field test - what can done for the newcomers?
calliet gérard
2021-08-06 15:26:59 UTC
Hello,

I'm just beginning to really use the field test, and the associated
itanium cross-compilation tools.

Very impressive the more than 900 files there. But there is no
documentation, just to know for example what for are some objects.

I am ashamed to say my VMS culture is not sufficient to guess everything.

I don't want to disturb VSI with beginners questions. Is there somewhere
some docs, advice, feedbacks?

Anticipated thanks,

Gérard Calliet
2021-08-06 19:47:58 UTC
Post by calliet gérard
Hello,
I'm just beginning to really use the field test, and the associated
itanium cross-compilation tools.
Very impressive the more than 900 files there. But there is no
documentation, just to know for example what for are some objects.
I am ashamed to say my VMS culture is not sufficient to guess everything.
I don't want to disturb VSI with beginners questions. Is there somewhere
some docs, advice, feedbacks?
Anticipated thanks,
Gérard Calliet
The cross-tools does come with an installation guide and release notes for the compilers.

There is a setup command file to define a bunch of logical names so the cross-compilers will use the x86 headers.

All of those object files and object libraries are for the cross-linker to link against.

I will admit that we're not completely consistent with how each tool is accessed. For example, C has its own DCL verb, XCC. BLISS uses syntax qualifiers like /X32 and /X64. Pascal, COBOL, Fortran, Linker, MESSAGE, CDU reuse the standard DCL verb and just point logicals at the cross-tool (which hides the Itanium version from you). The librarian and analyze can actually do both Itanium and x86 with the images on the cross-tools kit.
calliet gérard
2021-08-09 17:27:57 UTC
Post by calliet gérard
[...]
Something are a little bit esoteric, like the sda*x86_on_ia64.exe, the
difference between BLISS and XBLISS.

Just to do crash analysis? Crashed on x86, analyzed on Itanium? Or
something else?

Like an x86 emulator on itanium? (joke)