Itanium2 "in the news"
Add Reply
Neil Rieck
2020-09-28 12:57:53 UTC
When reading most blogs, one would think that the computing world has been reduced to only x86-64 and ARM. That is why I was surprised to see this recent blurb from HPE promoting Itanium machines

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=4aa3-9071enw

Now I should point out that this advert only promotes HP-UX. Remember that it is the OpenVMS from VSI is the only version of OpenVMS qualified to run multi-core Itanium.

https://vmssoftware.com/

Neil Rieck
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
http://neilrieck.net
Rich Jordan
HP is now at the "VMS? OpenVMS? What's that? Never heard of it..." stage. That was only a small change from where they've been for years.
Stephen Hoffman
2020-09-28 18:49:49 UTC
Post by Neil Rieck
When reading most blogs, one would think that the computing world has
been reduced to only x86-64 and ARM. That is why I was surprised to see
this recent blurb from HPE promoting Itanium machines
HPE is probably looking to clear some stock for the upcoming end of the
HPE fiscal year, and for the last-order date for I6 later this year.

There's also the new hardware arriving with VSI OpenVMS V8.4-2L3.
Post by Neil Rieck
Now I should point out that this advert only promotes HP-UX.
HP-UX and the iron are the HPE products here, so that's unsurprising.
Post by Neil Rieck
Remember that it is the OpenVMS from VSI is the only version of
OpenVMS qualified to run multi-core Itanium.
Tukwila i2 dual- and quad-core is qualified with the HPE OpenVMS V8.4
UPDATE 5 remaster and later. All Poulson i4 and Kittson i6 require VSI
OpenVMS for support. Hondo here wholly unheeded.