OpenVMS Admin/Management Training
9jbyers
2017-01-04 12:59:16 UTC
Does anybody know of DVD/Online/Video/Books for training of OpenVMS? Or even an in-person training class for OpenVMS?

Not looking to learn the whole nine yards of OpenVMS but wanting to understand enough to be able to be knowledgeable in being an administrator of the box.

Thanks!!
abrsvc
2017-01-04 13:17:29 UTC
Post by 9jbyers
Does anybody know of DVD/Online/Video/Books for training of OpenVMS? Or even an in-person training class for OpenVMS?
Not looking to learn the whole nine yards of OpenVMS but wanting to understand enough to be able to be knowledgeable in being an administrator of the box.
Thanks!!
Check out classes at PARSEC Group (www.PARSEC.com)

Also, VSI has classes available for OpenVMS.

Dan
Baldrick
2017-01-04 13:48:36 UTC
Post by 9jbyers
Does anybody know of DVD/Online/Video/Books for training of OpenVMS? Or even an in-person training class for OpenVMS?
Not looking to learn the whole nine yards of OpenVMS but wanting to understand enough to be able to be knowledgeable in being an administrator of the box.
Thanks!!
I actually am running a company internal course. based on the "old" user "utitilies and commands" course, then the system managers course. i'm training up some front-line people.

many years ago there was a CBT (computer based training) CD produced by "mind IQ". we have a copy but it only ran on Windows 98 / NT4 so even we can't officially use it.

Does anyone have any of the VMS CAI (computer aided instruction) programs and I guess they still do work on VAX 7.3 ?

There are books available (digital press), Joginder Sethi wrote a book about system management, its OK I think you need to realise that often you need to adapt techniques to the environment, there is no one single answer. that's why the documentation set is so useful in that it tells you what is available as opposed to show how to combine techniques in an environment. arguably the session i gave at the bootcamp was a 'how NOT to do system (and datacentre) management'.

in any case, even with the full courses you still have to think and consider situations; what is right in one scenario is not necessarily right for another and only experience will guide you, but with knowledge of the tools available.
abrsvc
2017-01-04 13:58:37 UTC
I too do training and the materials provided are reference materials. Each class is "customized" in that actual issues or problems are discussed from each local client. There is a fundamental starting point of concepts and commands that must be understood. Once these are mastered, the rest is easy and just takes exposure and time.

The OP seems to be looking for a way to get the basics. These are usually covered in a "Utilities and Commands" class. Second to that, an intro to administration is usually required to cover the management basics. From there, experimentation and experience is best.

Dan
Amy Meixsell
2017-01-04 17:50:32 UTC
Post by 9jbyers
Does anybody know of DVD/Online/Video/Books for training of OpenVMS? Or even an in-person training class for OpenVMS?
Not looking to learn the whole nine yards of OpenVMS but wanting to understand enough to be able to be knowledgeable in being an administrator of the box.
Thanks!!
Hello!

My name is Amy Meixsell with PARSEC Group, we provide both remote training and in-person training at our offices in Denver, Colorado. Based on what you're looking for I would recommend our OpenVMS Academy Utilities and Commands class: https://www.parsec.com/training/openvms/VM100.php

Give me a call and we can discuss details and make sure we get you in the right class! My number is 720-962-9574 or you can email me at ***@parsec.com
Stephen Hoffman
2017-01-04 18:33:25 UTC
Post by 9jbyers
Does anybody know of DVD/Online/Video/Books for training of OpenVMS? Or
even an in-person training class for OpenVMS?
Not looking to learn the whole nine yards of OpenVMS but wanting to
understand enough to be able to be knowledgeable in being an
administrator of the box.
VSI is the source of OpenVMS releases now:
http://www.vmssoftware.com/training/index.html

Or reading the canonical System Manager's Essentials and Complex
Systems manuals, if you're looking for lowest-cost.