OpenVMS 9.1 C Compiler
Andrew Brehm
2021-09-23 10:04:15 UTC
I finally found time to install OpenVMS 9.1

I got it to run on vSphere (configuring the serial port in vCenter was annoying) and managed to install OpenSSH.

Then I noticed that while a pascal command exists, cc is missing.

Is a C compiler not done yet? I couldn't find a package.

Or am I overlooking something?
Jan-Erik Söderholm
It has been said that most compilers still uses cross-compile on IA64.
Arne Vajhøj
2021-09-23 11:52:04 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
I finally found time to install OpenVMS 9.1
I got it to run on vSphere (configuring the serial port in vCenter was
annoying) and managed to install OpenSSH.
Then I noticed that while a pascal command exists, cc is missing.
Is a C compiler not done yet? I couldn't find a package.
Or am I overlooking something?
It has been said that most compilers still uses cross-compile on IA64.
And while the PASCAL verb is there then the compiler most
likely is not.

Arne
Andrew Brehm
Too bad. :(
Arne Vajhøj
2021-09-23 20:47:48 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
Post by Andrew Brehm
I finally found time to install OpenVMS 9.1
I got it to run on vSphere (configuring the serial port in vCenter
was annoying) and managed to install OpenSSH.
Then I noticed that while a pascal command exists, cc is missing.
Is a C compiler not done yet? I couldn't find a package.
Or am I overlooking something?
It has been said that most compilers still uses cross-compile on IA64.
And while the PASCAL verb is there then the compiler most
likely is not.
Too bad. :(
Yes.

The explanation for the verb is here:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/p8O-kaov65g/m/p0vw1AtjAgAJ

2021-09-23 13:32:27 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
I finally found time to install OpenVMS 9.1
I got it to run on vSphere (configuring the serial port in vCenter was annoying) and managed to install OpenSSH.
Then I noticed that while a pascal command exists, cc is missing.
Is a C compiler not done yet? I couldn't find a package.
Or am I overlooking something?
There are no native compilers for V9.1. Not even a native Macro.

You need to use cross-compilers that host on Itanium.

The base OS has always included some compiler DCL verbs (goes all the way back to VAX) but the compiler installation would provide a newer version.

We are working on native compilers now but don't have a firm date. For instance, we've been building native pieces of GEM using the cross-compilers.
Andrew Brehm
Ouch. I hope for good progress. I don't have a Itanium machine around unfortunately.
Mark Daniel
2021-09-23 21:50:15 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
I finally found time to install OpenVMS 9.1
I got it to run on vSphere (configuring the serial port in vCenter was annoying) and managed to install OpenSSH.
Then I noticed that while a pascal command exists, cc is missing.
Is a C compiler not done yet? I couldn't find a package.
Or am I overlooking something?
There are no native compilers for V9.1. Not even a native Macro.
You need to use cross-compilers that host on Itanium.
The base OS has always included some compiler DCL verbs (goes all the way back to VAX) but the compiler installation would provide a newer version.
We are working on native compilers now but don't have a firm date. For instance, we've been building native pieces of GEM using the cross-compilers.
That casts a shadow over native compilers for V9.1(-A? - due end of this
month?) and further over V9.2 (2021 2nd half - max three months away).
--
Anyone, who using social-media, forms an opinion regarding anything
other than the relative cuteness of this or that puppy-dog, needs
seriously to examine their critical thinking.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-09-24 13:52:45 UTC
Post by Mark Daniel
Post by Andrew Brehm
[...]
Indeed.
Everything else is excusable (no web server, no database server etc.) but
an OS must have a shell and a compiler or assembler for some language at a
minimum.
I hope 9.2 will be complete.
Other than that I was not too unhappy with 9.1. Installation is quite
fluent (even if a bit annoying with the serial connection) and the boot
manager is very nice.
Now... VSI has been *very* clear about the situation around compilers.
I do not understand why you complain about that now or why you expected
anything else than what has been clearly communicated.
Andrew Brehm
What complaining?
Simon Clubley
2021-09-24 17:51:19 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
Everything else is excusable (no web server, no database server etc.) but an OS must have a shell and a compiler or assembler for some language at a minimum.
I hope 9.2 will be complete.
Other than that I was not too unhappy with 9.1. Installation is quite fluent (even if a bit annoying with the serial connection) and the boot manager is very nice.
Now... VSI has been *very* clear about the situation around compilers.
I do not understand why you complain about that now or why you expected
anything else than what has been clearly communicated.
What complaining?
You may not have intended it as such, but the above did come across
as complaining about the compiler situation, and for all the policy
communications complaints I have about VSI, they have indeed been
very clear about the compiler situation.

Now perhaps if I ask John how he's getting on with an Ada compiler ? :-)

2021-09-24 21:17:00 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
[...]
Simon.
Only if you write the question on the back of a $100M bill will he reply ...
2021-09-24 22:58:18 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
[...]
That's not really necessary, The answer is there isn't going
to be one unless ADACore does it and that is hardly likely.
bill
What? You doubt that John would come up with something for a hundred
million? Bet for that much ADAcore would too.
2021-09-25 12:04:40 UTC
Post by Andrew Brehm
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
[...]
No, I just doubt that anyone is going to come up with even a penny.
Sad, really, when you realize that like many other things Ada got
it's start on VMS which had one of the first validated compilers.
I remember well the work being done on the 11/750 at West Point
and how everyone logged off the machine when the Ada compiler was
in use because it pretty much grinded to a halt. :-)