source code for vms 5.5
calliet gérard
2021-07-29 15:20:06 UTC
Hello,

I have the same question as mr. abrsvc. I need a copy of the source code
of vms 5.5 . I say, legally, and I can pay for that.

Because it's a lot more clear than newer versions :)

Any way welcomed.

Gérard Calliet
2021-07-29 15:31:47 UTC
Post by calliet gérard
Hello,
I have the same question as mr. abrsvc. I need a copy of the source code
of vms 5.5 . I say, legally, and I can pay for that.
Because it's a lot more clear than newer versions :)
Any way welcomed.
Gérard Calliet
Your question is a bit different than mine. I have a copy of V5.5 source listings and have questioned the existence of the "written permission" recorded in the listings headers. I assumed (and someone here agreed) that the legal acquisition of the listings essentially IS that written permission.

Your question now is whether or not you can acquire old listings legally. Since DEC (owner at the time) can't provide permission any more, can you legally purchase these from someone that does own them legally. This I can't answer and hope someone here can...
Simon Clubley
2021-07-29 17:22:58 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Your question now is whether or not you can acquire old listings legally. Since DEC (owner at the time) can't provide permission any more, can you legally purchase these from someone that does own them legally. This I can't answer and hope someone here can...
Is there a clause in the source code listings licence agreement that
you signed which says you cannot resell your copy of the listings to
someone else ?

For such a product, I would expect a clause comparable to this and
if it is present, then there is your answer.

I don't recall a specific agreement. I bought and paid for a subscription for these source listings similar to a software support contract. I no longer have any paperwork for it as it was over 30 years ago. I don't recall anything in regards to selling (and am not interested in selling them anyway).
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2021-07-29 18:12:08 UTC
=20
Your question now is whether or not you can acquire old listings legall=
y. Since DEC (owner at the time) can't provide permission any more, can you=
legally purchase these from someone that does own them legally. This I can=
't answer and hope someone here can...
Is there a clause in the source code listings licence agreement that=20
you signed which says you cannot resell your copy of the listings to=20
someone else ?=20
=20
For such a product, I would expect a clause comparable to this and=20
if it is present, then there is your answer.=20
=20
Simon.=20
=20
--=20
I don't recall a specific agreement. I bought and paid for a subscription =
for these source listings similar to a software support contract. I no lon=
ger have any paperwork for it as it was over 30 years ago. I don't recall =
anything in regards to selling (and am not interested in selling them anywa=
y).
I'm fairly confident that I still have the aggreement filed away. If I can get
a few moments in the next couple of days, I'll dig it out. I'm quite busy with
readying for events Saturday and Sunday, and I've already faffed about two full
days this week because my kid sister is visiting from SC.

2021-07-31 15:43:27 UTC
Your question is a bit different than mine. I have a copy of V5.5 source l=
istings and have questioned the existence of the "written permission" recor=
ded in the listings headers. I assumed (and someone here agreed) that the =
legal acquisition of the listings essentially IS that written permission.
Your question now is whether or not you can acquire old listings legally. =
Since DEC (owner at the time) can't provide permission any more, can you le=
gally purchase these from someone that does own them legally. This I can't=
answer and hope someone here can...
You can purchase the physical media but you cannot purchase the license to
read them from the owner of such a license.

The problem is that I suspect you also will be unable to purchase the
license from HPE as well.

So if someone does not already have the source license, they are out of luck.
But if they have a source license already there is no reason you cannot sell
the fiche kit to them.
2021-08-01 23:55:57 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
You can purchase the physical media but you cannot purchase the license to
read them from the owner of such a license.
The problem is that I suspect you also will be unable to purchase the
license from HPE as well.
I wonder if anyone has traded in a source kit licence as part of
the trade-in program HP (or HPE) runs ? There's still the matter of
signing a new source kit licence agreement however.

2021-07-31 15:39:34 UTC
Post by calliet gérard
I have the same question as mr. abrsvc. I need a copy of the source code
of vms 5.5 . I say, legally, and I can pay for that.
Because it's a lot more clear than newer versions :)
Any way welcomed.
bitsavers.org has a copy of the 4.7 fiche, and they might have newer ones
too. Likely if you can show them that you have a source license and
are willing to pay for duplication and a little donation they would
be willing to make you copies.