Internal structure of Backup save sets
Add Reply
Lee Gleason
2020-09-22 21:49:47 UTC
Was the internal structure of VMS Backup save sets on disk & tape
ever documented? I though it was in a Backup manual appendix at one
time, but can't find it in the manuals I have.

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
***@comcast.net
Stephen Hoffman
2020-09-22 22:33:08 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
Was the internal structure of VMS Backup save sets on disk & tape
ever documented? I though it was in a Backup manual appendix at one
time, but can't find it in the manuals I have.
I don't recall documentation published for that, but it's certainly possible.
The header files containing the data structure descriptions are
included with OpenVMS, though they're in a weird place; in
SYS$EXAMPLES, IIRC.
The headers will probably give you some search targets for finding more
materials, too.
The vmsbackup tool—I have a copy of that tool around—deals with most of
the headers.
The BACKUP /ANALYZE qualifer might be interesting here, too.
2020-09-22 23:22:16 UTC
  Was the internal structure of VMS Backup save sets on disk & tape
ever documented? I though it was in a Backup manual appendix at one
time, but can't find it in the manuals I have.
I do not remember ever seeing such.

Best documentation may the vmsbackup C code floating around
in various versions.

http://www.vms2linux.de/vmsbackup.html

https://github.com/kkaempf/vmsbackup

etc.

Arne
Lee Gleason
2020-09-24 02:42:51 UTC
On 9/22/2020 4:49 PM, Lee Gleason wrote:

OK, thanks all for the info.
Post by Lee Gleason
--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR