DS10 hangs during boot from IDE cd drive
Galen
2021-04-24 01:48:35 UTC
My DS10 hangs shortly after the system banner when booting from CD.—both
from one I just burned on it, and from a Montagnards Software VMS 8.3
hobbyist disk I successfully used to upgrade it a couple of years ago. Even
with a SYSBOOT>set /start OPA0: it never gets to a prompt.

The drive is over 10 years old, one Dave of Islandco let me have for a
bargain when I bought another like it for my job. Though lightly used, it
may have died.

But I had the system apart a few days before, installing a 10K rpm SCSI
drive and I wonder if it’s pulling down the PS (itself just a year old, one
of Islandco’s new replacement models). Easy to check, except that getting
to the SCSI drive is tricky due to fragile SCSI cable and SCA adapter
crowding things.

I’ll post again in a few days after trying it. But if anyone has
Volker Halle
2021-04-24 06:58:02 UTC
Galen,

you might want to try a debug boot and capture the console output (ideally with a laptop and a terminal emulator, connected with the serial cable to OPA0:).
B -fl 0,30000 dqa0
There will be lots of output, most interesting data will be just before the boot 'hangs'.

Volker.
Galen
2021-04-25 00:32:50 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
you might want to try a debug boot and capture the console output (ideally with a laptop and a terminal emulator, connected with the serial cable to OPA0:).
B -fl 0,30000 dqa0
There will be lots of output, most interesting data will be just before the boot 'hangs'.
Here are the last dozen or so lines:

%EXECINIT-I-TMVPTES, setting TMV up with its PTEs
%EXECINIT-I-SVAPTE, setting up EXE$GL_SVAPTE
%EXECINIT-I-BLD_LOCKID, building the lock id table
%EXECINIT-I-BLD_RESHASH, building the resource hash table
%EXECINIT-I-RESMEMALC, performing reserved memory allocation
%EXECINIT-I-CLRWARM, clearing warm-start flag
%EXECINIT-I-CLRCOLD, clearing cold-start flag
%EXECINIT-I-ACTIVESET, joining ACTIVE set
%EXECINIT-S-CIAO, transferring to the scheduler
%SWAPPER-I-SHUFFLE, executing SWAPPER initialization code
%SWAPPER-I-SYSDISK, checking status of system disk

After that, nothing happens. The CD active light is off.
abrsvc
2021-04-25 03:04:14 UTC
Post by Galen
Post by Volker Halle
[...]
Where it stops suggests that there is a problem with the system disk or subsystem. You note in your original post that there is a questionable scsi cable. Which one? I have may spare internal cables and I'd be willing to send you one if needed.

Dan
Galen
2021-04-25 15:49:03 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Where it stops suggests that there is a problem with the system disk or
subsystem. You note in
your original post that there is a questionable scsi cable. Which one?
I have may spare internal
cables and I'd be willing to send you one if needed.
Dan
Dan,

A spare SCSI cable would be great to have, especially if yours are any
sturdier than my current Islandco 3X-BN51A-SE and/or have 80 pin
connectors. (My hard drive has an 80 pin SCA connector but my cable has the
68 pin connector, and the adapter protrudes a ways behind the drive.) My
cable is a loose bundle of tiny individual wires. Every time I need
internal access into the system I have to treat that cable very gently.

So if you can spare a cable with either kind of connector for the drive (80
pin or 68 pin), I’d be happy to have it in case the current cable breaks.

But that cable is working fine for now. My SCSI hard drive is the only SCSI
drive in the system, and the system boots and runs just fine from it. But
the 80 to 68 adapter on the back of drive takes up a lot of room behind the
drive.

The problem I have is booting from the IDE CD drive for the upgrade, DQA0
(with no DQA1). The CD drive works okay for normal reading and CD burning,
and used to be bootable, but now hangs as I’ve described earlier.

(I can also boot okay from another hard drive DQB0. )
Galen
2021-04-25 16:01:48 UTC
Since for the time being I can’t boot my DS10 from its CD drive, I though
of MOP or LAD booting from an external [emulated] VMS system. But it’s
been years since I did either of those with a real server, let alone an
emulated one.

Can someone save me some time here? (Yes, it will work and here’s how, or
no, don’t waste you time trying.)
Chris Townley
2021-04-25 16:04:34 UTC
Post by Galen
Post by abrsvc
[...]
Could you not temporarily add another drive, and with VMS up and running
image backup the CD onto that HD, and then boot from it to upgrade?

Chris
Galen
2021-04-25 22:06:24 UTC
Could you not temporarily add another drive, and with VMS up and running
image backup the CD onto that HD, and then boot from it to upgrade?
Chris
Thanks for reminding me, Chris, that I have a spare IDE drive! I copied the installation media there and have the 8.4-2L1 upgrade running right now.

Dave, I'm still interested in a spare SCSI cable.

Apart from that, this topic can be considered closed.