Looking for early VAX/VMS CSD Consolidated Software Distribution
Malte Dehling
2021-04-11 09:32:36 UTC
The earliest version of CSD I have is 1991/05. I'm looking for older
versions (related to my search for VAXSET Software Engineering Tools.)

I've found a listing for CSD 1990/01 containing VAXSET080 (on CD 1.)
Anyone have that CD and is willing to share?

I'm not sure when the first CSD appeared, but I'd be interested in other
versions from 1990 and possibly before, too.
Malte Dehling
Volker Halle
2021-04-11 10:04:41 UTC
Malte,

there is a ConDist database on de.openvms.org.

It lists VAXset V8.0 on the JAN-1990 ConDist CD as the earliest version.

Volker.
Malte Dehling
2021-04-11 10:21:24 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
It lists VAXset V8.0 on the JAN-1990 ConDist CD as the earliest version.
Thanks, Volker, that's actually where I found the mention of VAXSET080.
The database is incomplete, however. E.g., I have a CSD for May 1991
which is not listed.
Malte Dehling
Martin Vorländer
2021-04-11 18:05:13 UTC
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Volker Halle
It lists VAXset V8.0 on the JAN-1990 ConDist CD as the earliest version.
Thanks, Volker, that's actually where I found the mention of VAXSET080.
The database is incomplete, however. E.g., I have a CSD for May 1991
which is not listed.
It's just the data of the CDs I have access to at my employer, plus a few
cd_contents files that people sent me. I'm willing to integrate any data
anyone can provide. My email address is valid.

cu,
Martin
Malte Dehling
2021-04-11 22:16:45 UTC
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Volker Halle
It lists VAXset V8.0 on the JAN-1990 ConDist CD as the earliest version.
Thanks, Volker, that's actually where I found the mention of VAXSET080.
The database is incomplete, however. E.g., I have a CSD for May 1991
which is not listed.
It's just the data of the CDs I have access to at my employer, plus a few
cd_contents files that people sent me. I'm willing to integrate any data
anyone can provide. My email address is valid.
Hi Martin! Thanks a lot for your work on this, the database is very
helpful! All I meant to say by my comment was that the fact that there
is no earlier version of CSD (before Jan 1990) in the database is no
proof that no earlier version existed :-)

Do you have access to the CSD for 1990-01? If so, could you share an
iso image with me?

CSD 1991-05 and the PDF with contents listing are available here:

https://vaxstuff.wordpress.com/downloads/

Cheers,
Malte Dehling
Martin Vorländer
2021-04-12 17:33:39 UTC
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Martin Vorländer
It's just the data of the CDs I have access to at my employer, plus a few
cd_contents files that people sent me. I'm willing to integrate any data
anyone can provide. My email address is valid.
Hi Martin! Thanks a lot for your work on this, the database is very
helpful! All I meant to say by my comment was that the fact that there
is no earlier version of CSD (before Jan 1990) in the database is no
proof that no earlier version existed :-)
Do you have access to the CSD for 1990-01? If so, could you share an
iso image with me?
Sorry, no. That one was one of the CSD listings someone sent me.
Post by Malte Dehling
https://vaxstuff.wordpress.com/downloads/
Thanks. I downloaded cdbin01may11.iso, extracted [CDROM]CD_CONTENTS.DAT,
and added the information to the database. Tomorrow, I will update the
site.

cu,
Martin
Malte Dehling
2021-04-13 13:59:17 UTC
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Martin Vorländer
It's just the data of the CDs I have access to at my employer, plus a few
cd_contents files that people sent me. I'm willing to integrate any data
anyone can provide. My email address is valid.
Hi Martin! Thanks a lot for your work on this, the database is very
helpful! All I meant to say by my comment was that the fact that there
is no earlier version of CSD (before Jan 1990) in the database is no
proof that no earlier version existed :-)
Do you have access to the CSD for 1990-01? If so, could you share an
iso image with me?
Sorry, no. That one was one of the CSD listings someone sent me.
Is there any chance you might still have their contact information and
could put me in touch with them? Maybe just give them my email address
if it is not too much trouble?
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
https://vaxstuff.wordpress.com/downloads/
Thanks. I downloaded cdbin01may11.iso, extracted [CDROM]CD_CONTENTS.DAT,
and added the information to the database. Tomorrow, I will update the
site.
Thanks again, I have that page bookmarked since it's so useful in
tracking down software :-)

Cheers,
Malte Dehling
Martin Vorländer
2021-04-14 14:39:48 UTC
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Do you have access to the CSD for 1990-01? If so, could you share an
iso image with me?
Sorry, no. That one was one of the CSD listings someone sent me.
Is there any chance you might still have their contact information and
could put me in touch with them? Maybe just give them my email address
if it is not too much trouble?
Sorry, again. I've searched all my emails, but I fear the details have
been lost. It's been a few years.

cu,
Martin
Malte Dehling
2021-04-14 15:59:16 UTC
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Do you have access to the CSD for 1990-01? If so, could you share an
iso image with me?
Sorry, no. That one was one of the CSD listings someone sent me.
Is there any chance you might still have their contact information and
could put me in touch with them? Maybe just give them my email address
if it is not too much trouble?
Sorry, again. I've searched all my emails, but I fear the details have
been lost. It's been a few years.
That's too bad. Thanks a lot anyway!
Malte Dehling
Malte Dehling
2021-05-13 09:42:29 UTC
Post by Martin Vorländer
Post by Malte Dehling
Post by Volker Halle
It lists VAXset V8.0 on the JAN-1990 ConDist CD as the earliest version.
Thanks, Volker, that's actually where I found the mention of
VAXSET080. The database is incomplete, however. E.g., I have a CSD
for May 1991 which is not listed.
It's just the data of the CDs I have access to at my employer, plus a
few cd_contents files that people sent me. I'm willing to integrate
any data anyone can provide. My email address is valid.
Did you get my email with the cd_contents files for the following?

