OpenVMS Alpha V7.3x source listings
2021-07-26 15:36:07 UTC
Anyone have a copy of the above? Looking for V7.3, 7.3-1, and/or V7.3-2 listings to track down a crash. Let me know if these are available anywhere.

Thanks,
Dan
Volker Halle
2021-07-26 16:14:19 UTC
Dan,

what do you need ? Maybe I can help...

Volker.
abrsvc
2021-07-26 16:23:05 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
Dan,
what do you need ? Maybe I can help...
Volker.
Customer had a BADHDR crash and the most "recent" V7 listings I have are for V7.2-1h1. The module referenced does not match at all the crash which was for V7.3 (not sure if any upgrades done to either -1 or -2). The module in question called out by Clue Crash is com_std$post_nocnt. The crash dump is being transferred to me (don't have it yet). I'm just looking to see where to start.

2021-07-26 16:43:13 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Customer had a BADHDR crash and the most "recent" V7 listings I have
are for V7.2-1h1. The module referenced does not match at all the
crash which was for V7.3 (not sure if any upgrades done to either -1
or -2). The module in question called out by Clue Crash is
com_std$post_nocnt. The crash dump is being transferred to me (don't
have it yet). I'm just looking to see where to start.
After V7.3 was released, there was only one interesting change in the V7.3 releases (in Nov 2001)

; In the I/O post routines queue the IRP on the current CPU, if the
; UCB$V_IOPOST_LOCAL bit is set.
; Optimize the codeflow for the various flavours of COM(_STD)$POST
; and COM(_STD)$POST_NOCNT to have the same prologue so they can
; branch to a common code and are treated equally.

After that, there was a change made in Jan 2003 related to IA64 porting

; Update COM_STD$POST and COM_STD$POST_NOCNT to correctly
; obtain arguments for IA64.

and a change in Mar 2003 related to tracing and performance monitoring.

; Add conditionalized code to call io_trace rtn
; if PMS$GL_TDCBLK is enabled and there is a trace rtn.
Volker Halle
2021-07-27 06:53:45 UTC
Dan,

there are 2 $INSQTI macro invocations in [SYS]COMDRVSUB trying to insert a packet into the IOC$GQ_POSTIQ. If this operation fails after 917504 (%x0E0000) attempts, a BADQHDR crash is declared (not a BADHDR crash as mentioned in your post !). You'll find the $INSQTI macro in LIB.MLB. And I'm sure this code did NOT change since V7.2-1H1 ...

Once you've got access to the dump, try SDA> VALI QUE/SELF IOC$POSTIQ

Volker.
abrsvc
2021-07-27 10:56:58 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
Dan,
there are 2 $INSQTI macro invocations in [SYS]COMDRVSUB trying to insert a packet into the IOC$GQ_POSTIQ. If this operation fails after 917504 (%x0E0000) attempts, a BADQHDR crash is declared (not a BADHDR crash as mentioned in your post !). You'll find the $INSQTI macro in LIB.MLB. And I'm sure this code did NOT change since V7.2-1H1 ...
Once you've got access to the dump, try SDA> VALI QUE/SELF IOC$POSTIQ
Volker.
Yes, you are correct. Type. The crash was BADQHDR.
I will try the Val que/self once I get the dump.

Thanks
Timothy Stark
2021-07-26 16:06:41 UTC
Me too. I am looking for Alpha source listings for working on my emulator
as development.

Tim
2021-07-26 17:47:35 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Me too. I am looking for Alpha source listings for working on my emulator
as development.
Hang on everyone, hang on. :-(

You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(

Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.

If you just get copies of them without approval from HPE/VSI, you risk
all kinds of legal issues.

For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.

2021-07-26 17:58:35 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Me too. I am looking for Alpha source listings for working on my emulator
as development.
Hang on everyone, hang on. :-(
You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(
Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.
If you just get copies of them without approval from HPE/VSI, you risk
all kinds of legal issues.
For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.
I don't believe that I have requested anything from anyone. I have almost all of the listings from V1 up through V7.2-1h1.
I have acquired all of these legally over the years and am willing to buy the versions I need from the appropriate location.
In the meantime, a conversation with someone that already has the listings seemed appropriate. Without knowing exactly what I
need, I assumed (incorrectly I guess) that this posting was the easiest way to start the conversation.

Please don't assume that any illegal activity was requested or occurred nor will any occur in the future.

To Robert: Thanks for the update. There may be an error in the Clue report that tagged the COM_STD$POST_NOCNT routine because
I don't see a bugcheck in that routine. Once I get the dump, I should be able to track this down further.

2021-07-26 18:04:33 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Timothy Stark
[...]
Hello Dan,

Read carefully what I said and note that I chose to reply to Tim
discussing his request and what that could mean for him instead of
replying to you.

Volker Halle
2021-07-26 18:05:04 UTC
Dan,

would you be willing and able to send me the CLUE file via mail ? I still have a large repository of OpenVMS crash footprints and information, as I have been the CANASTA maintainer at Digital/Compaq/HP for quite some time.

I still work for Invenate and my work mail address has not changed in the last 17 years...

