Brother MFC-L3750CDW
2021-04-16 18:56:47 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option) and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.

I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-16 19:06:16 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option)
I bought my house from a hardware guy and it has really nice wiring!
and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.
I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
Any suggestions?

I've never used a directly connected printer, always TCPIP printers.
However, presumably these must contain an IP address, and I don't have
any residual queues with an IP address to serve as a model, only
PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB but presumably I want another symbiont.
Joukj
2021-04-19 09:58:45 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option)
I bought my house from a hardware guy and it has really nice wiring!
and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.
I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
Any suggestions?
I've never used a directly connected printer, always TCPIP printers.
However, presumably these must contain an IP address, and I don't have
any residual queues with an IP address to serve as a model, only
PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB but presumably I want another symbiont.
My queue on which I do LPD looks like:

$ show que *remps*/full
Server queue REMPS, idle, on BOLERO::, mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,FLAG,FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase
/OWNER=[SYSTEM]
/PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /RETAIN=ERROR

I print with commands like:

PRINT/NOTI/QUE=REMPS/PAR=(HOST=131.180.116.59,"pri=AUTO")
(change IP-adress for the one defined on your printer. The pri parameter
is the queue defined on your printer.)

Jouk
Chris Townley
2021-04-19 10:50:59 UTC
Post by Joukj
[...]
That sounds like hard work. Can you not use default forms so you can
just print - maybe using a form if needed

2021-04-19 11:47:30 UTC
Post by Joukj
[...]
Chris
I do not understand why you include the IP address in the print command.
For LPD_SMB queues, we have an entry in the "printcap" file:

$ d TCPIP$LPD_ROOT:[000000]TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT

Directory TCPIP$LPD_ROOT:[000000]

TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT;5 22/49 9-FEB-2014 22:00:37.69

Total of 1 file, 22/49 blocks.
$

An example queue (stopped since it isn't used today):

$ sh que/fu A82_LASER
Server queue A82_LASER, stopped, on xxxx::, mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,FORM=DEFAULT) /OWNER=[SYSTEM]
/PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /RETAIN=ERROR
$

And in the TCPIP$PRINTCAP.DAT file:

#A82_LASER|a82_laser:\
# :lf=/TCPIP$LPD_ROOT/000000/A82_LASER.LOG:\
# :lp=A82_LASER:\
# :rm=a82_laser:\
# :rp=pr5:\
# :sd=/TCPIP$LPD_ROOT/A82_LASER:
#

":rm" could point to an IP address also but here it was
decided to manage them in the local hosts table in TCPIP.

All has been commented out since all printout goes through DCPS now.
Joukj
2021-04-20 05:56:40 UTC
Post by Joukj
[...]
Simple answer: I use the same queue for different printers with
different IP-addresses.

As always : there are many ways to Rome (as they say in the Netherlands)
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-19 17:04:57 UTC
Post by Joukj
Any suggestions?
I've never used a directly connected printer, always TCPIP printers.
However, presumably these must contain an IP address, and I don't have
any residual queues with an IP address to serve as a model, only
PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB but presumably I want another symbiont.
$ show que *remps*/full
Server queue REMPS, idle, on BOLERO::, mounted form DEFAULT
/BASE_PRIORITY=4 /DEFAULT=(FEED,FLAG,FORM=DEFAULT) Lowercase
/OWNER=[SYSTEM]
/PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB /PROTECTION=(S:M,O:D,G:R,W:S) /RETAIN=ERROR
PRINT/NOTI/QUE=REMPS/PAR=(HOST=131.180.116.59,"pri=AUTO")
(change IP-adress for the one defined on your printer. The pri parameter
is the queue defined on your printer.)
Thanks to comments here, it is now working fine. I've also given it a
fixed IP address.

The only remaining question is why, although it can print text and
PostScript files from VMS, and text and PDF (and other) files via
AirPrint, it can't print PDF from VMS. Trying to do so prints out a
page saying that direct printing of PDF is not supported, so it
obviously knows that it got a PDF file.
Simon Clubley
2021-04-19 17:52:01 UTC
The only remaining question is why, although it can print text and
PostScript files from VMS, and text and PDF (and other) files via
AirPrint, it can't print PDF from VMS. Trying to do so prints out a
page saying that direct printing of PDF is not supported, so it
obviously knows that it got a PDF file.
Is the PDF getting silently converted by the operating system to
Postscript or another format on the machines it does work on ?

2021-04-19 19:52:12 UTC
The only remaining question is why, although it can print text and
PostScript files from VMS, and text and PDF (and other) files via
AirPrint, it can't print PDF from VMS. Trying to do so prints out a
page saying that direct printing of PDF is not supported, so it
obviously knows that it got a PDF file.
Is the PDF getting silently converted by the operating system to
Postscript or another format on the machines it does work on ?
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec, and the message
indicates that it knows it has received a PDF file from VMS, a file
which it knows how to print (otherwise why would the specs say that it
supports PDF), but can't print it if it comes via the VMS print queue
(but can via AirPrint). The much simpler printer which we used to use
could also print PDF, and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support
PostScript. I somehow doubt that an iPAd converts a PDF file to
PostScript.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-04-19 20:31:19 UTC
The only remaining question is why, although it can print text and
PostScript files from VMS, and text and PDF (and other) files via
AirPrint, it can't print PDF from VMS. Trying to do so prints out a
page saying that direct printing of PDF is not supported, so it
obviously knows that it got a PDF file.
Is the PDF getting silently converted by the operating system to
Postscript or another format on the machines it does work on ?
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec,
That can silently be "...when used with a suported OS/driver."
and the message
indicates that it knows it has received a PDF file from VMS, a file
which it knows how to print (otherwise why would the specs say that it
supports PDF)...
Because it does when used from a supported OS with s supported driver.
Why not? I'm sure that the iPad has some printer driver.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-19 20:37:08 UTC
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec,
That can silently be "...when used with a suported OS/driver."
Maybe. But does it really mean that? Suppose I have a program, a
driver, which can convert any image format into PostScript. Would I
expect a printer to say that it supports all of those formats (silently
implying that my program has to convert them to something the printer
natively understands first)? With the appropriate driver, any printer
can print any format, so why mention it in the specs at all.
Dave Froble
2021-04-19 23:47:19 UTC
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec,
That can silently be "...when used with a suported OS/driver."
Maybe. But does it really mean that? Suppose I have a program, a
driver, which can convert any image format into PostScript. Would I
expect a printer to say that it supports all of those formats (silently
implying that my program has to convert them to something the printer
natively understands first)? With the appropriate driver, any printer
can print any format, so why mention it in the specs at all.
In the past I've had excellent results when calling Brother technical
support. This really sounds like a question for them, rather than
asking in c.o.v.
Phil Howell
2021-04-20 03:08:42 UTC
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec,
That can silently be "...when used with a suported OS/driver."
Maybe. But does it really mean that? Suppose I have a program, a
driver, which can convert any image format into PostScript. Would I
expect a printer to say that it supports all of those formats (silently
implying that my program has to convert them to something the printer
natively understands first)? With the appropriate driver, any printer
can print any format, so why mention it in the specs at all.
You should install the Brother iprint&scan app on your iPad
You could also "share" your printer from a Mac and then print to it
Macip:631/printers/printername
where Macip is your Mac host name or IP address
You may also have to use Apple ""bonjour" software depending on your macros version
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-20 04:58:22 UTC
Post by Phil Howell
You should install the Brother iprint&scan app on your iPad
I've installed it but never used it; the Apple devices can print fine to
the printer without it.
Post by Phil Howell
You could also "share" your printer from a Mac and then print to it
Macip:631/printers/printername
where Macip is your Mac host name or IP address
You may also have to use Apple ""bonjour" software depending on your macros version
It doesn't look like any of this is necessary, since I can print from
VMS directly (except for PDF) and everything from Apple devices.
Dennis Boone
2021-04-20 05:32:35 UTC
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec, and the message
indicates that it knows it has received a PDF file from VMS, a file
which it knows how to print (otherwise why would the specs say that it
supports PDF), but can't print it if it comes via the VMS print queue
(but can via AirPrint). The much simpler printer which we used to use
could also print PDF, and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support
PostScript. I somehow doubt that an iPAd converts a PDF file to
PostScript.
I don't see where https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl3750cdw says
anything about PDF.

