How to add licenses for interactive users
Add Reply
tada...@gmail.com
2020-11-11 20:09:51 UTC
I had a question about this.

We have licenses from one old retired system.

I wonder if we can take the USER or ADL licenses from
that system and add it to increase the number interactive users?

That is do multiple loaded license limit add up like that?
Stephen Hoffman
2020-11-12 18:53:06 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
We have licenses from one old retired system.
I wonder if we can take the USER or ADL licenses from that system and
add it to increase the number interactive users?
That is do multiple loaded license limit add up like that?
USER licenses are usually cumulative. The sum of what's installed is
what is available for logins. USER licenses can be tied to tier, so may
not be transferable across tiers. Check your PAK for details.

ADL licenses are not user licenses, and are not cumulative.

ADL licenses once allowed one or two logins "for system management
purposes", though that permission was removed an aeon or three ago
within then-VAX/VMS with the advent of remote management.

License transfers can be subject to vendor fees; check the related
paperwork and check with HPE. Finding somebody at HPE that knows and
can officially answer this will be difficult at best.

HPEFS was reportedly still selling VAX licenses, if that's what you're
still working with here.

Keeping folks off the DCL $ prompt was how folks avoided purchasing
USER licenses.

ADL licenses were intended for folks that didn't have or didn't need
users logged into $ DCL; that largely or solely ran their production
apps from dedicated logins.