Where do you find documentation for TCP/IP services for OpenVMS 5.7 ?
Add Reply
Jon Pinkley
2020-12-29 22:01:51 UTC
VSI 8.4-2L1 ships with V5.7, but the documention at the VSI website is for the Multinet based 10.6, and if I understand correctly, this path has been abandoned.

Where is the current documentation for TCP/IP services for OpenVMS 5.7?
Chris Townley
2020-12-29 23:20:01 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
VSI 8.4-2L1 ships with V5.7, but the documention at the VSI website is for the Multinet based 10.6, and if I understand correctly, this path has been abandoned.
Where is the current documentation for TCP/IP services for OpenVMS 5.7?
ISTR it has been stated there is none!

Last was for 5.6

2020-12-29 23:26:25 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
VSI 8.4-2L1 ships with V5.7, but the documention at the VSI website is
for the Multinet based 10.6, and if I understand correctly, this path has
been abandoned.
Where is the current documentation for  TCP/IP services for OpenVMS 5.7?
ISTR it has been stated there is none!
Last was for 5.6
Chris
Plus the Release notes for 5.7, such as:

http://h30266.www3.hpe.com/odl/i64os/network/tcpip57eco2/tcprn/tcp_rnpro.html

There are only two new featurs listed, none of them that important.

The release notes also says that:

The following manuals are not updated for TCP/IP Services Version 5.7...

TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Installation and Configuration
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management Guide
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Guide to SSH
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Concepts and Planning
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management Command Reference
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Management Command Quick Reference Card
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS ONC RPC Programming
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Sockets API and System Services Programming
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Tuning and Troubleshooting
TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS User's Guide
Jon Pinkley
2020-12-31 00:02:41 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
[...]
Thanks,

http://h30266.www3.hpe.com/odl/i64os/network/tcpip57eco2/tcpip57.htm

Does have links to all the above, but some of them go back to 5.3 with date 2002 (Compaq ... Concepts and Planning)
http://h30266.www3.hpe.com/odl/i64os/network/tcpip57eco2/tcprn/tcpip053_concepts.pdf
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2020-12-31 12:03:27 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
Post by Jon Pinkley
[...]
Well, the concepts around TCP/IP i general are still the same... :-)

And yes, I think I have seens that also. Seems as the Release Notes are
the best source for anything changed in later versions.

Simon Clubley
2020-12-30 14:12:06 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
VSI 8.4-2L1 ships with V5.7, but the documention at the VSI website is for
the Multinet based 10.6, and if I understand correctly, this path has been
abandoned.
Yes, it has. Given the initial promotion of the Multinet approach, it
would be nice to know what changed. I wonder if VSI hit a fundamental
problem which stopped Multinet from being a compatible plug-in option
for TCP/IP Services ?
Post by Jon Pinkley
Where is the current documentation for TCP/IP services for OpenVMS 5.7?
As Jan-Erik says, there is none (apart from the release notes) as
far as I am aware.

That's something VSI should fix as soon as possible (even if they
just alter the existing manuals to match the current version).

It doesn't exactly present a good image as things stand...

If the Multinet documentation is indeed still on the VSI website,
it should probably be removed for the same reason.

2020-12-30 14:16:47 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
VSI 8.4-2L1 ships with V5.7, but the documention at the VSI website is for
the Multinet based 10.6, and if I understand correctly, this path has been
abandoned.
Yes, it has. Given the initial promotion of the Multinet approach, it
would be nice to know what changed. I wonder if VSI hit a fundamental
problem which stopped Multinet from being a compatible plug-in option
for TCP/IP Services ?
In case anyone is confused, that should say "a compatible plug-in
alternative to TCP/IP Services ? ". Multinet is a replacement for
TCP/IP Services, not something that is a component of it. Sorry.