It's very common these days for manufacturers to advertise all features
available to any combination of mfg-provided (and -supported) software
and hardware, so the idea that the driver might be converting PDF to
something natively supported on the printer is unsurprising.

In the 1990s, the PDF language was derived from PostScript,
specifically, a set of PostScript "macros" used by one of the other
Adobe products. That means it'd be trivial to add support for detecting
PDF files without actually being able to print them.

De
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-20 06:30:46 UTC
Post by Dennis Boone
Possible; I don't know what happens behind the scenes. However, the
printer officially supports PDF according to the spec, and the message
indicates that it knows it has received a PDF file from VMS, a file
which it knows how to print (otherwise why would the specs say that it
supports PDF), but can't print it if it comes via the VMS print queue
(but can via AirPrint). The much simpler printer which we used to use
could also print PDF, and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support
PostScript. I somehow doubt that an iPAd converts a PDF file to
PostScript.
I don't see where https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl3750cdw says
anything about PDF.
I didn't find anything there either after a quick search. Since I live
in Germany, I looked at the German website. There, one can read

Emulationen PCL6, BR-Script3, PDF Version 1.7, XPS Version 1.0

and at another location

PCL6, BR0SCript3 (PostScript®3(TM) Emulation), PDF 1.0, XPS 1.0
Post by Dennis Boone
It's very common these days for manufacturers to advertise all features
available to any combination of mfg-provided (and -supported) software
and hardware, so the idea that the driver might be converting PDF to
something natively supported on the printer is unsurprising.
I would say that that is misleading at best. It will print anything if
something external to the printer can convert it to something which the
printer understands. I suppose it makes sense if Brother as a company
supports the corresponding drivers on various platforms (of which VMS is
not one).
Post by Dennis Boone
In the 1990s, the PDF language was derived from PostScript,
specifically, a set of PostScript "macros" used by one of the other
Adobe products. That means it'd be trivial to add support for detecting
PDF files without actually being able to print them.
Assuming that any necessary conversion has to happen outside the
printer, not within it.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
You do not rememeber the links? Most prefer to read the source...
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-20 07:25:54 UTC
Post by Dennis Boone
[...]
https://www.brother.de/drucker/mfc-l3750cdw then select the
"Spezifikationen" tab. Also, under "Downloads", get the PDF file
"Datenblatt MCF-L3750CDW (0,31 MB PDF)". The direct link to the latter
seems to be
https://www.brother.eu/-/media/product-downloads/devices/printers/mcf/mfcl3750cdw/de/mfcl3750cdw-datenblatt.pdf
Simon Clubley
2021-04-20 17:59:11 UTC
I didn't find anything there either after a quick search. Since I live
in Germany, I looked at the German website. There, one can read
Emulationen PCL6, BR-Script3, PDF Version 1.7, XPS Version 1.0
and at another location
PCL6, BR0SCript3 (PostScript®3(TM) Emulation), PDF 1.0, XPS 1.0
Which one is correct ?

PDF version 1.0 or PDF version 1.7 ?

What is the PDF version of the document you are trying to print ?

Also, are there any firmware updates available for the printer that
add new PDF printing functionality ?

2021-04-20 20:37:13 UTC
Emulationen PCL6, BR-Script3, PDF Version 1.7, XPS Version 1.0
and at another location
PCL6, BR0SCript3 (PostScript®3(TM) Emulation), PDF 1.0, XPS 1.0
Which one is correct ?
PDF version 1.0 or PDF version 1.7 ?
No idea; the specs are inconsistent.
Post by Simon Clubley
What is the PDF version of the document you are trying to print ?
Very old ghostscript producing PDF from PostScript, so probably 1.0.
I haven't tried anything newer from VMS. It prints newfangled stuff
otherwise, though.
Haven't checked.
Joukj
2021-04-20 06:07:09 UTC
Post by Joukj
[...]
Just i wild guess: did you "play" with the /passall qualifier on the
print command?

