Disk space alert thresholds for HP SMH
Jeremy Begg
2021-05-04 11:15:53 UTC
Hi,

I've been asked to investigate how to change the disk space alert thresholds
generated by HP Systems Management Homepage.

The system in question is running HP OpenVMS V8.4 on an rx2800 i2 server.
HPE System Management Homepage V2.2-3.0.

I'm not 100% convinced that the alert came from HP SMH. I know this system is
hooked into HP SIM at this site and I suspect that it's HP SIM which generated
the alert based on data supplied by SMH. But I have no way of knowing for sure.

The alert had this:
Incident Information:

Short Desc: metmin: Cluster Monitor Status Change - Node: Alert from HPSIM

Service Catalogue Classification: INFRASTRUCTURE SERVICES, SERVER, Submit Incident

Event Name: Cluster Monitor Status Change - Node
Event originator: metmin
Event Severity: Critical
Event received: 04-May-2021, 00:47:33
Event description: Monitor Status Change - Node

Event Details:

CMX TEXT: Disk Resource: device status on node metmin of cluster metkl became
critical.

The customer's in-house support team did some digging and found this on their
HP-SIM console system:

Event Time Saturday, 5/1/2021, 12:32 AM NZST Disk Resource: disk
_METMIN$DKA4: on node metmin of cluster metkl crossed major threshold.
Event Time Sunday, 5/2/2021, 7:39 AM NZST Disk Resource: device status on
node metmin of cluster metkl became critical.
Event Time Sunday, 5/2/2021, 7:43 AM NZST Disk Resource: disk _$100$LDA1: on
node metmin of cluster metkl crossed minor threshold.
Event Time Sunday, 5/2/2021, 7:43 AM NZST Disk Resource: disk _$100$LDA1: on
node metmin of cluster metkl crossed minor threshold.
Event Time Tuesday, 5/4/2021, 12:47 AM NZST Disk Resource: device status on
node metmin of cluster metkl became critical.
Event Time Tuesday, 5/4/2021, 12:52 AM NZST Disk Resource: disk _$100$LDA1:
on node metmin of cluster metkl crossed minor threshold.

Unfortunately for this site the disks LDA1 and DKA4 always run close to "full"
and don't need to be monitored at all.

Given the disk usage hasn't changed significantly, I asked why this alert had
not previously come up. The answer was "he’d moved something to AWS last week,
and got emails working from it that may not have working before."

Thanks,

Jeremy Begg
Stephen Hoffman
2021-05-04 17:07:39 UTC
Post by Jeremy Begg
I've been asked to investigate how to change the disk space alert
thresholds generated by HP Systems Management Homepage.
The "newest" version of SMH that's available on OpenVMS is old,
insecure, and features known and trivial exploits, and I'd seriously
consider replacing SMH with another product, or with some DCL that
pokes at the storage.

As for your question (I don't have SMH running here) try this >
https://community.hpe.com/t5/Server-Management-Systems/To-many-quot-Cluster-Monitor-Status-Change-quot-events/td-p/3650984
Phil Howell
2021-05-05 12:13:40 UTC
Post by Jeremy Begg
I've been asked to investigate how to change the disk space alert
thresholds generated by HP Systems Management Homepage.
Use a web browser to connect to your smh
Go to Tasks, Server Configuration, Disk Thresholds, Set Thresholds

You have to use your mouse to drag an icon on a 0 to 100 scale
I think the Red icon is critical
Maybe Orange and Yellow for error and warning

I think you need to allow JavaScript to run before this will work

Somewhere in smh you can also send test alerts
So you can compare message format on the receiving end