VSI CE License PAKs
2021-07-16 14:01:00 UTC
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022

Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!

Thanks VSI
Joukj
2021-07-16 14:20:49 UTC
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022
Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!
Thanks VSI
Metoo

Much more user-friendly than HP!!

Thanks.
Chris Townley
2021-07-16 17:03:20 UTC
Post by Joukj
Post by Chris Townley
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022
Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!
Thanks VSI
Metoo
Much more user-friendly than HP!!
I get really suspicious when I get unsolicited email that says click here. The link in the email
some rs6.net site that redirects to vmssoftware.com (http: URL, so you get redirected a second
time).
The Alpha version I received is a type A license with 150 units. Is that per host or the aggregate
units available for the cluster (a DS10 is 15 units, Alphaserver 400 is 12).
I believe that is per node
2021-07-16 15:44:23 UTC
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022
Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!
Something on my list of things to do after the summer holidays. For
what architecture? What is included? Essentially similar to the
hobbyist license?
Chris Townley
2021-07-16 16:01:09 UTC
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022
Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!
Something on my list of things to do after the summer holidays. For
what architecture? What is included? Essentially similar to the
hobbyist license?
This is their hobbyist offering.

You get:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022

I am on Alpha (not clustered) - here FreeAXP
The Integrity paks are similar.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-07-16 18:31:26 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Just received an e-mail with a link to download new CE license PAKs -
valid until 22-Sep-2022
Nice to see them circulating them in good time, and without hassle!
Something on my list of things to do after the summer holidays. For
what architecture? What is included? Essentially similar to the
hobbyist license?
This is their hobbyist offering.
------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022
I am on Alpha (not clustered) - here FreeAXP
The Integrity paks are similar.
I got mine this morning, too.
It's interesting because the original PAKS sent out last July had 75/1050
Units for A/H availability.  People complained that 75 wasn't enough some
of the larger Alphas and VSI issued new PAKS in September with 0/0 units.
This time they retreated from the unlimited Units and the Alpha PAKs have
units of 150/1050.  The Integrity originally had Units=2, then changed to 0
and this time they are still 0.
A few people might have a problem using the Alpha PAKS with the 150 Unit
limit (How much does a 4-cpu AS4100 need?), but I imagine there won't be
that many.
Or maybe a more relevant question, how many hobbyist runs a 4-cpu AS4100?

If you are a hobbyist, maybe you should not complain that you cannot
run the largets models...
John H. Reinhardt
2021-07-16 19:18:43 UTC
Or maybe a more relevant question, how many hobbyist runs a 4-cpu AS4100?
If you are a hobbyist, maybe you should not complain that you cannot
run the largets models...
Sure. Toss that AS4100/ES40/ES45/ES47/ESxx in the skip. After all you're only a Hobbyist. You don't need it.

Kind of a limited view.
John H. Reinhardt
Martin Vorländer
2021-07-17 03:58:00 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
Or maybe a more relevant question, how many hobbyist runs a 4-cpu AS4100?
If you are a hobbyist, maybe you should not complain that you cannot
run the largets models...
Sure. Toss that AS4100/ES40/ES45/ES47/ESxx in the skip. After all you're only a Hobbyist. You don't need it.
Kind of a limited view.
How about AXPbox emulator? It is ES40 emulator.
If so, I will not able use AXPbox emulator with that new PAKs.
Just fired up VMS 8.3 on my AXPbox. It reports 50 units for availabilty A
licenses.

cu
Martin
Timothy Stark
2021-07-17 12:14:19 UTC
Ok, I need to know how many units for each processor. Thanks.

Martin
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-07-16 20:59:05 UTC
------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022
I'm no expert on the matter, but I suspect that 150 units should be
enough for most or all hobbyists.

Does one need a separate license for each system in a cluster (i.e.
/INCLUDE) or not? The old hobbyist licenses were sometimes per machine,
sometimes not.
Martin Vorländer
2021-07-17 05:06:28 UTC
------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022
I'm no expert on the matter, but I suspect that 150 units should be
enough for most or all hobbyists.
Does one need a separate license for each system in a cluster (i.e.
/INCLUDE) or not? The old hobbyist licenses were sometimes per machine,
sometimes not.
The ALPHA-SYSTEM is _not_ a NO_SHARE license, so I think it is good
for all cluster nodes as long as the sum doesn't exceed 150 units.

cu
Martin
David Jones
2021-07-17 15:56:43 UTC
Post by Martin Vorländer
------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating -----
Product Producer Units Avail Active Termination
ALPHA-LP VSI 1050 H 0 22-SEP-2022
ALPHA-SYSTEM VSI 150 A 0 22-SEP-2022
I'm no expert on the matter, but I suspect that 150 units should be
enough for most or all hobbyists.
Does one need a separate license for each system in a cluster (i.e.
/INCLUDE) or not? The old hobbyist licenses were sometimes per machine,
sometimes not.
The ALPHA-SYSTEM is _not_ a NO_SHARE license, so I think it is good
for all cluster nodes as long as the sum doesn't exceed 150 units.
cu
Martin
I tested in my cluster, and the units are pooled. Loading ALPHA-SYSTEM on an HP
OpenVMS system still allocates the units even if nothing requires them.

A DS20 is 75 units, so 2 of those would max out a hobbyist cluster.