SAS software for VAX/VMS
Add Reply
Gregory Reut
2020-11-04 08:13:40 UTC
Hi all,

Looking for an advice from VMS experts.

I need to read a bunch of SAS v5 data files which came from a VAX. (These are clinical research data from the end of 80ies.) As far as I understand, I would need either SAS software v5 for VAX/VMS, of SAS v8 with v5 engine engine to read those files:
https://v8doc.sas.com/sashtml/vms/z0248600.htm
SAS themselves couldn't help with either VAX/VMS version or with v5 engine.

Hence two questions:
- would anybody have by any chance v5 software or engine?
- perhpas there is another/better way to read the data?

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Louis Krupp
2020-11-04 11:31:41 UTC
Post by Gregory Reut
Hi all,
Looking for an advice from VMS experts.
https://v8doc.sas.com/sashtml/vms/z0248600.htm
SAS themselves couldn't help with either VAX/VMS version or with v5 engine.
- would anybody have by any chance v5 software or engine?
- perhpas there is another/better way to read the data?
Thanks in advance,
Greg
Someone in a SAS users group might have whatever you need, including a
contact within SAS who would be willing to help you. If you're a current
SAS user, that should help.

Back in the early 80s, I wanted something that would run on a VAX/VMS
system and read a bunch of SPSS system files that had been created on a
Burroughs B6800. I had a contact within SPSS whom I'd met at a Burroughs
users' conference; I signed a nondisclosure agreement, SPSS sent me at
least part of the source of whatever version of SPSS had created the
files, and I wrote a FORTRAN program that would read the Burroughs files
and create export files (or whatever SPSS called them) that could then
be imported by SPSS on VAX/VMS.

As I recall, creating export files on the Burroughs wasn't an option,
because its (somewhat older) version of SPSS didn't have that feature.
The only alternative for saving all that data would have been formatting
and creating flat files and transcribing variable names and so on and it
would have been a lot of work for a lot of users.

Good luck.

Louis
Arne Vajhøj
2020-11-04 14:09:56 UTC
Post by Gregory Reut
I need to read a bunch of SAS v5 data files which came from a VAX.
(These are clinical research data from the end of 80ies.) As far as I
understand, I would need either SAS software v5 for VAX/VMS, of SAS
https://v8doc.sas.com/sashtml/vms/z0248600.htm SAS themselves
couldn't help with either VAX/VMS version or with v5 engine.
Hence two questions: - would anybody have by any chance v5 software
or engine? - perhpas there is another/better way to read the data?
SAS V5 used a pretty simple data format.

25 years ago I wrote some C code that could directly read data set
and display on web.

I have not used that code for like 20 years. And It was only tested
on very simple data sets.

But you could take a look.

https://www.vajhoej.dk/arne/info-vax/cgi/sas.zip