[For sale] DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500au
Slo
2021-04-29 15:46:38 UTC
I have a working DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500au
for sale, located in the south of France.

Because of its weight, I plan to take it apart and sell as
parts (RAM 1152MB, motherboard, PSU) on eBay.

Any suggestions, offers? If someone from Europe is to
(ever again) travel south in the current situation to pick
it up, I can keep the system intact for a few more months.

Slo
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-29 16:58:41 UTC
Post by Slo
I have a working DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500au
for sale, located in the south of France.
Because of its weight, I plan to take it apart and sell as
parts (RAM 1152MB, motherboard, PSU) on eBay.
Any suggestions, offers? If someone from Europe is to
(ever again) travel south in the current situation to pick
it up, I can keep the system intact for a few more months.
Please don't do that. At least wait a few weeks and see if anyone wants
to collect the whole thing. I've driven further than that for DEC gear.

:-)
Crabs
2021-04-29 22:11:35 UTC
A few years ago you could pickup complete PWS 433A/AU and PWS 500A/AU systems for less than $150 U.S. on eBay, and there were always half a dozen or more available at any given time. The PWS600A/AU's were a different story entirely, perhaps because they didn't sell as well as the other two Miata variants.
These days however, only one or two are ever listed and the price has gone through the roof.
Supply and demand I suppose.
International shipping would probably cost far more than the computer itself, depending on where it was going.
In a happy world, it will go to a loving home somewhere within easy driving distance from it's current home and the knowledge that it was going to be loved and used as it was intended would be payment enough.
In the real world however, you'll be lucky to get a few hundred dollars for the parts, and should you sell them eBay they will likely wind up in the lairs of the woebegotten obsolete computer parts warehouses. As much as we're all aware of the necessity of said lairs, it surely chafes to pay their premium when that one components made entirely of unobtanium can only be found in their treasure horde.

Good luck!
'Crabs
Jon Schneider
2021-05-01 07:22:20 UTC
Post by Slo
I have a working DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500au
for sale, located in the south of France.
I must complement you on saying where it is. Most ads these days fail on
the basic inofmration.

Jon
Slo
2021-05-01 12:56:37 UTC
Post by Jon Schneider
I must complement you on saying where it is. Most ads these days fail on
the basic inofmration.
Jon
It may increase the chance that a boomer coming down here for vacation
(by car) is also a HW collector :-)
Volker Kerkhoff
2021-07-02 06:32:26 UTC
Post by Slo
I have a working DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500au
for sale, located in the south of France.
Depending on where you are (and if by south of France you mean mediterranean coast / Perpignan / Montpellier...) I could probably arrange pickup by a friend. I live in the south of Spain myself, but once picked up and in Spain, arranging transport within Spain should be the least of problems.

Feel free to mail with details if it's still available. I'll give it a good home and try to run OpenVMS on it (can you? have you?).