Anyone using Xerox B120 printer with DCPS?
2021-09-01 14:22:23 UTC
Hi.

A "Xerox Phaser 3250" (I think it was) printer was replaced with
a new "Xerox B120" printer some time ago. That printer begun to
print a number of PS source code on like 40 pages before the
actual page the user expected is printed.

The queue is a DCPS queue using IP_LPD protocol.

Seems to be some issue to get the printer to identify the
PS printout and to auomatically change the emulation...

We could switch to a plain telnetsym or LPD queue, but we
would like to keep all printouts hrough DCPS.

I do not think I'm that lucky that there is someone
else using this specific printer, am I? :-)

Regards, Jan-Erik.
Paul Anderson
2021-09-01 15:23:50 UTC
A "Xerox Phaser 3250" (I think it was) printer was replaced with
a new "Xerox B120" printer some time ago. That printer begun to
print a number of PS source code on like 40 pages before the
actual page the user expected is printed.
Try printing with /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT and see if it makes a
difference. You could try changing the setting on the printer to
PostScript, but that would mess up people printing with PCL.

Paul
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-09-01 16:20:07 UTC
Post by Paul Anderson
Post by Jan-Erik Söderholm
A "Xerox Phaser 3250" (I think it was) printer was replaced with
a new "Xerox B120" printer some time ago. That printer begun to
print a number of PS source code on like 40 pages before the
actual page the user expected is printed.
Try printing with /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT and see if it makes a
difference.  You could try changing the setting on the printer to
PostScript, but that would mess up people printing with PCL.
Paul
OK.

I'll try that tomorrow when the porsonell are at the printer
to monitor the outcome.

Now, the production printouts are not done via the PRINT command.
It is "printed" by a spooled LTA device that points to a queue
that in turn points to the DCPS queue.

So the application simply opens a device (LTAxxx) and prints to
that one. I guess long time ago, these was directly connected
printers on DS200 servers with no spooling or quemgr at all.

$ sh dev lta9960:

Device Device Error
Name Status Count
LTA9960: Online spooled 0

$ sh que lta9960
Logical queue LTA9960, idle, assigned to PRSEHSQ190

$ show que PRSEHSQ190
Printer queue PRSEHSQ190, idle, on HV06::"IP_LPD/10.32.141.190", mounted
form DEF_CHAR_SW (stock=DEFAULT)
$

So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
Simon Clubley
2021-09-01 18:20:04 UTC
$ show que PRSEHSQ190
Printer queue PRSEHSQ190, idle, on HV06::"IP_LPD/10.32.141.190", mounted
form DEF_CHAR_SW (stock=DEFAULT)
$
So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
You can't (at least not directly).

However, if the "force Postscript mode" commands are purely from VMS
to the printer without needing to process any responses from the
printer, you _may_ be able to send the same commands using a device
control library for your form above.

See define/form/setup to get started.

I've used them in the past and they worked well for the various
types of printer devices I encountered back then.

Is it possible to switch to using DCPS instead of LPD ?

2021-09-01 18:31:37 UTC
$ show que PRSEHSQ190
Printer queue PRSEHSQ190, idle, on HV06::"IP_LPD/10.32.141.190", mounted
form DEF_CHAR_SW (stock=DEFAULT)
$
So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
You can't (at least not directly).
Interesting. It looks like I am completely wrong about this. Sorry.

When I saw the LPD reference, I didn't realise it was now a part of DCPS
until I read the original message. (It's been a number of years since
I used DCPS and LPD was something different back then).

If it works the same way as the DCPS port 9100 printers I used back in
those days, you will be able to alter the DCPS startup command procedure
to include that option on the queue as a default option (which can be
overridden with a specific print command if required).

Sorry for the initial bad advice.

2021-09-01 22:51:21 UTC
[...]
Simon.
No problem. LPD is just a way to get some data over to the printer.
You can do that using a native LPD printer symbiont, or anything else
(like DCPS) can use that protocol. The difference is mainly that port
515 is used for LPD and 9100 for "raw" printout. Maybe some different
handshaking going on...

Now, our printouts works just fine on a similar Zerox Phaser 3250,
so it might be some small differences in how the printer firmware
detects different printer languages. In this case (a slightly cheaper
printer than the Phaser), it doesn't detect the PS code and simply
prints out 40 pages of PS code instead...

We might set this printer to not use DCPS and print the raw text
instead. It is just plain ASCII with no control characters (apart
from the <CR><LF> for each line) pr other printer commands...

But thanks anyway!

Jan-Erik.
Paul Anderson
2021-09-02 00:31:53 UTC
So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
Try setting parameter P4 in DCPS$STARTUP.COM to "DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT"
or define a system logical name DCPS$queuename_PARAMETER to
"DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT". These should be applied to the DCPS queue, not
the LAT queue.

Paul
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-09-02 07:00:19 UTC
So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
Try setting parameter P4 in DCPS$STARTUP.COM to "DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT" or
define a system logical name DCPS$queuename_PARAMETER to
"DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT".  These should be applied to the DCPS queue, not the
LAT queue.
Paul
OK, That will force DCPS to Postscript, if I understand correctly.
Will try that and we'll see if that forces the printer over to PS
emulation.

Is there a similar way to force DCPS to send plain text? The real
printout doesn't need Postscript. But then, one could just as well
use a non-DCPS queue, I guess, such as TCPIP$LPD_SMB.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-09-02 07:35:38 UTC
So if the /PARAMETERS=DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT, how to include that
in this setup?
Try setting parameter P4 in DCPS$STARTUP.COM to "DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT" or
define a system logical name DCPS$queuename_PARAMETER to
"DATA_TYPE=POSTSCRIPT".  These should be applied to the DCPS queue, not the
LAT queue.
Paul
OK, That will force DCPS to Postscript, if I understand correctly.
Will try that and we'll see if that forces the printer over to PS
emulation.
Is there a similar way to force DCPS to send plain text? The real
printout doesn't need Postscript. But then, one could just as well
use a non-DCPS queue, I guess, such as TCPIP$LPD_SMB.
I haven't followed this thread in detail. A few months ago, I bought a
Brother printer and set up a TCPIP queue. It prints plain text as plain
text and PostScript as PostScript.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-09-02 07:38:43 UTC
[...]
Yes, if the emulation automation in the printer workz fine and is bug-free,
this usually works OK. We have had few issues with the Xerox "Phaser" and
"WorkCenter" families of printers.