Open source terminal emulators, was: Re: DECnet Phase IV broken after VSI update
2021-11-01 19:21:39 UTC
Emulators are fine. But we need VT200 emulation and terminal
type set to VT200 (or higher).
What extra capabilities do you need? All the ones that are worth
implementing should already be in the available open-source
emulators.
Editing keypad (this is NOT the numeric keypad placed into application
keypad mode, but an extra smaller keypad).

Function keys.

8-bit escape sequence support.

None of these are present in VT100-only terminal emulators.

Also, a good number of years ago, I went through a good range of
Linux-based open source terminal emulators, and many of them were
useless when it came to using them fully with VMS, so I stuck with
PuTTY and xterm (with keyboard remappings) as both of these are
rock solid for me.

Many of the open source terminal emulators I tried only did the display
part of terminal emulation and forgot about the DEC keyboard emulation
part (ie: application keypad mode, function keys, editing keypad).

Some couldn't even display output from VMS-specific programs, such
as EVE, correctly.

Have things improved in recent years or is it still PuTTY and xterm
if you need to use a rock solid Linux based terminal emulator to
connect to VMS and use _all_ of the DEC terminal functionality,
including full DEC keyboard functionality ?

A really good test for me at the time was to try using EDT or EVE
(in EDT mode) with some of these open source emulators and see if they
failed immediately or lasted for as long as 30 seconds before failing.

I also tried using them with emacs configured for EDT keypad mode and
got pretty much the same result when testing DEC keyboard emulation.

dthi...@gmail.com
2021-11-02 01:40:19 UTC
8 bit support is a critical feature.
PuTTY does do 8-bit; note that Putty's identification sequence is hard-coded, so SET TERM /INQUIRE will always identify it as a VT102.

You can override this by setting the terminal type manually. SET TERM /DEV=<pick> /EIGHT. You can even make color work if you set the color attribute manually.

It also helps if you set the font to DEC MCS. :-)
Arne Vajhøj