You could also try to convert the PDF to PostScript first (i.e. using
Ghostscript) and then sending it to printer. (you never know)

Jouk
Dave Froble
2021-04-16 19:52:57 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option) and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.
I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
$ Init /queue -
/start -
/noblock -
/schedule=nosize -
/protection=(W:WE) -
/default=(noburst,nofeed,noflag,notrailer,form=DFE) -
/no_initial_ff -
/processor=TCPIP$TELNETSYM -
/on="BROTHER_IP:9100" -
LASER

Note, I forget where I got "BROTHER_IP:9100"

Probably made it up.
2021-04-16 20:24:29 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option) and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.
I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
$ Init /queue -
/start -
/noblock -
/schedule=nosize -
/protection=(W:WE) -
/default=(noburst,nofeed,noflag,notrailer,form=DFE) -
/no_initial_ff -
/processor=TCPIP$TELNETSYM -
/on="BROTHER_IP:9100" -
LASER
Thanks!

I left out form=DFE since I got "%JBC-E-NOSUCHFORM, no such form" from
that. The name of the queue is arbitrary, of course (it is actually an
LED printer).
Post by Dave Froble
Note, I forget where I got "BROTHER_IP:9100"
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers. I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.

Text and PostScript files work fine from VMS. Trying to print a PDF
file results in a page saying that directly printing PDF files is not
supported (which does show that the printer recognizes it as a PDF
file). This is not a big deal, for many reasons:

o Most PDF files I have on VMS are my own which were created from
PostScript files with ghostview, so I can just print the
PostScript file.

o In other cases, I can use ghostscript to convert the PDF file to
PostScript and print that. (That could be streamlined via a
procedure, of course.)

o I can copy the PDF file to a location where I can access it from
the iPad via HTTP and print it that way.

Yes, the latst will always work, but is an extra step. If I need to
script things, then that is also easier in DCL.

All the same, since the printer does print PDF files, and since it does
recognize a PDF file sent via the VMS print queue as a PDF file, I'm
wondering whether there is some way to do it after all.

The (modified version of the) command above defaults to the current
node. I can actually print from other nodes (of course, the queue
database is on a non-system disk mounted by all nodes), but presumably
not if the node in question is down. Presumably I should set up similar
queues on all the nodes and combine them into a generic queue.
Bill Gunshannon
2021-04-16 22:53:29 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers. I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Exempt an address from your DHCP Server and then put a fixed address
in the printer. If this is a typical home router that will likely
be easier to setup than trying to force it to assign the same address
every time.

2021-04-17 06:59:44 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers. I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Exempt an address from your DHCP Server and then put a fixed address
in the printer. If this is a typical home router that will likely
be easier to setup than trying to force it to assign the same address
every time.
Makes sense. I haven't actually looked at the printer configuration. I
can probably connect to it via http.

My VMS systems also have fixed IP addresses.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-04-17 09:03:38 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers. I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Exempt an address from your DHCP Server and then put a fixed address
in the printer. If this is a typical home router that will likely
be easier to setup than trying to force it to assign the same address
every time.
Makes sense. I haven't actually looked at the printer configuration. I
can probably connect to it via http.
My VMS systems also have fixed IP addresses.
Most home routers has a DHCP range in the high address range, like
starting at x.x.x.64 or x.x.x.128. Anything under that can be used
for things that you'd like to give fixed addresses. There is nothing
you need to do in the router. Just set fixed adresses in everything.
VMS boxes, NAS systems, printers, whatever...
Chris Townley
2021-04-17 09:47:36 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers.  I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Exempt an address from your DHCP Server and then put a fixed address
in the printer.  If this is a typical home router that will likely
be easier to setup than trying to force it to assign the same address
every time.
Makes sense.  I haven't actually looked at the printer configuration.  I
can probably connect to it via http.
My VMS systems also have fixed IP addresses.
Most home routers has a DHCP range in the high address range, like
starting at x.x.x.64 or x.x.x.128. Anything under that can be used
for things that you'd like to give fixed addresses. There is nothing
you need to do in the router. Just set fixed adresses in everything.
VMS boxes, NAS systems, printers, whatever...
Many also have the whole range set to DHCP, so to use fixed IP addresses
you need to either reserve the addresses, or reduce the range

