Networking - TCP/IP services to TCPWare
2020-12-28 11:12:36 UTC
I recently moved a system from using TCP/IP services V5.7 ECO 5 to using
TCPWare V6.0-0 which has given some improvements, but a series of
questions remain.

Firstly the remains of TCP/IP services seem to be sill there:

$ show net

Product: DECNET Node: VSIBAK Address(es): 1.3
Product: TCPWARE Node: VSIBAK Address(es):
127.0.0.1 192.168.1.124
Product: TCP/IP Node: <TCP/IP host/node name not yet available>
Address(es): 0.0.0.0
$

from a SHOW NETWORK/FULL I see:

Product: TCP/IP Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
Node: <TCP/IP host/node name not yet available> Address(es): 0.0.0.0
Network Type: TCP/IP Interface(s):

HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.7 - ECO 5
on an AlphaServer 400 4/166 running OpenVMS V8.4-2L1

%TCPIP-E-INETERROR, internet interface error
-TCPIP-E-NOFILE, cannot access TCPIP$HOST database file

$

Do I need to do anything to remove this, or is it basically OK?

Chris
Paul Anderson
2020-12-28 15:55:17 UTC
$ show net
Product:  DECNET        Node:  VSIBAK               Address(es):  1.3
127.0.0.1 192.168.1.124
Product:  TCP/IP        Node:  <TCP/IP host/node name not yet available>
Address(es):  0.0.0.0
Do I need to do anything to remove this, or is it basically OK?
Assuming you removed TCP/IP Services, it looks like the
SYS$NETWORK_SERVICES_TCPIP.COM file got left around.

You can do a

$ SET NETWORK /REMOVE "TCP/IP"

to remove the entry seen in SHOW NETWORK. Otherwise, it's harmless
other than soiling your SHOW NETWORK display.

Paul
Chris Townley
2020-12-28 16:34:09 UTC
Post by Paul Anderson
Post by Chris Townley
$ show net
Product:  DECNET        Node:  VSIBAK               Address(es):  1.3
127.0.0.1 192.168.1.124
Product:  TCP/IP        Node:  <TCP/IP host/node name not yet
available> Address(es):  0.0.0.0
Do I need to do anything to remove this, or is it basically OK?
Assuming you removed TCP/IP Services, it looks like the
SYS$NETWORK_SERVICES_TCPIP.COM file got left around.
You can do a
  $ SET NETWORK /REMOVE "TCP/IP"
to remove the entry seen in SHOW NETWORK.  Otherwise, it's harmless
other than soiling your SHOW NETWORK display.
Paul
Remarkably simple! I never knew that command existed, and it worked.

Many thanks