Failure of PWS433AU video card
2020-10-18 06:07:06 UTC
After a brief spell of the monitor repeatedly trying to autofit, or
seems the video card in my PWS433AU

The manual suggests the following video cards were available

PCXGA-AA Matrox Millenium PCI VGA adapter
SN-PCXAG-AV Accel Graphics Pro 2000 3D PCI VGA adapter
30-XXXXX-XX Digital TGA2 3D PCI graphics VGA adapter
30-XXXXX-XX Accel Graphics Viper 3D PCI VGA adapter
SN-PBXGI-AA Digital Cateyes/Bobcat graphics adapter

Mine came with a Matrox, which worked well enough.

Looking for a replacement, and see on the bay of E, 2MB Matrox
MGA-MIL/2BI 576-06 REV: B PCI VGA Graphics Video Card

This seems a slightly later version - will it work?

Otherwise any other suggestions? Please bear in mind I cannot currently
get access to the console to change any settings

TI

Chris
Hans Bachner
2020-10-18 11:12:10 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Townley
After a brief spell of the monitor repeatedly trying to autofit, or
seems the video card in my PWS433AU
[...]
Mine came with a Matrox, which worked well enough.
Looking for a replacement, and see on the bay of E, 2MB Matrox
MGA-MIL/2BI 576-06 REV: B PCI VGA Graphics Video Card
This seems a slightly later version - will it work?
Otherwise any other suggestions? Please bear in mind I cannot currently
get access to the console to change any settings
Can't comment/guess on the Matrox card, but I'm pretty sure you can
switch the console to serial by connecting a terminal (emulator) to
COM1, switch on the PWS and repeatedly hit <enter> on the terminal until
the SRM prompt appears. Once you are there, you can make the setting
permanent with ">>> set console serial".

At least this approach works for several other Alphas I've come across.

Hope this helps,
Hans.
Chris Townley
2020-10-18 11:28:42 UTC
Post by Hans Bachner
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris Townley
[...]
Thanks, I might give that a try

Chris
Ben Lambert
2020-10-18 11:13:11 UTC
This site is a fairly good reference:

http://moon.hanya-n.org/comp/alpha/hct/graphics.html

Cards that I use in my PWS600s:

Powerstorm 3D30
Powerstorm 4D20
ELSA GLoria

Cards that won't work (require EV6-class)

Radeon 7000/7500
Powerstorm 300

The answer also somewhat depends on the OS you are running, there are more options if you are running Tru64 (but I assume not).
Chris
Ben Lambert
2020-10-18 11:22:45 UTC
If you just want something cheap that works, this old c.o.v thread suggests the S3 Trio64V is also supported, and they're dirt cheap on ebay.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/Qn2-U4E8lgs/m/YoBxprQSNlMJ

HTH
Post by Ben Lambert
http://moon.hanya-n.org/comp/alpha/hct/graphics.html
Powerstorm 3D30
Powerstorm 4D20
ELSA GLoria
Cards that won't work (require EV6-class)
Radeon 7000/7500
Powerstorm 300 (E&S RealImage 2100)
2020-10-18 11:44:46 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
After a brief spell of the monitor repeatedly trying to autofit, or
seems the video card in my PWS433AU
The manual suggests the following video cards were available
PCXGA-AA Matrox Millenium PCI VGA adapter
SN-PCXAG-AV Accel Graphics Pro 2000 3D PCI VGA adapter
30-XXXXX-XX Digital TGA2 3D PCI graphics VGA adapter
30-XXXXX-XX Accel Graphics Viper 3D PCI VGA adapter
SN-PBXGI-AA Digital Cateyes/Bobcat graphics adapter
Mine came with a Matrox, which worked well enough.
Looking for a replacement, and see on the bay of E, 2MB Matrox
MGA-MIL/2BI 576-06 REV: B PCI VGA Graphics Video Card
This seems a slightly later version - will it work?
Otherwise any other suggestions? Please bear in mind I cannot currently
get access to the console to change any settings
TI
Chris
Currently running HP OpenVMS 8.3, but intend to upgrade to VSI OpenVMS
V8.4-2L1 to retain hobbyist license.

The S3Trio64V+ must be supported, as that is on the original Matrox board.

Did a check on the bay of E, and found the exact card I have - at half
the price of the one I mentioned!

Will order it - just hope it works!

Many thanks

Chris
Crabs
2020-10-19 16:59:41 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
[...]
Matrox Millenium and S3Trio64V not supported by CDE/Motif but recognized by SRM.
CDE/Motif supported in PWS:
DEC Powerstorm 3D30
DEC Powerstorm 4D10
DEC Powerstorm 4D20
Elsa Gloria Synergy PCI 8mb

Crabs
Chris Townley
2020-10-19 20:12:07 UTC
Post by Crabs
Post by Chris Townley
[...]
Well I have been running CDE on the console for many years on this
machine with a Matrox Millennium, which has a S3Trio64V