IBM Websphere MQ 6 on VMS 8.4 - list queue manager and queues
Add Reply
Robert Nelson
2017-04-19 10:31:01 UTC
Hello all
Our client has MQ V6 CLIENT on VMS 8.4 Itanium.
I would like to know where / how the queue names are set.

Perusal of this group has led me to believe that there are 2 ways of configuring queues - using the 2.2 system or using the queue managers.

As a onetime developer of MQ series on Windows (!!) and using the documentation, I think RUNMQSC DISPQMGR or similar should get me going. RUNMQSC is not installed.
Plus most of the images in SYS$SYSTEM refered to in MQS_SYMBOLS.COM are missing.

We have the MQSERVER logical setup - which I believe is the MQ Queue server to communicate to. The MQS_STARTUP procedure starts the queue manager like so : MCR STRMQM xxx (it is the node name)

How do I find the where the queues are setup? Does the 2.2 logical setup define a logical table where this information is present?

Thanks
RN
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-04-19 10:46:24 UTC
Hello all Our client has MQ V6 CLIENT on VMS 8.4 Itanium. I would like
to know where / how the queue names are set.
Perusal of this group has led me to believe that there are 2 ways of
configuring queues - using the 2.2 system or using the queue managers.
As a onetime developer of MQ series on Windows (!!) and using the
documentation, I think RUNMQSC DISPQMGR or similar should get me going.
RUNMQSC is not installed. Plus most of the images in SYS$SYSTEM refered
to in MQS_SYMBOLS.COM are missing.
We have the MQSERVER logical setup - which I believe is the MQ Queue
server to communicate to. The MQS_STARTUP procedure starts the queue
manager like so : MCR STRMQM xxx (it is the node name)
How do I find the where the queues are setup? Does the 2.2 logical setup
define a logical table where this information is present?
Thanks RN
Not fully clear what you mean with "queue setup". The physical queues
as such are not on the VMS system at all, of course, since you are
using the "client" kit. Your VMS system connects to some Websphere
server where the actual queues are located.

In our startup COM files for our MQ applications, we define MQSERVER
which points to the Websphere where "our" queues are located.

Then we define another logical name containing the actal queue name,
that logical is read by our application code and the queue name used
in the OPEN call to the MQ client API. The MQSERVER logical name is
used automaticaly by the MQ client if no "server" is specified in
the OPEN call.

Not that we are using MQ client 2.2 on OpenVMS Alpha, but I think
that the MQ call API is quite stable and it should be similar.

We never use any of the MQ utilities on the VMS system, only the
libraries to build/link MQ applications.

Jan-Erik.
Neil Rieck
2017-04-20 02:46:01 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
It's been a long time since I worked with MQseries on OpenVMS (Alpha) so not sure if these notes will be of any use to you.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/openvms_notes_webspere_mq.html

p.s. Websphere is just the latest name for MQseries. And as Jan-Erik has already pointed out, do not confuse OpenVMS batch/print queues with MQseries message queues

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-04-20 09:11:31 UTC
Post by Neil Rieck
[...]
Now, *that* was *not* what I was trying to point out... :-)

I was trying to say that if you have the "MQ client" kit, you do not
have any local "MQ queue manager" (that has absolutely nothing to do
with the VMS batch/print queue manager!) on your VMS system.

You need the full "MQ server" kit/installation for that. I do not know
if that is still available for VMS.

Anyway, at least for us, it is much easier to just run the client
kit, just to link with the MQ OBJ libraries and that's it.

Jan-Erik.
Neil Rieck Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/
GerMarsh
2017-04-20 09:16:51 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
As you only have the client set up and not the full server, I would not expect runmqsc.exe to exist in SYS$SYSTEM. Also, DSPQMGR is a separate command/image and not part of the runmqsc subsystem.

The client interface is usually controlled using logical names so the queues will be set up on the remote (server) queue manager in MQSERVER logical.

As I have only used the full server version on VMS and client on Windows, I am guessing on the channel config but I assume that something else will be controlling SSL etc. I shall consult the docs - if I can find them!
Robert Nelson
2017-04-20 10:25:45 UTC
Thanks everyone.
Yes, all the client side API call would need to know would be the MQ Server, Q manager and Q name. These are configured as logicals.

Many thanks!!
Alex Rubens
2017-04-21 03:19:26 UTC
as of MQ 5.3 they introduced a channel table file, created within the context of a queue manager. You'll need logical names for the queue manager name, the channel table file location and any SSL setup that may be used in the srvconn clntconn channels.
GerMarsh
On a similar vein, if anyone is interested in continuing to run Websphere MQ on VMS for a while, it may be worth point this out to VSI!
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2017-04-21 11:34:42 UTC
Post by GerMarsh
[...]
I have. I brought it up in the web-meeting arranged by (whoever it was)
last year. I think that the reply was "it's being worked on" or similar.

We are currently moving a number of interfaces from the old ODBC
based method to MQ interfaces. Still on Alpha and using a rather
old MQ client version at the moment. I expect that there is a
supported MQ client when the x86 version ships...