- VMS AD Software Consolidation 1989-07
- VMS Consolidated Software Distribution 1989-07
- VMS Consolidated Software Distribution 1989-11

If anyone here has other old CONDIST CDs, I would be very interested.
I'm not sure when they first appeared, but I know there was a CONDIST
1989-03.

Cheers,
Malte
Malte Dehling
Timothy Stark
2021-05-13 14:13:13 UTC
No, I did not get that email message yet. I am looking for older VMS
consolidated distro 1989 for VMS 4.x systems too.

Tim

Malte Dehling
Malte Dehling
2021-05-13 14:29:12 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
No, I did not get that email message yet. I am looking for older VMS
consolidated distro 1989 for VMS 4.x systems too.
Hi Tim,

I was talking about an email I sent directly to Martin to add these old
CONDISTs to the database at http://de.openvms.org/spl.php .

ISO images of these CDs are on archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/vms-ad-condist-1989-07
https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-07
https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-11

If you find others, I would love to hear about it.

Note that only some of the software will run under VMS 4.x, a lot of it
requires VMS 5.0/5.1 .

Cheers,
Malte
Malte Dehling
Malte Dehling
2021-05-14 01:13:19 UTC
Post by Malte Dehling
https://archive.org/details/vms-ad-condist-1989-07
https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-07
https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-11
there is now also:

https://archive.org/details/vms-condist-1989-05

Cheers,
Malte
Malte Dehling
Timothy Stark
2021-05-14 03:07:52 UTC
Thanks for that. I downloaded them via torrent stream.

Also there is VAX/VMS CSD for OpenVMS 6.1 on Archive website.

Tim

No, I did not get that email message yet. I am looking for older VMS
consolidated distro 1989 for VMS 4.x systems too.
Tim, my memory, which is rather faulty these days, is that pre V5 all
distribution was on tape. Could be wrong.
2021-05-13 17:02:11 UTC
I am looking for older VMS consolidated distro 1989 for VMS 4.x systems too.
You're probably not going to have much luck with that quest, and will
have to switch tactics and look for individual layered product kits.

As OpenVMS VAX was then known, VAX/VMS kit distributions and licensing
worked differently thirty-some years ago.

ConDist kits and the License Management Facility were intended to
replace the plethora of product kits and whatever patches that had
previously existed; to consolidate the distributions and the licensing.

ConDist was largely a creature of VAX/VMS V5.0 and later, and of the
availability of the License Management Facility, and of the advent of
then-capacious CD media.

This as layered product kits for versions prior to VAX/VMS V5.0 tended
to be distribution-restricted. Users licensed and purchased and got
specific layered product distro kits on TK50, 1600 BPI 9-track magtape,
TU58, RA60, and/or other distro media.

DECnet used patch-based licenses, but most layered products back then
didn't have separately-installed licenses, and didn't contain license
checks.

Here's what one of the few layered product licensing schemes looked
like, prior to LMF:
https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/freeware/v50/netrtg040/

CD layered product distribution kits did exist prior to VAX/VMS V5.0
(for those VAX/MicroVAX/VAXstation/VAXserver systems with CD drives),
but the aggrate ConDist-style CD layered product kits AFAIK did not.

DEC chose CD media and retired all the other installation kit media
with OpenVMS Alpha.

The lack of new media availability from media vendors and the lack of
CD load support triggered the retirement of all of the VAX-11 servers,
too.
2021-05-13 17:23:01 UTC
I may still have some TK50 distribution tapes around from that era. I can't say whether or not these are readable given their age. They have been kept dry and within reasonable temperature conditions though. If you are interested, let me know and I'll investigate further and list what is available.

Dan
Malte Dehling
2021-05-14 00:16:58 UTC
Post by abrsvc
I may still have some TK50 distribution tapes around from that era. I
can't say whether or not these are readable given their age. They
have been kept dry and within reasonable temperature conditions
though. If you are interested, let me know and I'll investigate
further and list what is available.
I would be very interested, if it is not too much trouble! I think this
stuff is worth preserving, and the tapes will only get worse over time.

Cheers,
Malte
Malte Dehling
Timothy Stark
2021-05-14 03:05:13 UTC
Yes, I am very interested also. Let us know when you made tape dumps.

Malte Dehling
k***@gmail.com
2021-05-18 00:51:24 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
worth preserving, and the tapes will only get worse over time.
Cheers,
Malte
--
Malte Dehling
Please add my name to the list of those interested in old media kits.

Thx,

https://www.avg.com