How to map EDT keypad to Mac number keypad?
alanfe...@gmail.com
2021-10-02 17:29:10 UTC
I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.

Is there a way to do this?

I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.

Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.
alanfe...@gmail.com
2021-10-04 19:54:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
I have an iMac, and despite having a matching numeric keypad, I have to hold down the fn key while pressing F1 thru F4 to get PF1 thru PF4 in EDT. Or I can set the function keys to not do their mac functions, i.e., to work as standard function keys. Can one do better? I'd even be happy if I could make the 7 key the GOLD key and the 9 key the PF3 key. Or maybe something with the 6-key key cluster (fn, home, pg up, delete, end, pg dn)? I really miss using PF1 and PF3 to FIND NEXT and FIND.
Is there a way to do this?
I am using the Mac program Terminal and logging in to eisner.
Yes, I'm still alive and kicking. Alive, anyway.
To have the top row function keys default to acting as functions keys,
go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and check the "Use F1, F2, etc.
keys as standard function keys" box.
To get all of the keypad function keys to work the same as a VMS
keyboard, you need to define the necessary escape sequences into
terminal. Go to Terminal -> Preferences -> Profiles and select the
keyboard tab. Add any keys not already defined. For example,
Numeric Keypad Clear -> \033OP
Numeric Keypad = -> \033OQ
Numeric Keypad / -> \033OR
Numeric Keypad * -> \033OS
will get you PF1 - PF4.
You can define all of the keys except the fn key.
Mark Berryman
Holy Moly! How could I have missed that?! I can't believe it! The [Ow, my tongue!] works!
Thank you so much. (^_^)
Steven Schweda
2021-10-05 04:14:46 UTC
I am using the Mac program Terminal [...]
xterm is one alternative: https://www.xquartz.org/

Then some xmodmap action. I get by with the following, but "xev" is
your friend if you want more.

keycode 79 = KP_F1
keycode 89 = KP_F2
keycode 83 = KP_F3