EVA 4nnn P6000 console shockwave flash needed
Baldrick
2021-03-11 16:58:54 UTC
After staring at an F in a browser window wondering why the P6000 console won't start, realising that adobe's SWF has been removed from support and probably some corporate update has removed it, where do we go from here?

I did download an install from softpedia, but it appears not to have worked.

How are other coping / dealing with this?

Baldrick (without turnip, hoping for a cunning plan)
Andy Burns
Use IE11 and look into how to "unkill" flash for specific URLs using mms.cfg
Stephen Hoffman
2021-03-11 18:50:58 UTC
Post by Baldrick
After staring at an F in a browser window wondering why the P6000
console won't start, realising that adobe's SWF has been removed from
support and probably some corporate update has removed it, where do we
go from here?
How are other coping / dealing with this?
https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-EVA-Storage/HPE-EVA-P6000-Data-Warehouse-without-Adobe-Flash/td-p/7117033

Or replacing the older gear, as SSD performance is better / cheaper /
faster than a whole lot of old high-end HDD-focused storage.
Baldrick
2021-04-13 10:19:10 UTC
https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-EVA-Storage/HPE-EVA-P6000-Data-Warehouse-without-Adobe-Flash/td-p/7117033
Or replacing the older gear, as SSD performance is better / cheaper /
faster than a whole lot of old high-end HDD-focused storage.
So here is the irony. The EVA replaced a serial cabled HSG80, which in this
situation would still be accessible ! Newer ain't always better, and you
know the old story that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, replace it, update it
as it's cheaper to buy nothing. How long till a shiny new 3PAR goes inaccessible
due to "new" security or access methods? SSH makes it look a dodgy
prospect now from VMS. Non starter. bring back DSSI and SWXCRs.

No one source, not even that article helps much. The browser also needs
to support flash, which means downgrading and then preventing
automatic update. This is in addition to installing the flash components
fron archived (or saved) distributions. I think the MMS.CFG is a red
herring.

While access to the EVA P6000 console still hasn't been established, I
have an old version of Opera that DOES support flash, I will install it OFF
the network, then connect up and see if I make progress. (when its installed
online it updates to a version that doesn't support flash. Grrrr.).

Another option might be a dual installation of firefox, the normal 64bit
then a 32 bit version 84 with update disabled. i need to check that
it doesn't interfere with the 64 bit version and i have a test platform.
It claims it creates a new profile.

All this waits while physical access is allowed for COVID19
restrictions, and remote access got cut and not re-established due to
some short sighted decisions. Another to add to my stories of
things you can't make up.
Andy Burns
2021-04-13 10:31:05 UTC
I think the MMS.CFG is a red herring.
It certainly isn't, I've used it to get access to "legacy" systems
requiring flash.
Baldrick
2021-04-13 10:33:44 UTC
Thanks Andy, what's your working solution?
Andy Burns
2021-04-13 11:15:15 UTC
Post by Baldrick
Post by Andy Burns
I think the MMS.CFG is a red herring.
It certainly isn't, I've used it to get access to "legacy" systems
requiring flash.
Thanks Andy, what's your working solution?
Find the correct location for the mms.cfg file, depending on O/S edition
and browser, for 64 bit Windows using IE11, that's in

%WINDIR%\syswow64\macromed\flash\

You'll need to use admin rights to create the file in that folder,
content as follows, add as many patterns as you need ...

EOLUninstallDisable=1
AutoUpdateDisable=1
EnableAllowList=1
AllowListURLPattern=http://hostname/
AllowListURLPattern=http://fully.qualified.domain.name:port/
AllowListURLPattern=https://www.whatever.tld/
Baldrick
2021-04-30 08:33:05 UTC
On Tuesday, 13 April 2021 at 12:15:24 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Thank you, I will try that. It is now complicated in that the
VPN gateway has been removed and we have to RDP to
a box, so it needs installing on THAT box, to which we
are just users (obviously.)

Requires a site visit, with my laptop, and in COVID times needs
manager approval and justification for access (even
though I hold one of their corporate door access cards).

Does IE11 still have support for flash?

(My organisation manages what patches are applied so
disabling the one that removes flash is not an option).

FWIW a colleague suggested putting the "Opera" update
domain in localhosts as 127.0.0.1 so it is fixed at V73. I'll
try that too, with the MMS edits you give. Surprising how many
variations there are out there. Or maybe it isn't.
Andy Burns
2021-04-30 09:22:32 UTC
Post by Baldrick
Does IE11 still have support for flash?
It does, but needs those "unkill" settings in the mms.cfg file