2021-04-17 10:32:38 UTC
[...]
You can of course set it like that as a user, but I have yet to see any
home-router that has that as the factory default setting. I would not
say that it is very common.

And anyway, reducing the range is a one time change, after that you can
set up as many fixed address items as you like without touching the router.
Up to the range that was removed from use by DHCP, of course...
Arne Vajhøj
2021-04-16 22:56:10 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers.
9100 is raw print

515 is LPD
I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Most likely you can configure the printer for a fixed IP
address instead of DDHCP.

2021-04-16 23:13:28 UTC
9100 seems to be a standard port for printers.
9100 is raw print
515 is LPD
                                              I'll see if I can get
the DSL router to always give it the same DHCP address.
Most likely you can configure the printer for a fixed IP
address instead of DDHCP.
Arne
I have never had any problem assigning a fixed IP address with a series
of 'domestic' routers. Much better way to do it

Chris
Zane H. Healy
2021-04-23 23:05:20 UTC
Arrived today, unpacked it, plugged it into the network (it does WiFi,
and I have WiFi in the house, but I prefer to use cables if that is an
option) and power, and the iPad and MacBook recognized it right away and
printed as usual.
I haven't set up a print queue on VMS in more than 20 years; time to
read up!
$ Init /queue -
/start -
/noblock -
/schedule=nosize -
/protection=(W:WE) -
/default=(noburst,nofeed,noflag,notrailer,form=DFE) -
/no_initial_ff -
/processor=TCPIP$TELNETSYM -
/on="BROTHER_IP:9100" -
LASER
Note, I forget where I got "BROTHER_IP:9100"
Thanks Dave! Like Phillip I had to remove the "form=DFE", and I replaced
BROTHER_IP with the IP address of my HP LaserJet Pro M404dn, but I'm able
to print from OpenVMS 7.3/VAX. I'll need to do some testing, and set this
up on Alpha, but I'm now close to being able to retire my ancient HP
LaserJet 5MP that's having issues.

Now to figure out Duplex Printing. As that doesn't work yet.

Thanks,
Zane
Scott Dorsey
2021-04-24 01:51:52 UTC
Post by Zane H. Healy
Thanks Dave! Like Phillip I had to remove the "form=DFE", and I replaced
BROTHER_IP with the IP address of my HP LaserJet Pro M404dn, but I'm able
to print from OpenVMS 7.3/VAX. I'll need to do some testing, and set this
up on Alpha, but I'm now close to being able to retire my ancient HP
LaserJet 5MP that's having issues.
What's wrong with your 5MP? I have spare parts for those things up the
wazoo, they are easy to work on and generally very reliable. The hardest
thing to deal with is finding cartridges with good doctor blades in them
still.
Zane H. Healy
2021-04-28 13:39:43 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Zane H. Healy
Thanks Dave! Like Phillip I had to remove the "form=DFE", and I replaced
BROTHER_IP with the IP address of my HP LaserJet Pro M404dn, but I'm able
to print from OpenVMS 7.3/VAX. I'll need to do some testing, and set this
up on Alpha, but I'm now close to being able to retire my ancient HP
LaserJet 5MP that's having issues.
What's wrong with your 5MP? I have spare parts for those things up the
wazoo, they are easy to work on and generally very reliable. The hardest
thing to deal with is finding cartridges with good doctor blades in them
still.
--scott
I could potentially fix it, but I really wanted access to a more modern
printer, so I bought the M404dn, which offers Duplex printing, and is
noticably faster. Unfortunately I don't expect it to be the faithful
companion that the 5MP has been for 25 years. I have a lightly used 5P in
the garage that I was given years ago, that could very likely donate some
parts (IIRC, the hardware itself is the same).

