VAX kit availability?
Dan Cross
2021-08-06 19:07:29 UTC
With the demise of the HPE hobbyist program, it seems like
availability of the VAX kits are similarly limited? My copy
of VAXVMS073.ZIP seems to be corrupted:

--->CUT<---
Archive: VAXVMS073.ZIP
This is the OpenVMS VAX
V7.3 operating system CD-ROM.
This is the FIRST disk of the OpenVMS VAX CD-ROM kit.

This kit specifically contains a zip of a BACKUP/IMAGE of the
installation CD-ROM medium. To (correctly) decompress, use a
version of unzip that preserves the OpenVMS file attributes, or
use a tool that will restore the BACKUP saveset attributes.
To install this kit, unzip it, BACKUP/IMAGE to restore it to a
scratch disk, then install or upgrade OpenVMS using the standard
procedures for CD-ROM distribution kits.
warning [VAXVMS073.ZIP]: 909878 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
(attempting to process anyway)
file #1: bad zipfile offset (local header sig): 909878
(attempting to re-compensate)
inflating: vaxvms073.bck
error: invalid compressed data to inflate
error: not enough memory for bomb detection
--->CUT<---

Am I just holding it wrong? Thanks!

- Dan C.
Steven Schweda
2021-08-07 19:05:13 UTC
warning [VAXVMS073.ZIP]: 909878 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
That's usually a sign of a (poorly constructed) self-extracting
archive, in which case it should be harmless.
error: not enough memory for bomb detection
That looks like a message from some code which a fellow wrote to save
UnZip (6.0) from a particular problem in a (malicious) zip archive which
can generate a very large output from a harmlessly-small-looking archive.

I believe that some GNU/Linux distributions (Debian?) may have
incorporated that code in their UnZip programs. I haven't looked at
that stuff for a while, but I'd expect there to be an option to disable
the check, which might be the only problem.

Worst case, fetch an unmodified UnZip 6.0 kit, build that, and use
it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/files/UnZip%206.x%20%28latest%29/UnZip%206.0/

Of course, it's also possible that your archive is corrupt.
Dan Cross
2021-08-08 20:24:15 UTC
Post by Steven Schweda
[...]
Thanks; I pulled down the version of UnZip you mentioned, built
it, and ran it but got (largely) the same errors. It DID produce
a 128KiB output file, but that seems wrong.

I'll keep poking, but at this point, it looks like I got a bad
archive from HP a few years back. :-(

- Dan C.