OT: Searching for ancestors from Germany
Tad Winters
2020-12-13 18:27:26 UTC
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
Thank you!
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-12-13 18:53:00 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
Thank you!
I had an uncle who was a hobby geneologist and wrote a book on his
family history. I'm not that interested myself, but I've heard of these
sites:

ancestry.de
myheritage.de
Bill Gunshannon
2020-12-13 19:37:15 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
Thank you!
I had an uncle who was a hobby geneologist and wrote a book on his
family history. I'm not that interested myself, but I've heard of these
ancestry.de
myheritage.de
I would be very cautious about having anything to do with Ancestry.
The American branch has no problem giving/selling/making available
personal information, including DNA that one might not want treated
so cavalierly.

2020-12-15 13:43:35 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
Thank you!
I had an uncle who was a hobby geneologist and wrote a book on his
family history. I'm not that interested myself, but I've heard of these
ancestry.de
myheritage.de
I would be very cautious about having anything to do with Ancestry.
The American branch has no problem giving/selling/making available
personal information, including DNA that one might not want treated
so cavalierly.
Agreed! My eldest son and his wife submitted DNA to "23 and Me" and it's
surprising home much information they were able to compile on him, and his
lineage and relatives I was able to verify what "23 and Me" compiled with
the info in the family tree I possess.

FWIW, I have a family tree researched and compiled by a relative about 30
years ago. I goes back nearly 20 generations and much of that information
was recorded in an OLD German family bible. Its pages were so old and so
frail that pages crumbled when handled. The rest was researched by myriad
travels to Germany. It's somewhat easier when the surname isn't something
common like 'Smith' or 'Jones' too.

2020-12-13 19:18:41 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
A list of German-related genealogy-related mailing lists and newsgroups
from a few years ago, and the mailing lists likely also offer archives,
and Google Groups prolly has newsgroup archives.
http://genealoger.com/german/ger_genealogy_newsgroups.htm

Options for learning some German:
https://learngerman.dw.com/en/overview
etc.

For translations:
https://www.deepl.com/translator

Other resources:
https://www.archives.gov/research/immigration/passenger-arrival.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Germany#German_Confederation

Given your location in the Portland Oregon area, check with these folks:
https://www.germanamerican.org
https://oregongs.org

Etc.

Above largely based on some quick DDG searches.
Michael Moroney
2020-12-13 22:22:08 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
There is the newsgroup soc.genealogy.german, but it is almost, but not
completely dead, with just a handful of non-spam posts in the last few
months. The heritage/genealogy companies usually have decent forums which
are frequently specific to surnames. You may want to search ancestry.com
in the public library to see if they have surname-specific discussions
or use a free trial to start a small tree with the ancestors you are interested
in and see if they find info. If you do this use a couple which you know the
most about (names, dates of birth/death) so they find the right people.
Scott Dorsey
2020-12-13 22:40:01 UTC
Post by Tad Winters
Sorry to post off-topic, but I'm sure there are people from Germany who
frequent this group. I'm using MyHeritage to work on my family tree,
but it's not giving me anything about relatives from Germany.
Immigration to the US was in 1866, and I speak nothing but English.
Someone here may be able to point me at a group I could contact to make
some progress.
1866 was a very interesting year because at the beginning of 1866 there was
no Germany, and at the end of 1866 there was a Germany. However, the Germany
of 1866 had very different borders than the Germany of today.

There are a lot of people who came to this country from Germany, like August
Luchow, to discover that where they came from stopped being Germany at some
point later.

So the first key is to track down the Ellis Island records and figure out
exactly where they came from. Then you know where to write to in order to
see if they have any local records.

And do be aware that records in many places in Germany are spotty owing
to three and a half major wars since that time. (Not counting the 1866 one.)
2020-12-14 00:49:05 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
1866 was a very interesting year because at the beginning of 1866 there was
no Germany, and at the end of 1866 there was a Germany. However, the Germany
of 1866 had very different borders than the Germany of today.
North German Confederation / Norddeutscher Bund is from 1867.

And the Germany empire was created January 1st 1871.