Thinking of VMS as a z/OS-style system, was: Re: Final Orace release on VMS.
2020-11-16 13:44:02 UTC
I have not heard anyone leaving VMS due to the lack of a browser.
Has anyone requested a browser? I mean, any paying customer?
The thread was about attracting new customers to VMS. :-|
Think of VMS as more like z/OS. Do you run a web browser on z/OS ?
//GOOGLE EXEC PGM=MOZILLA,NAME=HTTP://WWW.GOOGLE.COM
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street)
so I had to check that the above wasn't real, because I can't be 100%
certain what is real any more. :-)

As to Phillip's question elsewhere about why should VMS be thought of
a z/OS-style system, it's because of the workloads that they are used
for, and the way both operating systems are accessed, as they are both
very similar in that regard.

VMS is never going to be sold as a desktop system ever again, but like
z/OS, it has its own unique server features.

Oh, and Phillip, if you want to run a modern web browser on your VMS
desktop, then do what I suggested previously, and run a modern web browser
on Linux over SSH from VMS and then mount a shared directory between
both systems if you want to transfer files between in that way.

As before, this assumes the VMS TCP/IP stack (and VMS X implementation)
are recent enough to run a modern Linux X application over SSH.

2020-11-16 16:00:30 UTC
Oh, and Phillip, if you want to run a modern web browser on your VMS
desktop, then do what I suggested previously, and run a modern web browser
on Linux over SSH from VMS and then mount a shared directory between
both systems if you want to transfer files between in that way.
Then I have to buy, set up, and maintain a Linux system. :-(
Another hurdle.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2020-11-16 16:12:23 UTC
Oh, and Phillip, if you want to run a modern web browser on your VMS
desktop, then do what I suggested previously, and run a modern web browser
on Linux over SSH from VMS and then mount a shared directory between
both systems if you want to transfer files between in that way.
Then I have to buy, set up, and maintain a Linux system. :-(
Then do what everyone else does, that do not like to be an "admin",
get a common Windows system, a laptop can be got rather cheap today.
No "setup" and no "maintenance", it is all automated.

And no matter what, make yourself a big favour and run your browser
directly on that client. Use your VMS systems for tasks that it can do and
for what it was designed for. And that is not surfing *todays* internet…
As before, this assumes the VMS TCP/IP stack (and VMS X implementation)
are recent enough to run a modern Linux X application over SSH.
Another hurdle.
Is it really your goal to avoid hurdels? That is not my impression.
You seems gladly jump into every possible hurdle there is.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-11-16 20:50:11 UTC
Then do what everyone else does,
That has brought a lot of evil into the world. :-|
It depends on what the reward for jumping the hurdle is.
Galen
2020-11-18 03:38:49 UTC
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street).
For those who know the 1990’s TV show “Babylon 5”, wasn’t Mr. Morten the name of an apparently human advocate for The Shadows?
Bill Gunshannon
2020-11-18 11:48:23 UTC
Post by Galen
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street).
For those who know the 1990’s TV show “Babylon 5”, wasn’t Mr. Morten the name of an apparently human advocate for The Shadows?
Yes, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comment.

2020-11-18 12:17:03 UTC
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street).
For those who know the 1990's TV show Babylon 5, wasn't Mr. Morten
the name of an apparently human advocate for The Shadows?
Yes, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comment.
Speaking of old science-fiction shows, doesn't Commander Adama have a VT
in Battlestar Galactica?
Bill Gunshannon
2020-11-18 12:49:27 UTC
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street).
For those who know the 1990's TV show Babylon 5, wasn't Mr. Morten
the name of an apparently human advocate for The Shadows?
Yes, and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comment.
Speaking of old science-fiction shows, doesn't Commander Adama have a VT
in Battlestar Galactica?
I don't remember seeing that but the communications in the C&C was
done with TA-1 sound powered telephones probably bought at the Army
Surplus Store.

2020-11-18 13:14:10 UTC
This is 2020 (and the PM has just kicked Mr Morden out of Downing Street).
For those who know the 1990?s TV show ?Babylon 5?, wasn?t Mr. Morten the name of an apparently human advocate for The Shadows?
Yes. Whenever I look at Dominic Cummings, I see a real-life version
of Mr Morden. If you look at him in that light, the last 5 years here
in the UK start to make a _lot_ more sense. :-(

I do wonder what Boris Johnson's reply was when Dominic Cummings asked
him "What do you want ?". And yes, given the players here, I would be
very surprised if that conversation didn't actually place for real in
some form. :-(