cluster-wide logical-name tables
2021-06-04 17:55:11 UTC
On 8.4, logical names SHOW as, e.g.
"WRK" [super,clusterwide]
which presumably indicates that the corresponding table is cluster-wide.
That is on 8.4.
On 7.3-2, the ",clusterwide" is missing, though the same table is being
SHOWn.
Any way to find out on older versions of VMS whether a table is
cluster-wide?
Find the table it is defined in, then look at that table?
2021-06-04 18:01:56 UTC
On 8.4, logical names SHOW as, e.g.
"WRK" [super,clusterwide]
which presumably indicates that the corresponding table is cluster-wide.
That is on 8.4.
On 7.3-2, the ",clusterwide" is missing, though the same table is being
SHOWn.
Any way to find out on older versions of VMS whether a table is
cluster-wide?
Find the table it is defined in, then look at that table?
Yes, that's the question: how, exactly, to look at the table to
determine if it is cluster-wide.
Chris Townley
2021-06-04 18:23:01 UTC
On 8.4, logical names SHOW as, e.g.
"WRK" [super,clusterwide]
which presumably indicates that the corresponding table is cluster-wide.
That is on 8.4.
On 7.3-2, the ",clusterwide" is missing, though the same table is being
SHOWn.
Any way to find out on older versions of VMS whether a table is
cluster-wide?
Find the table it is defined in, then look at that table?
Yes, that's the question: how, exactly, to look at the table to
determine if it is cluster-wide.
You could try show logi/cluster and see if it turns up there!

I remember messing around with cluster logicals a while back on IA646,
but don't have access to a cluster any more
2021-06-04 18:41:57 UTC
On 8.4, logical names SHOW as, e.g.
"WRK" [super,clusterwide]
which presumably indicates that the corresponding table is cluster-wide.
That is on 8.4.
On 7.3-2, the ",clusterwide" is missing, though the same table is being
SHOWn.
Any way to find out on older versions of VMS whether a table is
cluster-wide?
Find the table it is defined in, then look at that table?
Yes, that's the question: how, exactly, to look at the table to
determine if it is cluster-wide.
You could try show logi/cluster and see if it turns up there!
Works on 8.4, but not 7.3-2.
Post by Chris Townley
I remember messing around with cluster logicals a while back on IA646,
but don't have access to a cluster any more
An interesting concept is a table with restricted access with parent
table LNM$SYSCLUSTER.
Chris Townley
2021-06-04 19:14:26 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
I remember messing around with cluster logicals a while back on IA646,
but don't have access to a cluster any more
An interesting concept is a table with restricted access with parent
table LNM$SYSCLUSTER.
Sorry - I only have access to 8.3 or 8.4-2L1

Can the show logical/structure help?

Dave Froble
2021-06-04 18:08:14 UTC
On 8.4, logical names SHOW as, e.g.
"WRK" [super,clusterwide]
which presumably indicates that the corresponding table is cluster-wide.
That is on 8.4.
On 7.3-2, the ",clusterwide" is missing, though the same table is being
SHOWn.
Any way to find out on older versions of VMS whether a table is
cluster-wide?
Easy. Don't run old versions. There are reasons new versions exist.
To fix problems, and add new features.

Your problem was fixed in V8.4, so, run V8.4.