Over 70 x rx2800 in stock right now October 7 2021
David Turner, Islandco.com
2021-10-07 15:19:19 UTC
WE have HPE Integrity rx2800 i2 and i4 in stock
Over 70 servers ready to ship
Let me know if you need any servers or parts

We also offer maintenance contracts now starting at $600 per year in the
US and Canada
Europe also but pricing is different

David
Island Computers
912 401 3090
dturner - islandco.com
Arne Vajhøj
2021-10-07 15:27:44 UTC
Post by David Turner, Islandco.com
WE have HPE Integrity rx2800 i2 and i4 in stock
Over 70 servers ready to ship
Let me know if you need any servers or parts
Apropos the recent discussion about the current need
to cross compiler for VMS x86-64: have you considered
a bundle: an Itanium with all cross compilers pre-installed
and licensed to allow those that want to try
their stuff on VMS x86-64 and do not have a spare
Itanium available. Not sure how VSI would license
such, but I am sure VSI would love to see a lot
of customers getting ready for x86-64.

Arne
David Turner
2021-10-16 22:14:45 UTC
VSI does us NO favours/favors. We couldn't offer any licensing that
might benefit us
They will not discount their licensing to us (well, they offer a 8%
allowance for a one time new sale to a new customer) so in most cases
nothing.
I can guarantee that VSI has more concern over what is on the buffet
table at their Friday corporate lumch than their relationship with us

David
2021-10-16 23:10:37 UTC
Post by David Turner
Post by Arne Vajhøj
[...]
Weird.

I think you are the primary supplier of hardware for their OS.

2021-10-17 03:38:00 UTC
Post by David Turner
Post by Arne Vajhøj
[...]
Just wondering, why do you think that?

David's always been good to me, got my thanks.
2021-10-17 18:29:28 UTC
Post by David Turner
Post by Arne Vajhøj
[...]
HPE stopped focusing on VMS a long time ago. And I believe they have
stopped selling Itanium completely now.

That leaves the second hand market. And IslandCo is as far
as I know by far the biggest vendor in that.

So if someone want a VMS box then until 9.2 x86-64 is ready, then
IslandCo and David is it.
Post by Dave Froble
David's always been good to me, got my thanks.
Same here.

2021-10-17 19:26:12 UTC
Post by David Turner
VSI does us NO favours/favors. We couldn't offer any licensing that
might benefit us
They will not discount their licensing to us (well, they offer a 8%
allowance for a one time new sale to a new customer) so in most cases
nothing.
I can guarantee that VSI has more concern over what is on the buffet
table at their Friday corporate lumch than their relationship with us
If someone from VSI is reading this, can you consider raising this
internally to see if both VSI and David can benefit from offering
David more flexible licencing ?

2021-10-17 19:42:11 UTC
Post by David Turner
VSI does us NO favours/favors. We couldn't offer any licensing that
might benefit us
They will not discount their licensing to us (well, they offer a 8%
allowance for a one time new sale to a new customer) so in most cases
nothing.
I can guarantee that VSI has more concern over what is on the buffet
table at their Friday corporate lumch than their relationship with us
If someone from VSI is reading this, can you consider raising this
internally to see if both VSI and David can benefit from offering
David more flexible licencing ?
Note that I started this subtopic for one very specific
case: Itanium systems to host cross-compilers for VMS x86-64.
Getting as much stuff available for VMS x86-64 as posisble
should be a top priority for VSI.
I know Arne. It's a very real issue and providing cheap testbeds
to those customers still on Alpha can really help VSI here.

That's why I am puzzled by VSI's attitude as reported by David.

2021-10-17 21:03:19 UTC
Post by David Turner
[...]
And it is not necessarily just Alpha.

Those on Alpha absolutely need an Itanium, because cross
compilers are not available on Alpha.

But even those on Itanium may want an extra development box
for the VMS x86-64 development.

2021-10-17 21:34:10 UTC
Post by David Turner
[...]
I actually asked the question, if there was any plans to make a IA64
system available "on the net" where one could get an account and try out
some of ones own sources. And download to the 9.1A kit and try out.
This was at one of the x86 webinars this spring (or early summer).

I think there was some "lets come back to that" reply from one of the
VSI guys, but I have neither heard or seen anything more about that.

I *have* done a VMS install one IA64 box many years ago (just for fun)
but I'm not sure I'd like to take the time to do a full setup today
including the cross compilers...

A public system where one could get an account and having the cross
compilers already setup could be a good thing.

Jan-Erik.
Arne Vajhøj
2021-10-17 23:21:59 UTC
[...]
For just trying out a few things then a shared system
with the cross compilers would be great.

But for more serious ports of software I suspect that
most companies would prefer their own server within their
own secure network.

And it should not be so much work if the boxes was sold
with VMS and cross-compilers pre-installed.

2021-10-18 09:30:48 UTC
[...]
Yes, OK. Anyway, we would still need to "port" from Alpha to IA64
to be able to cross compile for x86. Question is if it would be better
to simply wait for the native compilers...
Arne Vajhøj
2021-10-18 13:05:59 UTC
A public system where one could get an account and having the cross
compilers already setup could be a good thing.
For just trying out a few things then a shared system
with the cross compilers would be great.
But for more serious ports of software I suspect that
most companies would prefer their own server within their
own secure network.
And it should not be so much work if the boxes was sold
with VMS and cross-compilers pre-installed.
Yes, OK. Anyway, we would still need to "port" from Alpha to IA64
to be able to cross compile for x86.
No.

You would need to copy the source code from Alpha to Itanium
to build and you would need to copy the the result from
Itanium to x86-64, but you do not need to build for Itanium and
the code does not need to work on Itanium.
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
Question is if it would be better
to simply wait for the native compilers...
That must depend a lot on your timeline.

If you want to wait maybe 3 years migrating to x86-64 then
waiting for native compilers must be fine.

Do you want to migrate as soon as possible then
cross compilers could give you many months of head
start.

In general with such projects I would prefer to
start early to be able to assess risks and potential
problems. Or lack of those!

2021-10-18 01:11:48 UTC
Post by David Turner
VSI does us NO favours/favors. We couldn't offer any licensing that
might benefit us
They will not discount their licensing to us (well, they offer a 8%
allowance for a one time new sale to a new customer) so in most cases
nothing.
I can guarantee that VSI has more concern over what is on the buffet
table at their Friday corporate lumch than their relationship with us
If someone from VSI is reading this, can you consider raising this
internally to see if both VSI and David can benefit from offering
David more flexible licencing ?
Simon.
One would think that it is in VSI's best interest to get as many itanics
in users hands, since current licensing would include support. A win for
VSI. A win for David if he gets more sales.

But to be honest, I'm not sure just what VSI's goals are. I've seen
several things that cause me to wonder.