First non-VSI x86 application port?
2021-11-07 23:23:37 UTC
From the WASD mailing list:

Pleased to announce the release of WASD v12.0 for the Alpha,
Itanium and x86-64 (V9.1-A) platforms.
Ian Miller
2021-11-08 15:57:49 UTC
Pleased to announce the release of WASD v12.0 for the Alpha,
Itanium and x86-64 (V9.1-A) platforms.
Perl was announced earlier :-)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/yBNni5v_oLk
David Jones
2021-11-08 16:19:03 UTC
Post by Ian Miller
Perl was announced earlier :-)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/yBNni5v_oLk
SQLite was ported in September. Just like the Alpha --> IA64 transition,
the 'port' is mostly re-compiling on the new platform and involves no
where near the effort required for VAX --> Alpha. The X86 cross build
environment is biggest wrinkle I've had to deal with.
Craig A. Berry
2021-11-08 17:20:28 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by Ian Miller
Perl was announced earlier :-)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/yBNni5v_oLk
SQLite was ported in September. Just like the Alpha --> IA64 transition,
the 'port' is mostly re-compiling on the new platform and involves no
where near the effort required for VAX --> Alpha. The X86 cross build
environment is biggest wrinkle I've had to deal with.
And WASD was ported back in May:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/2t1vcNS_eYo/m/ZoT-LvtSAAAJ
Simon Clubley
2021-11-08 18:32:42 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by Ian Miller
Perl was announced earlier :-)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/yBNni5v_oLk
SQLite was ported in September. Just like the Alpha --> IA64 transition,
the 'port' is mostly re-compiling on the new platform and involves no
where near the effort required for VAX --> Alpha. The X86 cross build
environment is biggest wrinkle I've had to deal with.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/2t1vcNS_eYo/m/ZoT-LvtSAAAJ
Ok, at which point does someone come out claiming they did the earliest
port to x86-64 VMS while walking uphill to work in the snow (both ways) ? :-)

2021-11-08 21:17:05 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by Ian Miller
Perl was announced earlier :-)
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/yBNni5v_oLk
SQLite was ported in September. Just like the Alpha --> IA64 transition,
the 'port' is mostly re-compiling on the new platform and involves no
where near the effort required for VAX --> Alpha. The X86 cross build
environment is biggest wrinkle I've had to deal with.
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.os.vms/c/2t1vcNS_eYo/m/ZoT-LvtSAAAJ
Maybe VSI should create a page listing "well known" software already
available for VMS x86-64.
That could create a positive impression of the state of the port.
Arne
Until there are native compilers, I would not go that far. Perhaps ported and tested,
but "available"? Beyond my comfort level.
You didn't hear this from me :) but we already have clang running on x86 and we're just days away from attempting to link a native BLISS compiler using LLVM 10.0.1 as our first landing spot.
Simon Clubley
2021-11-09 18:47:37 UTC
You didn't hear this from me :) but we already have clang running on x86 and we're just days away from attempting to link a native BLISS compiler using LLVM 10.0.1 as our first landing spot.
Does that mean you have CMake running under VMS ?

If so, would CMake build on Alpha as well, or is the port x86-64 specific ?

BTW, what build files are you generating ? Is it "Unix Makefiles" ?

Also BTW, does the "-target" option work for your port of clang and
does it support the usual target triples ? :-)

That last question is strictly just a "just curious" BTW. :-)

2021-11-09 20:57:36 UTC
You didn't hear this from me :) but we already have clang running on x86 and we're just days away from attempting to link a native BLISS compiler using LLVM 10.0.1 as our first landing spot.
Does that mean you have CMake running under VMS ?
If so, would CMake build on Alpha as well, or is the port x86-64 specific ?
BTW, what build files are you generating ? Is it "Unix Makefiles" ?
Also BTW, does the "-target" option work for your port of clang and
does it support the usual target triples ? :-)
That last question is strictly just a "just curious" BTW. :-)
I didn't say where we built it. :) Currently built on Linux using a modified clang, linked on OpenVMS x86. Building on OpenVMS is the next step. We only configured the x86-64 target for the build. It is slow enough as it is. And yes, we did the same thing with libcxx and libcxxabi (which is still a work in progress)

We're working on CMake.
Lawrence D’Oliveiro
2021-11-09 21:28:05 UTC
We're working on CMake.
Will your patches be going back upstream?

Because the last thing you want to do is maintain your own proprietary fork.
John Reagan
2021-11-10 13:25:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence D’Oliveiro
Post by John Reagan
We're working on CMake.
Will your patches be going back upstream?
Because the last thing you want to do is maintain your own proprietary fork.
The CMake code already comes with ifdef's for __VMS. For OpenVMS, it uses
vfork()/execvp(). Most of our "work" on CMake is shaking out our header changes
and such. I should say "started porting CMake to help shaking out other issues".
We're currently working on the personality routines in libcxxabi because of it.
John Reagan
In fairness, that vfork() change might have been make inside VSI. I'm now checking in it.
Dave Froble
2021-11-09 18:49:16 UTC
Post by David Jones
Post by Ian Miller
[...]
Too late! I heard that.

Congratulations and thanks for what you've done so far. Keep up the excellent
work.

When will I not hear that anyone is thinking about Basic?
I'm currently fighting with BASIC MAPs. Fortran generates reasonable GEM CIL and symbol table for COMMON blocks, but BASIC uses a "clever" sequence of symbol tables that the GEM to LLVM converter was unprepared for. I think I grok it.
Hunter Goatley
2021-11-10 01:20:26 UTC
I have started building some of my freeware for OpenVMS X86_64, too. You
can find them in the OpenVMS Resource Center on the Process Software
website:

https://www.process.com/resources/openvms/index.html

This ungainly URL will display the packages that run on OpenVMS X86_64 now.

http://vms.process.com/scripts/fileserv/fileserv_search.exe?package=&description=&author=&system=x86

There are only two right now, but I hope to add more soon.
--
Hunter
------