SIMH Emulator
Add Reply
h***@gmail.com
2017-03-13 14:54:35 UTC
Dear Group,
I'm hoping someone can help me before I lose grip on sanity! I don't consider myself a complete buffoon but my failings at the most basic level on this may make you come to that conclusion; and you'd be forgiven for doing so!

I would dearly like to use SIMH as an emulator for a project on the DEC PDP-10, running TOPS-10. I am installing on a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspbian Lite.

I am embarrassed to say but I don't even know how to start the damn thing up! I go through the installation steps (both deb and source tried) and appear to get a successful installation - but then what? "Start Service SIMH", "./SIMH", "SIMH /****" .... What is the magic command that is the equivalent of a big red START button? Do I access it through CLI or do I need a GUI?

Any help appreciated. Thank you!
Stephen Hoffman
2017-03-13 16:32:57 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
I would dearly like to use SIMH as an emulator for a project on the DEC
PDP-10, running TOPS-10. I am installing on a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspbian
Lite.
I am embarrassed to say but I don't even know how to start the damn
thing up! I go through the installation steps (both deb and source
tried) and appear to get a successful installation - but then what?
"Start Service
SIMH", "./SIMH", "SIMH /****" .... What is the magic command that is
the equivalent of a big red START button? Do I access it through CLI or
do I need a GUI?
You will want to establish the "hardware" configuration for whatever
box you want to emulate and then invoke the emulator executable. The
emulator is a program. Once the program starts running, then —
"inside" the emulation — you have the ability to load and run programs
that expect whatever architecture is being emulated. In the case of
simh emulating OpenVMS VAX, invoking the emulator executable — once
you've set u details of what VAX "hardware" you want to emulate, where
the "disk" data is to be stored on the emulator host system, etc —
causes you to enter into an environment that approximates the VAX
console of a "hardware" VAX.
Post by h***@gmail.com
Any help appreciated. Thank you!
Probably best to use the simh mailing list, and particularly have a
look through the simh mailing list archives for previous discussions.
This comp.os.vms newsgroup tends to be pretty heavily into OpenVMS and
related topics, and somewhat less into simh itself — though there are
folks around here that do use that emulator. The simh mailing list
sees a decent amount of traffic, and focuses on the emulator and
emulator-related topics.

The mailing list and the archives are accessible here:

The archives can be searched in various ways, including a Google web
search engine query such as:
site:http://mailman.trailing-edge.com/pipermail/ pdp-10

Here's some (very old, quite possibly stale) doc for PDP-10 via simh:
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/pdp10_doc.pdf

And some software, if you've not already found it...
http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com

Note that references to simh source code should be to github, as that
is where the project is now hosted.

But there's probably going to be better help for simh over on the
mailing list...
Rich Alderson
2017-03-13 19:45:14 UTC
I would dearly like to use SIMH as an emulator for a project on the DEC PDP=
-10, running TOPS-10. I am installing on a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspbian Lite.
As Stephen said, this newsgroup is devoted to VMS on all its platforms, but
they d talk to us 36-bit types from time to time.
I am embarrassed to say but I don't even know how to start the damn thing u=
p! I go through the installation steps (both deb and source tried) and appe=
ar to get a successful installation - but then what? "Start Service SIMH", =
"./SIMH", "SIMH /****" .... What is the magic command that is the equivalen=
t of a big red START button? Do I access it through CLI or do I need a GUI?
Once you have compiled the SimH emulator(s) you want, you go to a command line
and type, e. g., "pdp10" to start one. This will put you at the configurator
prompt. More information is available at the SimH mailing list archives, at
the old SimH archives (http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/all_docs.html),
presumably on the Github project site (which I haven't needed to explore yet),
and on alt.sys.pdp10 (another newsgroup like comp.os.vms, but oriented towards
your preferred architecture).
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,
--Galen
h***@gmail.com
2017-03-14 06:13:30 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Dear Group,
I'm hoping someone can help me before I lose grip on sanity! I don't consider myself a complete buffoon but my failings at the most basic level on this may make you come to that conclusion; and you'd be forgiven for doing so!
I would dearly like to use SIMH as an emulator for a project on the DEC PDP-10, running TOPS-10. I am installing on a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspbian Lite.
I am embarrassed to say but I don't even know how to start the damn thing up! I go through the installation steps (both deb and source tried) and appear to get a successful installation - but then what? "Start Service SIMH", "./SIMH", "SIMH /****" .... What is the magic command that is the equivalent of a big red START button? Do I access it through CLI or do I need a GUI?
Any help appreciated. Thank you!
Thanks guys - much appreciated for your help and information.
Rgds
Adam
k3ck3c
2017-04-14 08:12:55 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Dear Group,
I'm hoping someone can help me before I lose grip on sanity! I don't consider myself a complete buffoon but my failings at the most basic level on this may make you come to that conclusion; and you'd be forgiven for doing so!
I would dearly like to use SIMH as an emulator for a project on the DEC PDP-10, running TOPS-10. I am installing on a Raspberry Pi 3, Raspbian Lite.
I am embarrassed to say but I don't even know how to start the damn thing up! I go through the installation steps (both deb and source tried) and appear to get a successful installation - but then what? "Start Service SIMH", "./SIMH", "SIMH /****" .... What is the magic command that is the equivalent of a big red START button? Do I access it through CLI or do I need a GUI?
Any help appreciated. Thank you!
If you have a recent Linux with docker installed, having a SIMH prompt can be as easy as

docker run -it k3ck3c/simh_bitnami.slim

see
https://hub.docker.com/r/k3ck3c/simh_bitnami.slim/
Don North
2017-04-14 08:24:51 UTC
Post by k3ck3c
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh

look in the 'doc' directory.

Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
Simon Clubley
2017-04-18 17:27:20 UTC
Post by Don North
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh
look in the 'doc' directory.
Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
It would be interesting to find out why anyone could think it's
a good idea to supply SimH documentation in MS Word format.

2017-04-18 21:53:07 UTC
Post by Don North
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh
look in the 'doc' directory.
Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
It would be interesting to find out why anyone could think it's
a good idea to supply SimH documentation in MS Word format.
Simon.
To write it using MS Word is of course OK, but why not save
it as a PDF before publishing it?
Paul Sture
2017-04-19 10:49:41 UTC
Post by Don North
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh
look in the 'doc' directory.
Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
It would be interesting to find out why anyone could think it's
a good idea to supply SimH documentation in MS Word format.
I'm pretty certain that Bob Supnik used MS Word when creating the
originals.

Side note: Is it me or have all recent versions of word processors
dropped the ability to see (let alone modify) details like "Author",
"Date Created" etc? Using Pages '09 (8 years old) I can clearly see Bob
Supnik as the author; in 3 different later word processors, I cannot.

P.S. It looks like pdp10_doc.doc has been through Google Docs. Maybe
it's now maintained in that.
--
The First of April: The only day of the year that people critically
evaluate news stories before believing them.
Stephen Hoffman
2017-04-19 14:10:35 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Side note: Is it me or have all recent versions of word processors
dropped the ability to see (let alone modify) details like "Author",
"Date Created" etc? Using Pages '09 (8 years old) I can clearly see
Bob Supnik as the author; in 3 different later word processors, I
cannot.
Ayup. The Pages Inspector has become rather less than it once was.
This app might help matters somewhat, specifically for iWork documents:
https://github.com/obriensp/iWorkFileFormat

On the other side of that discussion, the iWork apps and some other
commonly-used apps are now free for all macOS users. Software pricing
has changed substantially in recent years, too.
Bob Koehler
2017-04-19 15:19:54 UTC
It would be interesting to find out why anyone could think it's
a good idea to supply SimH documentation in MS Word format.
Because they were chewed up and reguritated by the great Redmond
beast ealier in life?

You should see what most browsers think of runoff's output (.mem)
files.
Rich Alderson
2017-04-19 23:42:36 UTC
Post by Don North
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh
look in the 'doc' directory.
Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
Or go to http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/all_docs.html

to see the PDF versions. The Word masters are in a .zip on the top level of
that site, but why bother?
--Galen
Don North
2017-04-19 23:59:19 UTC
Post by Rich Alderson
Post by Don North
And go to: https://github.com/simh/simh
look in the 'doc' directory.
Read the 'simh_doc.doc' (simulator overview) and 'pdp10_doc.doc' (pdp10 specific
simulator support) documents (microsoft word files).
Or go to http://simh.trailing-edge.com/pdf/all_docs.html
to see the PDF versions. The Word masters are in a .zip on the top level of
that site, but why bother?
Unfortunately the docs at the simh.trailing-edge.com site are all out of date
(they correspond to the last v3.9 release) as opposed to the src/docs on github
which are all the current v4.0 track.

Ideally there should be some means to track updates/changes to the github SIMH
docs and automatically generate acrobat files as part of the commit process.

Don
Simon Clubley
2017-04-20 18:16:04 UTC
Post by Don North
Unfortunately the docs at the simh.trailing-edge.com site are all out of date
(they correspond to the last v3.9 release) as opposed to the src/docs on github
which are all the current v4.0 track.
Yes, when I downloaded SIMH recently to look at the Alpha support (summary:
don't bother, the Alpha port is not usable as a full system emulator),
I downloaded the GitHub tree and only the MS Word documents were present.
Post by Don North
Ideally there should be some means to track updates/changes to the github SIMH
docs and automatically generate acrobat files as part of the commit process.
Agreed.

Henry Crun
2017-04-15 05:16:34 UTC
Post by k3ck3c
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
what works for me (start simh vax emulator in a terminal):
<code>
sudo /home/$USER/simh/vax/bin/vax
</code>/
where the contents of /home/$USER/simh/vax/bin are:
$ dir /home/$USER/simh/vax/bin
total 472K
-rwxrwxr-x 1 mike mike 469K May 10 2014 vax
lrwxrwxrwx 1 mike mike 32 May 10 2014 vax.ini -> /home/mike/simh/vax/data/vax.ini

HTH
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/