The plastic gave out on the top "latch", so it's been held closed for a few
years now with a CD jewel case and a Commodore 64 cartridge shell wedged
between it and the shelf above. It's also giving dirty prints, a problem I
haven't been able to solve.

At this point, I have everything I need to print from working with the
M404dn, I just need some time to see if I can figure out duplex printing.

Zane
Dennis Boone
2021-04-24 03:12:35 UTC
Post by Zane H. Healy
Now to figure out Duplex Printing. As that doesn't work yet.
At least some of the Brother printers support PJL, which would
probably make it fairly easy to do duplex.

De
Mark Berryman
2021-04-24 04:53:39 UTC
Post by Zane H. Healy
[...]
This setup is unlikely to give you control over duplex printing other
than by printing a postscript file that has duplex commands built in.
However, since this printer supports PCL, you could try this:

Pick any text file to test with and insert the following escape sequence
at the very beginning of the file:
<ESC>&l1S

(That's escape, ampersand, lowercase L, one, capital S)

Then print the file through your queue. That escape sequence is the PCL
command to print duplex in portrait mode. Perhaps it will work.

I don't remember how far back DCPS goes but, if it is available to you
it would be a better choice than this setup. It would definitely give
you control over duplex settings.

Mark Berryman
Zane H. Healy
2021-05-03 01:54:35 UTC
Post by Mark Berryman
I don't remember how far back DCPS goes but, if it is available to you
it would be a better choice than this setup. It would definitely give
you control over duplex settings.
I finally was able to figure out why I've not been able to get DCPS working.
It seems that the "HP LaserJet Pro M404dn" doesn't like IP_RawTCP, which
worked just fine with old "HP LaserJet 5MP" and the JetDirect box. Once I
switched that to IP_LPD in the DCPS config it started working.

Duplex printing now works, and I spent some time relearning some other
features.

Thanks,
Zane
Paul Anderson
2021-05-05 16:25:05 UTC
Post by Zane H. Healy
I finally was able to figure out why I've not been able to get DCPS working.
It seems that the "HP LaserJet Pro M404dn" doesn't like IP_RawTCP, which
worked just fine with old "HP LaserJet 5MP" and the JetDirect box. Once I
switched that to IP_LPD in the DCPS config it started working.
Duplex printing now works, and I spent some time relearning some other
features.
As time goes on, fewer and fewer printers adhere to the Adobe PostScript
standard of sending a ^D character to the host when a print job is done.
This is why using DCPS with IP_RawTCP no longer works on many printers.

A RawTCP connection on port 9100 is bi-directional, so is more robust.
But if a printer is ill-behaved, the uni-directional LPD is the
solution, as you have found.

Paul
Chris Townley
2021-05-05 16:34:28 UTC
Post by Paul Anderson
Post by Zane H. Healy
I finally was able to figure out why I've not been able to get DCPS working.
It seems that the "HP LaserJet Pro M404dn" doesn't like IP_RawTCP, which
worked just fine with old "HP LaserJet 5MP" and the JetDirect box.
Once I
switched that to IP_LPD in the DCPS config it started working.
Duplex printing now works, and I spent some time relearning some other
features.
As time goes on, fewer and fewer printers adhere to the Adobe PostScript
standard of sending a ^D character to the host when a print job is done.
This is why using DCPS with IP_RawTCP no longer works on many printers.
A RawTCP connection on port 9100 is bi-directional, so is more robust.
But if a printer is ill-behaved, the uni-directional LPD is the
solution, as you have found.
Paul
Interestingly my printer doesn't offer application/vnd.hp-PCL when
served through a Pi4, nor any mention of PCL, and just returns
unsupported format if I try, Is there a way I can force it, or use
another that includes PCL?