Volker.
abrsvc
Please contact me directly. Thanks for the offer.
Dave Froble
2021-07-26 19:52:00 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Me too. I am looking for Alpha source listings for working on my emulator
as development.
Hang on everyone, hang on. :-(
Hang on everyone, Simon's off the deep end, again ...
Post by Simon Clubley
You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(
Sure you can ...
Post by Simon Clubley
Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.
Nobody wants to use them, just to read them.
Post by Simon Clubley
If you just get copies of them without approval from HPE/VSI, you risk
all kinds of legal issues.
Call HPe, say "VMS", and you'll get something like "what's that?"
Post by Simon Clubley
For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.
He's working on an emulator, not VMS. An Alpha emulator is not VMS.
2021-07-26 22:43:24 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.
Nobody wants to use them, just to read them.
Here is the standard copyright in our code.

! *************************************************************************
! * *
! * HPE CONFIDENTIAL. This software is confidential proprietary software *
! * licensed by Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development, LP, and is not *
! * authorized to be used, duplicated or disclosed to anyone without the *
! * prior written permission of HPE. *
! * Copyright 2019 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development, LP *
! * *
! * VMS SOFTWARE, INC. CONFIDENTIAL. This software is confidential *
! * proprietary software licensed by VMS Software, Inc., and is not *
! * authorized to be used, duplicated or disclosed to anyone without *
! * the prior written permission of VMS Software, Inc. *
! * Copyright 2019 VMS Software, Inc. *
! * *
! *************************************************************************

Notice the phrase "disclosed to anyone.."
abrsvc
Can I assume that when I paid for these listings media, that the written permission was the actual purchase?
Grant Taylor
2021-07-26 23:22:04 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Can I assume that when I paid for these listings media, that the
written permission was the actual purchase?
I would not make that assumption.

I've purchased many media kits over the years from many vendors. None
of the media kits implied any form of license. E.g. a (replacement)
media kit from Microsoft is usually $10-$20 while the license for what's
on said media kit could be anywhere between $200 and $2,000.
--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
abrsvc
Granted when there is a specific license to activate the software. I don't ever recall any specific "written" permission received with any purchase which is why I question it now. As I stated I have all of the source on fiche from V1 to V5.5-2 (last version on fiche) and others since on CD. These were purchased either directly by me or for me in the past. These are used for crash dump analysis for the most part. Now I question whether or not I need additional documentation...
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2021-07-27 13:36:44 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
You signed a special agreement to obtain the listings. You paid for their production --
fiche and later CD/DVD -- and you needed to pay a yearly subscription fee to obtain the
latest version(s).

2021-07-27 01:09:29 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
John, you're beating me up here ...

Just let me ask, was there written permission when VMS source CDs were
handed out at DECUS? Were there any rules for the recipients of those CDs?

Other than the copyright you mention above of course ....

Ya know, I've got to believe that some versions are out in the wild, and
DEC put them there ....
2021-07-27 13:31:29 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
I have no idea. I'm not a lawyer. Perhaps those CDs came with a license on the CD for a single use?

I was just sharing the current copyright.
Dave Froble
2021-07-27 17:55:44 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
Well, this thread in general is rather good. Dan has a VMS problem.
Robert made the best post. "You got a VMS problem, here's some info
that might be helpful." Thanks Robert.
2021-07-27 17:47:31 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(
Sure you can ...
That's a very irresponsible attitude to take David.
Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.
Nobody wants to use them, just to read them.
Reading them to acquire knowledge _is_ using them.
Post by Simon Clubley
For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.
He's working on an emulator, not VMS. An Alpha emulator is not VMS.
It doesn't matter. It's still contaminated knowledge that he used to
build his emulator unless he gets the listings in an authorised way.

2021-07-27 18:01:02 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(
Sure you can ...
That's a very irresponsible attitude to take David.
Dan has a customer with a VMS issue. I'd be very surprised if there was
even one person at VSI that didn't want that issue resolved. If Dan
needs to look at sources, who besides you thinks he should not?
Unless things have changed, they are a licenced product which is
covered by a strict source code licence.
Nobody wants to use them, just to read them.
Reading them to acquire knowledge _is_ using them.
Not reading them means a VMS customer has a problem that might not be
solved.
Post by Simon Clubley
For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.
He's working on an emulator, not VMS. An Alpha emulator is not VMS.
It doesn't matter. It's still contaminated knowledge that he used to
build his emulator unless he gets the listings in an authorised way.
I can give him some of my old filch listings ...
2021-07-27 18:08:00 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
For example Tim, you are going to end up contaminating your emulator
if you use knowledge from unauthorised copies of the source listings
to help create it.
He's working on an emulator, not VMS. An Alpha emulator is not VMS.
It doesn't matter. It's still contaminated knowledge that he used to
build his emulator unless he gets the listings in an authorised way.
I can give him some of my old filch listings ...
Thanks for the offer about the fiche, but as I stated before, I have all the fiche listings from V1 to V5.4-2 (last one on fiche) and many on CD since then.
Volker confirmed that for the module that is reporting the bugcheck, there have been no changes from V7.2-1H1. I have these on CD, so I am good for the moment. I await the actual dump file to move forward from here. Thanks to all for the information thus far. I will update this once I get the dump and look further.

2021-07-27 18:11:53 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
You cannot just ask for access to the VMS source listings as if they
were the Linux kernel source code. :-(
Sure you can ...
That's a very irresponsible attitude to take David.
Dan has a customer with a VMS issue. I'd be very surprised if there was
even one person at VSI that didn't want that issue resolved. If Dan
needs to look at sources, who besides you thinks he should not?
Who the hell is talking about Dan ???

I've been talking about Tim's request for source code listings for
help with building his emulator. :-( Look at who I replied to and
my comments.

As far as I am aware, Dan is not building an emulator...