FLASH ! Questions about C7000 and blades
Add Reply
David Turner
2021-05-18 12:23:09 UTC
So we sell blades We all know that

BUT, How does one update and control the Virtual Connect devices without
FLASH ina C3000/C7000???

Since Flash has been ABOLISHED from the world, I have a couple of
customers who are literally pulling their hair out trying to configure
these virtual connect devices.

Was there some replacement we are not aware of?

The OAs are not the problem. The issue is when you get a virtual connect
module with "older firmware" which most of them have, it is HELL trying
to update them. Once updated they require Flash to configure

Is there some special program we are missing here? That does not depend
on Flash
I am guessing this has been discussed here some time recently as Flash
has been disabled since Jan 21

HELP !

David
Kenneth Randell
Upgrade to Virtual Connect 4.85 and that will solve your problem.
David Turner
2021-05-18 13:05:05 UTC
Yep
Did that
But FLASH still not let us configure the Virtual connect modules
Bill Hall
2021-05-18 13:41:49 UTC
I've had to use the VCM CLI to reassign profiles to recover from a blade failure to get around the Flash issue. The CLI doc covers a VC domain configuration also. This url will get you the 4.85 CLI doc https://psnow.ext.hpe.com/doc/a00102213en_us.

Bill
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "flash drive".
Dennis Boone
2021-05-18 14:57:36 UTC
Post by David Turner
Since Flash has been ABOLISHED from the world, I have a couple of
customers who are literally pulling their hair out trying to configure
these virtual connect devices.
Two thoughts I don't see mentioned in this thread yet -

I know some people maintain older versions of operating system / browser
in a vm to deal with this.

There's a GNU flash implementation (gnash) that might be pressed into
service, though you'd have to work out the URL for the flash bundle from
the device, etc.

De
Tym Stegner
De
Andy Burns
2021-05-18 16:26:55 UTC
it's only "soft" abolished, see recent p6000 flash thread.
David Turner
2021-05-18 18:09:54 UTC
Well I sent up a laptop with Ubuntu 18 and installed the flash plugin.
Worked when testing on the flash test site easily found out there
Thing is, flash on Linux always seems to be buggy. ALways had problems
with it on Debian based boxes.
It didn't work for him
Michael Moroney
2021-05-18 20:30:37 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by David Turner
Since Flash has been ABOLISHED from the world
it's only "soft" abolished, see recent p6000 flash thread.
Similar to Tym's NT box, a workaround I've heard about (but never tried)
is to locate an older version of Firefox or something from one of the
bitsavers type websites as well as a Flash kit, disconnect from the net
and install the ancient browser and Flash. You can't let it access the
net else it'll update the browser to the latest Flash-free version and
uninstall Flash.
Arne Vajhøj
2021-05-19 00:28:36 UTC
Post by Michael Moroney
Post by David Turner
Well I sent up a laptop with Ubuntu 18 and installed the flash plugin.
Worked when testing on the flash test site easily found out there
Thing is, flash on Linux always seems to be buggy. ALways had problems
with it on Debian based boxes.
It didn't work for him
Similar to Tym's NT box, a workaround I've heard about (but never tried)
is to locate an older version of Firefox or something from one of the
bitsavers type websites as well as a Flash kit, disconnect from the net
and install the ancient browser and Flash. You can't let it access the
net else it'll update the browser to the latest Flash-free version and
uninstall Flash.
I do not know much about Flash and nothing about these devices.

But I believe that Flash works like:
- HTML page reference Flash URL
- browser download Flash and activate Flash plugin

So would it be possible to:
- go top the web page with a new browser without Flash plugin
- download the Flash file manual
- open the Flash file with a standalone Flash player
?

Arne
Tym Stegner
2021-05-19 13:36:16 UTC
That is how it's supposed to work.

However, the 'download' page informs the user that Flash is discontinued, and nothing is downloaded.

MikeM's above suggestion appears to be the way to go...

-TJ
2021-05-19 15:17:18 UTC
Post by Tym Stegner
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Michael Moroney
Post by David Turner
[...]
I just tried this with FF 88.0.1:
* got page with embedded SWF
* save link on SWF URL
and then open SWF with standalone player.

It worked.

Arne
p***@gmail.com
2021-05-26 14:16:49 UTC
Post by Tym Stegner
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Michael Moroney
Post by David Turner
[...]
ok I've downloaded 38.0 of FF what Flash should I get? and I've disabled the automatic update. so I can stay on the net which I would have to do to reach the VCM.

thanks
Paul