How to mount/unmount CD and tapes on axpbox emulator??
Add Reply
Timothy Stark
2020-11-19 13:57:01 UTC
Folks,

I am figuring out how to mount/unmount CD/tape images on axpbox emulator
without shutting system down like on SIMH VAX emulator?

When I run axpbox, there is no prompt to change CD/tape images. There is
only way to change es40.cfg file requires system and emulator shutdown.

Are that plans to add prompt to axpbox emulator to supporting mount/unmount
images, etc while running system?

Tim
Bill Gunshannon
2020-11-19 15:21:24 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Folks,
I am figuring out how to mount/unmount CD/tape images on axpbox emulator
without shutting system down like on SIMH VAX emulator?
I have never had to shut SIMH down to mount/unmount Tapes or CDs.
Post by Timothy Stark
When I run axpbox, there is no prompt to change CD/tape images. There is
only way to change es40.cfg file requires system and emulator shutdown.
Are that plans to add prompt to axpbox emulator to supporting mount/unmount
images, etc while running system?
Haven't had a chance to try AXPBOX yet but hoping to do it soon.

2020-11-19 16:43:39 UTC
On 2020-11-19 13:57:01 +0000, Timothy Stark said:

Hello Tim, and welcome to the comp.os.vms usenet newsgroup.
Post by Timothy Stark
I am figuring out how to mount/unmount CD/tape images on axpbox
emulator without shutting system down like on SIMH VAX emulator?
Pending a response to your bug report (below), and given it's an
emulator, you're not limited by the presence of physical media and
physical devices, so just keep adding new storage devices with backing
file storage, and rebooting (or crashing) when you need to swap or
clean up. This as a workaround.
Post by Timothy Stark
When I run axpbox, there is no prompt to change CD/tape images. There
is only way to change es40.cfg file requires system and emulator
shutdown.
Are that plans to add prompt to axpbox emulator to supporting
mount/unmount images, etc while running system?
Again, as a workaround pending a fix for the axpbox emulator... Since
you're using an emulator and not physical hardware, keep adding
emulated CD "devices", or adding disk devices with backing file storage
containing the disk images of interest, and don't perturb the existing
devices and existing mounts. Maybe try a DISMOUNT/NOUNLOAD of the
"device" prior to logout, and/or use MOUNT /SYSTEM, both of which would
avoid what I'm guessing is an unimplemented SCSI 0x1b unload command.
Or don't log out, and don't shutdown. Or let it crash. OpenVMS tends to
recover from crashes fairly well, so there's that. I'd suspect that
some of the folks using axpbox emulator may have not tried the CD path,
and were mounted disk images from files as the "devices". That is this
isn't a particularly unusual code-path for OpenVMS.

I don't know whether axpbox supports emulated CDs or if it offers a
pass-through to the CD/DVD optical media hardware on the host. I've
seen both approaches used on various emulators.

What follows is for those following along at home:

axpbox emulator: https://github.com/lenticularis39/axpbox
axpbox maintainer: https://github.com/lenticularis39

Tim has already logged a bug report at github and another person has
then cross-posted my followup to Tim, and that bug report and that
discussion are here:

https://github.com/lenticularis39/axpbox/issues/36
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/n1ub5iV2zNI/m/f39V-V-KAQAJ

With that bug report logged, Tim will either be waiting for the
maintainer or somebody else to have a look and submitting a fix or
enhancement for this within axpbox, or spending some time in the axpbox
source code and maybe issuing a pull request, or (if this is a priority
project for Tim) paying somebody to look at this and submit the fix to
the maintainer.

Folks around here in this newsgroup do tend to know OpenVMS fairly
well, but the discussions of the axpbox emulator here in the
comp.os.vms newsgroup go back all of ~two days. Whether the emulator
maintainer is even aware of this newsgroup is unclear.

Fastest way: pull down the axpbox source code, and have a look at the
SCSI command parser implementation. This per my previous reply.

And FWIW: this usenet newsgroup well predates the corporate existence
of Google, and while Google Groups is a web-based front-ends available
for reading usenet postings, Google is not where this or any other
usenet newsgroups are hosted. There are various usenet servers around
the 'net, some free and some available for a fee. This beyond the web
interface offered at Google.
Hans Bachner
2020-11-19 22:26:21 UTC
Tim,
Post by Timothy Stark
Folks,
I am figuring out how to mount/unmount CD/tape images on axpbox emulator
without shutting system down like on SIMH VAX emulator?
When I run axpbox, there is no prompt to change CD/tape images. There is
only way to change es40.cfg file requires system and emulator shutdown.
Are that plans to add prompt to axpbox emulator to supporting mount/unmount
images, etc while running system?
I could not try AXPbox yet (my first attempt resulted in an emulator
crash during VMS installation) but I would try this:

- dismount the CD / tape drive in VMS
- rename the CD image / tape image file to something else
- copy the desired CD image / tape image file to the directory given in
the axpbox configuration file and rename it to the file name which the
emulator expects
Post by Timothy Stark
disk0 .4 = file {
file = "img\scsi_cd.iso";
[...]
}
In this case, make sure that the CD image file is the "img" subdirectory
and has the name "scsi_cd.iso".

At least, this works for other emulators.

Good luck,
Hans.