Access databases on VMS
2020-09-16 15:48:17 UTC
We have talked databases in a few threads recently.

And I had to update my hobbyist system and test that everything
is still working.

So I used the opportunity to write a lot of examples how to access
databases on VMS from various languages from both VMS and PC.

It ended up being a lot of code examples.

For Rdb: C, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Java, Kotlin, Groovy, C#,
VB.NET, PHP and VBS.

For MySQL: C, Pascal, Java, Kotlin, Groovy, C#, VB.NET, Python,
PHP and VBS.

I put it in a document, so that maybe somebody can get
some inspiration from it:

https://www.vajhoej.dk/arne/articles/vmsdb.html

Arne
Hein RMS van den Heuvel
2020-09-16 17:38:05 UTC
We have talked databases in a few threads recently.
It ended up being a lot of code examples.
https://www.vajhoej.dk/arne/articles/vmsdb.html
Thanks Arne!
Hein.
Kerry Main
2020-09-16 21:32:47 UTC
via Info-vax
Sent: September 16, 2020 11:48 AM
Subject: [Info-vax] Access databases on VMS
We have talked databases in a few threads recently.
And I had to update my hobbyist system and test that everything is still
working.
So I used the opportunity to write a lot of examples how to access
databases
on VMS from various languages from both VMS and PC.
It ended up being a lot of code examples.
For Rdb: C, Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Java, Kotlin, Groovy, C#, VB.NET, PHP
and
VBS.
For MySQL: C, Pascal, Java, Kotlin, Groovy, C#, VB.NET, Python, PHP and
VBS.
I put it in a document, so that maybe somebody can get some inspiration
https://www.vajhoej.dk/arne/articles/vmsdb.html
Arne
Arne - just curious if you have ever looked at this new DB for OpenVMS
called SharkSQL?

As I understand it, among other things, the goal is to simplify app
development for programmers and push more of the complexities into the DB/OS
level.

http://www.sharksql.com/DOCUMENTATION/SharkSQL%20Bootcamp%202017.pdf

Your thoughts?

(performs better than MySQL btw)

2020-09-16 22:29:05 UTC
just curious if you have ever looked at this new DB for OpenVMS called
SharkSQL?
Other than the ~three year old bootcamp presentation, and a partner
link at the VSI website, there's little to look at, and nothing to
install.

There's also the (unrelated?) Shark SQL package that's part of Apache,
though that package was renamed Spark SQL.
2020-09-17 07:10:08 UTC
There's also the (unrelated?) Shark SQL package that's part of Apache,
though that package was renamed Spark SQL.
Mind your p's and q's. :-)

Arne Vajhøj
2020-09-16 23:47:21 UTC