interested in STEM oriented careers as well as entrepreneurship. Three of the programs use robots. (http://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/ftc/game-and-season).

Our State Championship is 10/11 February so I am approaching the "one-armed paper-hanger" state.

I will see if I can get the notes updated and the recording uploaded. Not much to report. Only people on the call were myself and John Malmberg. But that is still better than the solo act I had last September.

Thanks for the plug and the query.

Best,
Bill.
IanD
2017-02-04 10:54:08 UTC
On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:36:36 PM UTC+11, BillPedersen wrote:
<snip>
Post by BillPedersen
[...]
Thank you :-)

No need at all to apologize, the fact that you turn up and facilitate this event month after month (and I believe even more frequently in the past?) despite the lack of participants and input from the various custodians of VMS over the years (I know some VSI folk have dropped in now and again) speaks volumes actually

I've learnt a lot by just listening to the conference calls. Things like some of the build issues facing VMS to how much work people need to put into get what a lot take for granted as ready-made installs to even the hoops people jump over to get HPE interested and VSI (because their focus (VSI) was Itanium only for a while). So much time and effort.

The effort that went into getting that Jenkins system going too should get some help and assistance from VSI as a direction. Having up to dates builds of open source tools is sometimes what keeps parts of VMS kicking on in the various workplaces. I'm hanging out for when we get Python 3 running on VMS. It has some nice stuff available in the standard library. PostgreSQL would also be another nice one.

It's more than frustrating on VMS to go to do something and you look for an opensource build only to find the last available is so far out of date that it's useless (I cannot just roll my own, I don't have access to compilers etc anymore and I simply do not know enough to get but the most simplistic of opensource to build on VMS anyhow).

My only gripe is that a number of the opensource packages seem to be bundled in the gnu package as a whole - I prefer straight out binaries myself or an LD disk because most places I have worked, being production environments, take too long to get packages installed, where-as LD disks are essentially just a container file and the change control is far more relaxed (food for thought on a direction for opensource on VMS perhaps?)

As to the notes and audio, I'm sure you'll get to putting things up when you have a moment :-)

Also, I want to also say a thank you, no, make that a HUGE THANK YOU for providing that link about the robots

I have watched a few of them now and have been looking at the organisation. It is really interesting and their philosophy certainly resonates with me

It is inspiring to say the least - I nearly fell over backwards when they mentioned 'Gracious Professionalism' - OMG!!!

I've watched a few of the promo's from people who participate. Comments like help your competitor to help them solves technical issues and the part about also focusing on the people component really got my attention. Listening to that professor from MIT talk on the engineering and human factor really made me sit up and take note

I've already got some of my family to watch the various other videos out there on Youtube :-)

My wife is also very impressed, she was thinking about our local high school and how this type of program would be good (they participate in an F1 in school racing car competition). The focus on the team collaboration and people development side of the FIRST program I think is really impressive

Anyhow, I wanted to say not only thanks for the open source work but also for FIRST links. I am more than impressed with this program and are certainly looking further into it