OpenLDAP versions...
2021-08-25 21:25:50 UTC
Hi.

Today I got a mail from VSI saying that there is a new kit
called LDAP-V0204-59A-1 available. And I guess that one
supersedes LDAP-V0204-57A-1 which is the one we currently have.

It also says that the new kit is based on OpenLDAP V2.4.59a.

Finally the mail links to
https://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html
where one should be able to see the changes. That openLDAP.org
page talks about OpenLDAP versions 2.5.4, 2.5.5, 2.5.6 and 2.5.7.

Does anyone know how these OpenLDAP versions works? I can understand
the link from "V0204-59A" to "V2.4.59a". But I do not understand the
links to "2.5.4, 2.5.5, 2.5.6 and 2.5.7".

B.t.w, we have been using ACME LDAP to for the logins from our test
system now since early summer and it actually works very well. The
plan is to have the prod system switched over from UAF to AD logins
before end of September.

Regards, Jan-Erik.
Simon Clubley
2021-08-26 17:36:46 UTC
Hi.
Today I got a mail from VSI saying that there is a new kit
called LDAP-V0204-59A-1 available. And I guess that one
supersedes LDAP-V0204-57A-1 which is the one we currently have.
It also says that the new kit is based on OpenLDAP V2.4.59a.
Finally the mail links to
https://www.openldap.org/software/release/changes.html
where one should be able to see the changes. That openLDAP.org
page talks about OpenLDAP versions 2.5.4, 2.5.5, 2.5.6 and 2.5.7.
Does anyone know how these OpenLDAP versions works? I can understand
the link from "V0204-59A" to "V2.4.59a". But I do not understand the
links to "2.5.4, 2.5.5, 2.5.6 and 2.5.7".
I don't use OpenLDAP, but I had a quick look since no-one else answered.

It looks like OpenLDAP currently maintain two branches, the current
2.5.x branch and the older 2.4.x branch. The latter one is what VSI
appear to be using.

Based on date stamps, the 2.5.x branch looks to have only become stable
this year, but the changes page linked above looks like it only has the
2.5.x changes and not the 2.4.x changes as well.

BTW, I hope VSI are working with OpenLDAP (and other open source products
within VMS) to actually integrate the VMS specific code into the main
distribution instead of having to modify the standard OpenLDAP distribution
over and over again whenever there is a new release.

2021-08-27 15:38:56 UTC
[...]
It's a little odd that the OpenLDAP site only has release notes for the
2.5.x series when they are clearly maintaining both 2.4.x and 2.5.x for
now. Most likely VSI put the link in their documentation when the site
reflected 2.4.x. I did find the following message in the archives of
the OpenLDAP announcement mailing list regarding the 2.4.59 release,
Post by Simon Clubley
BTW, I hope VSI are working with OpenLDAP (and other open source products
within VMS) to actually integrate the VMS specific code into the main
distribution instead of having to modify the standard OpenLDAP distribution
over and over again whenever there is a new release.
It's nice to see when it happens, but I seriously doubt they have the
resources to do that for everything. A lot of open source projects now
require active involvement and proof of testing or even continuous
integration.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-08-27 15:59:28 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
BTW, I hope VSI are working with OpenLDAP (and other open source products
within VMS) to actually integrate the VMS specific code into the main
distribution instead of having to modify the standard OpenLDAP distribution
over and over again whenever there is a new release.
It's nice to see when it happens, but I seriously doubt they have the
resources to do that for everything.  A lot of open source projects now
require active involvement and proof of testing or even continuous
integration.
I see little reason to follow every new release as long as everything
"works" fine as it is.

We currently have what is based on 2.4.57a and according to VSI, the
2.4.59a just released the other day is mainly minor bugfixes. Maybe
I'll put that into our test system anyway before rolling out LDAP
in our prod environment...