Setting "Server Host Name" field on I64 Blades in C7000 enclosures
BillPedersen
2020-09-07 19:34:01 UTC
Has anyone worked up a hack to set the "Server Host Name" for a blade in a C7000 enclosure? This is done but the WBEM software but as I no longer have HPE hardware service this is sort of overkill for just this function. WBEM runs four or more processes and it would seem to me this SHOULD be a fairly simple task.

When this is not set by the host software it reverts to a blade description and serial number.

Thanks!

Bill.
Stephen Hoffman
2020-09-08 15:17:35 UTC
Post by BillPedersen
Has anyone worked up a hack to set the "Server Host Name" for a blade
in a C7000 enclosure? This is done but the WBEM software but as I no
longer have HPE hardware service this is sort of overkill for just this
function. WBEM runs four or more processes and it would seem to me
this SHOULD be a fairly simple task.
When this is not set by the host software it reverts to a blade
description and serial number.
Off-hand and IIRC, options are via the onboard adminstrator front
panel, or via the OA web interface, or via the OA command-line serial
or network...

Been a while since I've had to do this particular reconfiguration,
though—not as many c7000 boxes getting newly-installed in recent times.

Docs:
http://whp-aus1.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/catia/RCS/Product/Infrastructure/OA_UserGuide.pdf

community.hpe.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/itrc-775/19492/1/OA_CLI%20User%20Guide.pdf

Possibly related:
https://virtualcloudzz.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-assign-or-change-blade-name-in.html
BillPedersen
2020-09-08 15:38:49 UTC
Post by BillPedersen
[...]
Hoff,

Thanks, but...

Problem with the "how-to" is that it is for Proliant blades. Their interfaces have direct mechanisms. BL8x0c do not appear to have this feature from the CLI or the GUI. The iLO CLI manual has a SHOW SERVER NAMES command but no equivalent SET SERVER NAME... The GUI is as far as I can tell similarly silent. All references I have see where they say "Here, do this..." are in reference to the BL460 blade...

Still looking...

Bill.